Jw Pilsner Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbog

Beer Bog
Reaction score
Hi, twice now I have used JW Pilsner Malt as a base malt and have found that I don't get my required pre boil SG post mash. It always ends up a few points below.

I do BIAB and mostly use JW Ale Malt as I normally do APA's and find everytime I hit the required pre boil SG with an efficiency of 75%.

The brew program I use is Beer Alchemy. I don't know what I am doing wrong as everytime I use ale malt I nail it. Any ideas? Thanks. :beerbang:

Gibbo,

What are the potential SG figures for JW Pilsner and JW Ale malt in BeerAlchemy?

Promash uses 1.037 for JW Pilsner and 1.038 for JW Ale.

Wally

Wally, all it has under the ingredients is Colour:, Extract: and Moisture boxes. All are able to be changed. I did notice that Pilsner extract figure is 77% and the ale figure is 79%. Should this be changed. Thanks. :beerbang:

Its not a malt I stock so I dont have the COA to hand, however a quick Google turned up the specifications on G&Gs website.
Yield is given as 80% (FDB) Moisture at 4.5% (max) and Fine/Coarse difference isnt give so assuming ~1% your yield is going to be 74.5% CGAI (coarse grind as is).
I think if you plug 74-75% into your calculator you will be fairly close.
MHB

Wally, all it has under the ingredients is Colour:, Extract: and Moisture boxes. All are able to be changed. I did notice that Pilsner extract figure is 77% and the ale figure is 79%. Should this be changed. Thanks. :beerbang:
You could try dropping the extract figure for the Pilsner malt so that you get the correct result.
The problem with this approach is the next batch of malt you buy could have a different extract potential and you will be out again.
Ask your supplier for the Certificate of Analysis for the malt he supplies you, then set your potentials to those figures. This will be as accurate as you can get.
Otherwise you set an average figure, as the software developers do with their defaults, and just accept that you will be under or over slightly at times.
Cheers
Nige

Edit:- Slow again, MHB gives a good guide figure.

Thanks Guys, I plugged in 74% extract figure in and did some recalculations. I only need 100g more to reach the same potential BG. I'll see how it goes next brew. Cheers. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back