Just Getting No Alcohol Kick :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tyreman

Reaction score
G'day guys....i have been brewing for approx 6months, i batch sparge AG....

my beers are starting to taste really great now and im so happy...except!

I just dont get that alcohol kick like i do when i drink megaswills and other peoples bottled beers.

I keg my beers and most start out at approx 1.045 and finish at 1.012

but i really dont ever get drunk from them...

i did the Smurto Golden ale and added an extra 900g of the base malt, but it really has made no difference exept for the taste.

I believe my efficiency is about 70%.

has anyone got any ideas as to why my beer is so boring?

im going to have a house warming in a few weeks and im going to put down 3 brews next w/e and i'd love to have a few rippers for the boys to drink...

P.S does carbonation have anything to do with it?

I notice a different alcoholic effect too but in my case I prefer it. Even if I hit it hard I feel a much more relaxed drunkenness and if any hangover results the following day, it is extremely mild.

If you're super worried for the party then just offer a choice of both HB and swill.

Try making some high gravity styles as well. Most of my beers are around the 1050-1070 mark and certainly give a kick as a couple of fellow brewers may attest. It's just a pleasant and relaxed kind of a kick.

Tyres,
Unless your brewing a big beer, like a barley wine, then the art is not to taste/feel the alcohol burn. 1045 to 1012 gives you a 4.3% ABV which is lighter on the scale of things. Maybe aim for pushing up your OG to around the 1050 ot higher?

As for getting hammered you just need to drink more mate :lol:

Chap Chap

Based upon your figures I get an ABV of 4.3%, a touch lower than most megaswills but it should still be enough to have an effect....

I predict one of two scenario's may be to blame..

1) You simply aren't drinking enough/fast enough for your body to get drunk.

2) You have drunk that much that you have a tolerance to alcohol.

I personally fit into group 2, I spent many years working pubs and thanks to that and HBing I can sink upwards of 8 schooners a night and feel mellow, but not drunk.

If you are happy with the beers as they are (excluding the alc affects) may I suggest a small addition of dextrose as an easy way to up the alc %. I know BribieG does this with great success.

EDIT: Yeah, what they said (stupid taking too long to type at this time of night). I personally aim for an OG of 1050-1060 for my session beers with an FG of 1016 being the norm. And it's also a different type of drunkenness, much akin to getting tipsy from sipping good scotch.

i agree, but i really struggle to get drunk on it....i have 1 megaswill and im immediately feeling light headed.

im a shockingly shit drinker...for the amount i drink, i have no chance of keeping up with my mates who megaswill. including the mrs :ph34r:

am i on the right track by added more malt to get the OG up? or should i look at adding sugar/dextrose or similar?

I just dont get that alcohol kick like i do when i drink megaswills and other peoples bottled beers.

i did the Smurto Golden ale and added an extra 900g of the base malt, but it really has made no difference exept for the taste.

im going to have a house warming in a few weeks and im going to put down 3 brews next w/e and i'd love to have a few rippers for the boys to drink...

Firstly, what really is your problem? No drunk, no Fev moments, no hangover?!!!

Secondly, improve efficiency or change recipe to up OG.

Thirdly,"boring" beer IMHO has nothing to do with %alc and everything to do with flavour (malt and hop characteristics)

Cheers Ken

have you tried drinking your beer out of one of those glass boots. that might help give it some "kick".

I ahve found that home brew tends to give me less hell than commercial beers- less of the wooziness and 'blech' feeling. I can still get drunk, but it's a slightly better feeling drunk than if I drank (for example) Coopers. My friends have commented in a similar way.

Boot...HAHAHA!!!

but like i said, the bottled beers, guys gave me for transporting grain....they are awesome and i get the kick from those beers....no idea what they were, but i was chirpy after a long neck of those :)

Brew this... :icon_drool2: Finished at 11.3% :icon_drunk: , if that wont fook you up, im not sure what will.... :unsure:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: The Bays Big Barleywine
Brewer: Jody Fischer
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.108 SG
Estimated Color: 25.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 92.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes
Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 kg Ale Malt (6.3 EBC) Grain 69.57 %
2.00 kg Ale - Golden Promise (6.3 EBC) Grain 17.39 %
1.00 kg Munich 1 (16.0 EBC) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 kg Caramunich 1 (90.0 EBC) Grain 4.35 %
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Newport [11.00 %] (120 min) (First Wort HHops 58.9 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs 1056 - American Ale (Wyeast) [Starter 50 mYeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: THIS IS THE MASH TO USE
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 kg ----------------------------
THIS IS THE MASH TO USE Step Time Name Description
Step Temp 90 min Step Add 30.01 L of water at 72.3 C 64.0 C

:icon_cheers: CB

I brewed my A.I.P.A today and It finished at 1064 OG, if it ferments down to 1010, it'll be 7.1%..They knock me around those beers.....

Up your OG and ferment with a hungry yeast and Mash at a low temperature..............

...or should i look at adding sugar/dextrose or similar?

Are you farkin' kidding me Tyres? That's it you're off the Christmas Card list <_<

Tickle your recipes up to a higher OG like I said earlier. PM a house recipe and I'll have a ticker for ya!

Chap Chap

Brew this... :icon_drool2: Finished at 11.3% :icon_drunk: , if that wont fook you up, im not sure what will.... :unsure:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: The Bays Big Barleywine
Brewer: Jody Fischer
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
holy mother if Christ. Yeah brew that. The hop schedule alone is worth it

Mr Tyreman

if your beer tastes good that is the main thing the boys will drink plenty of it

if it is a strong beer they feel full after a couple of beers .

I dont think you have too much to worry about, better to have a quaffing beer where everyone get happy and have a good time, than so drunk that they get boring and abuse everyone .

if your beer is boring they will probably drink it more than if you gave them a highly hopped APA

Pumpy :)

Mr Tyreman

if your beer tastes good that is the main thing the boys will drink plenty of it

if it is a strong beer they feel full after a couple of beers .

I dont think you have too much to worry about, better to have a quaffing beer where everyone get happy and have a good time, than so drunk that they get boring and abuse everyone .

if your beer is boring they will probably drink it more than if you gave them a highly hopped APA

Pumpy :)

Very good point mate...i think you guys are spot on!

So i'll just put on as much beer as i can, and have a warm slab of vb stubbies sitting in direct sunlight for the rest!

hahaha

thanx guys

I ve experienced similar issues, I have put it down in my regards to mashing temps being a couple of degree too high creating a less fermentable wort ( am blaming thermometer except for beer before last which while distracted over shot temp to about 72 ) The beer I brewed today was mashed around 66 and also had an og of around 1060 about 15 points higher than I normally brew so I will solve the problem one way or another.
Greg

What are your fermentation temps? if you ferment on the warmer side of things (but not too high obviously) you will produce a few more of the solventy type alcohols that contribute to the alcoholic kick (but also to hangovers) Big belgian beers often start fermentation cooler and finish up a few degrees warmer (say start at 20C for the first two thirds and finish at 22C or higher)

I dont think theres anything wrong with a little sugar (in the right style of beer, particularly high gravity ones) as it can keep from being overly heavy.

It's just a phase... it'll pass...

You'll brew a strong beer, it'll be thicker than you're used to, you won't want to drink as much, and you'll want a session beer again...

There's a reason beers are usually brewed with around 5%...

Back