Just Ate A Hop Pellet...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BristleBeard

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I like to taste my brew at every stage so this was another heat of the moment thing. The pellet fell on the floor as I was putting some into my wort. It was an Amarillo pellet. It had that overpowering aroma so I thought f*** it, I want to know what it would be like. The first couple of seconds it tasted strange but amazing, than some intense bitterness lasted for a few minutes. I have a sip of a Pilsner I made 4 months ago, and now it tastes ultra sweet. I know this is a stupid post but has anyone had the pleasure of doing something strange with hops. Like adding it to a coffee or chucking it in their salad for that extra zing? Cheers

No but I licked my finger after getting some kit on it. I usually do that with extract cause it's nice but kit beer is HORRIBLE in condensed form. Argh.

I've a friend that's managed to trick people into doing it. He gains their trust by inviting them to try unhopped liquid malt extract and they enjoy that so much they don't think twice when he suggests a hop pellet.

Apparently the looks on their faces are priceless. :)

i chew them all the time. the trick is to chew it into a paste and flush it around your mouth before the bitterness becomes unbearable, usually about 30s. you're then left with this unpleasant aftertaste which makes the beer taste kinda cool.

I've a friend that's managed to trick people into doing it. He gains their trust by inviting them to try unhopped liquid malt extract and they enjoy that so much they don't think twice when he suggests a hop pellet.

Apparently the looks on their faces are priceless. :)

Haha, I must try that one. I'd pay to see that ;)

I haven't but my two year daughter has.....

She LOVES to help me weigh up the hops as it's one of her "special jobs" to help daddy. A while back when she first started insisting on helping I turned to grab another bag of hops from the freezer and turned back to see a very not impressed little girl with green hop flecks all over her teeth....

Ever since then she sniffs the open bags, but won't even touch the hops with her hands, only with a scoop.

I put 1/2 a pellet of amarillo in the gravy with last nights lamb shanks.
It was surprisingly good.
I think if I had used any more, or boiled it any longer it would have been too much.

I didnt tell the missus what the mystery ingredient was until we had finished and she had confirmed to me that she had enjoyed it.

I put 1/2 a pellet of amarillo in the gravy with last nights lamb shanks.
It was surprisingly good.
I think if I had used any more, or boiled it any longer it would have been too much.

I didnt tell the missus what the mystery ingredient was until we had finished and she had confirmed to me that she had enjoyed it.

I'm suddenly tempted to throw a pellet in my curry tonight!

I haven't but my two year daughter has.....

She LOVES to help me weigh up the hops as it's one of her "special jobs" to help daddy. A while back when she first started insisting on helping I turned to grab another bag of hops from the freezer and turned back to see a very not impressed little girl with green hop flecks all over her teeth....

Ever since then she sniffs the open bags, but won't even touch the hops with her hands, only with a scoop.

That is classic! I have a baby boy due in March and it those kind of moments I look forward too. I must add that since having a chew on the Amarillo, I can distinguish the Saaz in the Pilsner a little better, or at least recognise the unique taste of hops. Thanks for the awesome reponse guys. Cheers

Maple & I did it with some fresh centiennial pellets......there is no emoticon to express the facial espressions we had.

Maple & I did it with some fresh centiennial pellets......there is no emoticon to express the facial espressions we had.

Pussies! I expected more from Maple! I have been doing this recently to get a full blown idea of what kind of dry hop effect i will get, spit out the sludge then gulp down some underhopped beer. :icon_drool2: Seems to work well. Tasted great with the Centennial i did recently!

That is classic! I have a baby boy due in March and it those kind of moments I look forward too. I must add that since having a chew on the Amarillo, I can distinguish the Saaz in the Pilsner a little better, or at least recognise the unique taste of hops. Thanks for the awesome reponse guys. Cheers
When my two-year-old popped a stray hop pellet in his mouth, it was on the floor within about 2 seconds, along with the contents of his stomach. I still feel bad about it and don't recommend doing it for your amusement. A lemon wedge is funny, though. :lol:

Mine ate it of her own will, I encourage her to try to eat anything that I know won't poison her.....

One thing I never do is leave her near an open container of crystal/caramalts.....

Purely because I will lose vast quantities if I'm not careful, she loves grain.

Pussies. I get a straw and stick several hop pellets into it then use it to drink my beer.

Vindaloopulus.

Bizarre tangent but this little exchange has me seriously considering how a ginger beer might turn out with curry leaves in the boil....hmmm....

brb, pondering

Geuss I will have to wait and see - I don't see myself pushing hop pellets on the newborn :) I will be stoked if the kid even takes interest in brewing. Thanks for the response - it made brew day almost as enjoyable as the beer I was drinking. I just finished brewing an Ale with Amarillo and Cascade hops, chasing that Fat Yak beer taste. Its in the fermenter now and I still have that lingering bitterness from the hop pellet :) Cheers

yep sure have! I have eaten some, drunk some hop tea and even made ice cream with too many Nelson Sauvin Hops!

Oh and my friend snorted some..... don't ask me why!!!!? but boy did he regret it! hehehe

Heads up, Fat Yak is cascade and nelson sauvin.....

My latest attempt hit the fermenter today, shall report once it's kegged.

Latest posts

Back