Just bought an 80 litre esky. What size batch can I make?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is how big is your boil kettle? To have a nice bit of headspace in reserve (to avoid boilovers) for a double batch you are going to need a 70L pot at absolute minimum, but 90-100L is far better. I can tell you boiling a 46L batch (into the fermenter) in a 70L pot is a PITA.

GalBrew said:
The real question is how big is your boil kettle? To have a nice bit of headspace in reserve (to avoid boilovers) for a double batch you are going to need a 70L pot at absolute minimum, but 90-100L is far better. I can tell you boiling a 46L batch (into the fermenter) in a 70L pot is a PITA.
As mentioned previously, I have an old 78-80 litre keggle, so that may do the job.

On the weekend just gone, I boiled a 53 litre runoff down to 45 in a 58 litre KK keggle, using about 1 ml of boil-over insurance (hop oil) and adjusting the flame back to a mild 90 minute rolling boil. Not sure where to go when the syringe of 'insurance' runs out.

Les the Weizguy said:
As mentioned previously, I have an old 78-80 litre keggle, so that may do the job.

On the weekend just gone, I boiled a 53 litre runoff down to 45 in a 58 litre KK keggle, using about 1 ml of boil-over insurance (hop oil) and adjusting the flame back to a mild 90 minute rolling boil. Not sure where to go when the syringe of 'insurance' runs out.
I would think an 80L vessel would be ok. You may have to stick to 60 minute boils though.

I threw in a mesh plate above my manifold to help with liquid seperation.. but i know a lot of people dont bother

Does it ever end! ... So now you buy a massive kettle and realise your tun is too small... LOL! :D
</chopped>I

Keep us posted.

:icon_cheers:
I moved up to a 150 litre kettle.
Took ages to drill a hole for a tap/ valve.
Exactly my thoughts regarding a bigger MT.
Have not brewed for a while. Maybe this Summer...

Latest posts

Back