July Meeting Pale Ale Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
Okay guys, why don't we turn this thread into a running tally for the pale ales we're bringing to the July meeting?

This informal competition will be run similar to the free hop tasting but this time with proper BJCP gradings and restricted to the pale ale style.

And of course, this tasting will be a precursor to the Pale Ale Mania comp in August. Hopefully the Merri Mashers will be well-represented at that comp.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. A Wry Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract

I made a Simcoe Nelson APA yesterday for the comp. I will pitch the yeast tonight and hopefully should be in its peak for the comp.

I have two beers that have been in the bottle for 2 weeks that I might be able to slot into the English and Aussie categories, but I am not 100% sure. They were not designed to the styles really, but I think they can pass. I will bring them along and people can tell me what they think.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. A Wry Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract
  2. Simcoe Nelson APA - Kris(RelaxedBrewer) AG

Good idea Kris, we should specify which sub-style of pale ale our beers will be. Those sub-styles of course being: American, English, Australian, English IPA, American IPA.
  1. A Wry Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract. English
  2. Simcoe Nelson APA - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG. American

Wish I could get something together in time. I love pale ales! I'm overseas until the start of July so unlikely to happen for me

Just kegged a cascadian APA yesterday. It's going to take a lot of will power to keep some that long! Maybe I'll have to brew it again :)
  • A Wry Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract. English
  • Simcoe Nelson APA - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG. American
  • Cascade APA - Declan :)'): AG American

Well, you only need 500mls for the Pale Ale Mania competition, so if you provide 2ltrs for the MM pre-comp then you only need to save 2.5 litres ... c'mon, willpower!

Or just brew it again :ph34r:

I just did a thing today but as usual it's a little.... weird. I'm not sure if it fits in any strict BJCP guidelines.

It's a kind of conglomeration of pale ale and wheat beer - 2/3 barley malt, 1/3 wheat. Just because I like the flavour of wheat malt. I drew from a recipe I found online.

The other departure from the 'standard' pale ale recipe, it's not hopped at all. Bitterness and flavour will come from the addition of a little mugwort, and yarrow (leaves, stems, and flowers).

As a result I call it my Clarence Yarrow Pale. I guess if anything it would be a variation of the English Pale Ale concept.

Will probably be ready by July though.

Will check stocks when I get home, should have something I can bring.

Going to try to brew this weekend. Will be an English PA or Bitter. But going away for 2 weeks at the start of July, so will have to leave it to its fate in the fridge over that time.

G&G didn't seem to have any Maris Otter, so had to order elsewhere online. Awaiting delivery now.

Bought grains & hops today so I'll add myself to the list. Also popped one of my dark ales into the fridge to test later and see how they are getting on. :)

• Pacific Ale Clone - Dan (BreadMurderer): AG (BIAB). Australian

Determined to be in this, because pale ale is what I love t brew. So definitely adding myself.
But will be next week at the earliest now, and will have to be left in the primary whilst I'm away. Might even improve it, I'll just knock the temp down a couple of degrees.
  • Expat Special Bitter - Kevin :)->): AG (BIAB): English

Kevin Hawley said:
G&G didn't seem to have any Maris Otter, so had to order elsewhere online. Awaiting delivery now.
We have Thomas Fawcett and Simpsons MO in stock, mate.

After a ridiculously long brew day (I'm not warming to my urn much I must say) that's the Pacific Ale Clone done. I'll pitch it with the Mangrove Jack's US West Coast yeast tomorrow then see how it all pans out in a few weeks time.

You have a Buffalo right? What happened this time?

I too am brewing today, mashing on the stovetop as I type in fact. And I didn't have the hops I thought so I'm shifting my style from English to American.

Yeah man. This time it appeared to be the element getting layered in wort sugar which meant it kept cutting out. I drained the mash, scrapped what I could off then it managed to reach the boil. Just need a good cleaning product for that thing...

Chatting to members last night inspired me to give some of the simple sugars bumping around the pantry a go in an IPA. So I'll be brewing an Agave IPA on Thursday with agave and coconut sugar adjuncts.
  • A Wry Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract. American
  • Expat Special Bitter - Kevin :)->): AG (BIAB): English
  • Agave IPA - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract. American

Latest posts

Back