Just Got Back Paid( Not Sure What To Spend It On)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi brewers, just got over $1500 back pay, not sure what to spend it on. I do all grain brewing
any ideas would be good.

Hi brewers, just got over $1500 back pay, not sure what to spend it on. I do all grain brewing
any ideas would be good.

What equipment do you currently have?

any ideas would be good.

Have you got a:
Magnetic stirplate
TempMate / FridgeMate
Brewing software
Herms / Rims
Fermentation fridge
Kegerator / Keezer

The list goes on.

Hi, I run a 3 vessel gravity system

How about a herms, a new mashtun, kettle or maybe some add-ons like sight glasses, thermometers etc.

And a March pump - you're not a real brewer until you've got a March pump! ;)

Do you have a refractometer? $30 from ebay will get you one & leave you with $1470 if you don't have one. If it were me I'd get some more cornies as well as a whole heap of grain & hops. If I had some left over I'd get something nice for the missus, maybe a plate chiller.

Are you happy brewing with what you have already? I'd like a bigger kettle & sight glasses for my HLT & kettle but I can make beer without them.

You said a new mill, do you have one that yr thinking of upgrading? If you don't already have one then I'd go with a mill (not a barley crusher after the night I had on Friday).

Do you have a refractometer? $30 from ebay will get you one & leave you with $1470 if you don't have one. If it were me I'd get some more cornies as well as a whole heap of grain & hops. If I had some left over I'd get something nice for the missus, maybe a plate chiller.

Are you happy brewing with what you have already? I'd like a bigger kettle & sight glasses for my HLT & kettle but I can make beer without them.

You said a new mill, do you have one that yr thinking of upgrading? If you don't already have one then I'd go with a mill (not a barley crusher after the night I had on Friday).
With a plate chiller, do you need a pump for them? I think some more hops, grain, and try and make a 3 tier stand for my brewery

This might sound a little crazy but if you don't know what you need then you probably don't need it. Sit on it 'til required.

With a plate chiller, do you need a pump for them? I think some more hops, grain, and try and make a 3 tier stand for my brewery

Sounds feasible. I already have a stand & when I work out what I want for my new super cool stand I have a relly who said he'll make me another one for nothing (although I expect him to drink a fair amount of the beer brewed on it).

You don't need a pump for a plate chiller assuming that gravity will get yr wort through the chiller & into the fermenter. If yr looking at a new stand you could build it higher for the chiller.

Everyone needs more hops & grain, maybe more yeast as well.

I'm assuming you have a temp controlled fridge or 2 for fermenting, if not that should be top of the list.

This might sound a little crazy but if you don't know what you need then you probably don't need it. Sit on it 'til required.

That does sound crazy, stop trying to ruin our fun.

The 'Give Bongchitis a meal Appeal' is currently accepting donations... all tax deductible off course.

I'd suggest a mill and a fermenting fridge with a STC-1000 temperature controller.

Assuming that you're making either partials or AG (your brewing method isn't stated, but I figure you're probably not making K&K in a crown urn), the mill will save you money. It will mean you can buy whole sacks of grain at a substantial discount.

The fridge & temp controller will allow you to control the fermenting temperature of your beer, which will be a big plus for the flavour.

The rest of your money -- well, that really depends on what & how you want to brew. I'd suggest maybe some stuff for yeast culturing. I use a couple of 1L Schott bottles, a loop & some small screwtop test-tubie things for slants. I made a stir plate and have some Erlenmeyer flasks, but in general couldn't be bothered using them.

You don't need anything else to make beer. You could get all fancy with 3V systems, but I figure that they actually are more work. I BIAB. My insulated 50L pot has an 15A element which has a PID controller for mashing and a power controller for boiling. Sight-glass to check levels, tap & pickup tube for draining. Electric hoist above it for lifting and draining the bag.

Everything is nice and compact, easy to use and easy to clean. It's also a system that's easy to upgrade. Figure out the things that piss you off about brewing, and do something to work around it.

I'd suggest a mill and a fermenting fridge with a STC-1000 temperature controller.

Assuming that you're making either partials or AG (your brewing method isn't stated, but I figure you're probably not making K&K in a crown urn), the mill will save you money. It will mean you can buy whole sacks of grain at a substantial discount.

The fridge & temp controller will allow you to control the fermenting temperature of your beer, which will be a big plus for the flavour.

The rest of your money -- well, that really depends on what & how you want to brew. I'd suggest maybe some stuff for yeast culturing. I use a couple of 1L Schott bottles, a loop & some small screwtop test-tubie things for slants. I made a stir plate and have some Erlenmeyer flasks, but in general couldn't be bothered using them.

You don't need anything else to make beer. You could get all fancy with 3V systems, but I figure that they actually are more work. I BIAB. My insulated 50L pot has an 15A element which has a PID controller for mashing and a power controller for boiling. Sight-glass to check levels, tap & pickup tube for draining. Electric hoist above it for lifting and
draining the bag.

Everything is nice and compact, easy to use and easy to clean. It's also a system that's easy to upgrade. Figure out the
things that piss you off about brewing, and do something to work around it.

Hi, I am an all grain brewer with a 3 vessel gravity system, I think the most that pees me of is that I don't have a dedicated stand, and I want to get a chiller of some sort

Back