Just got a ounce in the mail....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
I got a few rhizomes from hopswest and also got a vac packed bag of fresh 'red earth' hops cones.

I wanna do a brew tomorrow but I've not used fresh hops before so I'm looking for a recipe that'll make the most of them.

It weighs about 215gm and smells amazing and from what I've read, the fresh to dry comparison ratio is about 6:1 - so based on the average recipe, I'm thinking the bag is good for only one addition which should probably be the aroma/final hop addition.

Any suggestions?

Or a method you could consider would be splitting between late kettle addition and dry hopping.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a new method. :D

Closer to half a pound if its the hops you are talking about, or have you already smoked the ounce.

Nah it just looked like when ya used to get a big ol' bag o stuff in the mail because you lived and worked on a small island near the Great Barrier Reef that was too far from the mainland to pick it up yourself... At least.... so I'm told....

Inhaaaaaaaaaale, exhaaaaaaaaaaale, just got an ounce in the maaaaaaaaaaaaail!

The 6 to 1 is for undried vs dried hops, not cones vs pellets. So if they were fresh off the bine you'd use that, but not for commercially dried whole hops.

ahh.. ok.. cheers Mardoo.
I think Ive got it right still (i think???) - the cones are fresh(ish) of the bine, still wet and sticky.

Philistine, this maybe thinking COMPLETELY outside the square, but how about freezing what you've got ( divvie'd up in little baggies :ph34r: ) , then brew something appropriate for the hops you've got (the Smurto's Landlord looks good), with a bittering addition only.

When it comes time to drink it, rip a baggie out of the freezer, thaw it, then chuck it into a jug-full of the basic brew & swirl it around for a bit for an amazing hit of fresh hop flavour & aroma.

Or just do it now with whatever you've got on-hand?

Just grit your teeth & strain-out the floaty-bits :D

$0.02

philistine said:
ahh.. ok.. cheers Mardoo.
I think Ive got it right still (i think???) - the cones are fresh(ish) of the bine, still wet and sticky.
Harvest was quite awhile ago AFAIK. I'd expect they've been dried. Maybe shoot the supplier an email or show them to another brewer who is familiar with cone/leaf hops. I'd be utterly shocked if they were fresh off the bine, but best ask them.

What do red earth taste like? Smell like? I'm keen to give them a try.

Latest posts

Back