Just Brewed Another All Grain, Brew #2..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop_shots

Reaction score
greets,

i just couldn't stay away. after sanitizing my gear I had to make another trip to the local Homebrew shop and pickup 10 lbs of 2-row and make another brew. basically, I knew I made many mistakes on sunday doing the trappist ale and figured why not just make another brew properly so if brew #1 has any issues, I'll have this to fall back on.

recipe is located here:
http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/atg.htm

it seems to be a good recipe, the person rated many of those other brews at 35/50 for taste test and this is the only one at 45/50, so I felt like it was the best brew to go for, also it's pretty simple.

Doin that first brew I didn't let the sach rest go for long enough nor did I let the mash sit at 170 long enough, (this recipe calls for 160, so I kept it at like 164 and when it got to 159 I made sure to add a quart of hotter water to balance it out.) had a 20 minute protein rest, 25 min sach rest @ 155-150, and let it sit for like an hour at 160-170 before sparging. had a much better tasting wort(not that the first brew had a bad wort, it tasted great too, but this one was just a lil sweeter, likely cuz of the longer rests.)

i had to use Target hops in place of Kent Goldings since the shop I went to only had that, and also used an ounce less of the goldings for that matter, but I think it'll turn out just fine, there were plenty of hops in there, and I even added some when the wort was cooling for finishing. Didn't do the dry hop per the instructions, but how different could it be right? im stoked. feels good to get that 2nd all grain in.

later
-Patrick

Doin that first brew I didn't let the sach rest go for long enough nor did I let the mash sit at 170 long enough, (this recipe calls for 160, so I kept it at like 164 and when it got to 159 I made sure to add a quart of hotter water to balance it out.) had a 20 minute protein rest, 25 min sach rest @ 155-150, and let it sit for like an hour at 160-170 before sparging

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash Add 15.41 qt of water at 160.9 F 150.8 F 90 min

Hey pop

Your mash temps are way too high, the recipe calls for mash in water at 160 (71C) and your mash at 150 (65C). Do a bit of a search on mash temps and I hope the rest of the day went well.

PS- Stick a temp conversion table to you computer monitor, I have one because I look at a lot of US sites.

Cheers
Jye :beer:

Sorry to tell ya man... 35/50 is the default rating in Beersmith. If it is rated at 35/50 chances are it hasn't been rated :unsure:

Latest posts

Back