July 2008 "beer Free" Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

July 2008 "beer Free" Challenge

• Yes - I will give it a go

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I am not intersted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sad I know.

Maybe sadder than you think... Read on. :D

UNC study links alcohol abstinence with depression

Cutting back on drinking could possibly lead to feelings of depression, according to findings from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

UNC researchers at the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies announced the results of their study Tuesday. The findings appear online in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

Senior study author Clyde Hodge, a psychiatry professor at UNC, says the research "establishes a causal link between abstinence from alcohol drinking and depression." In the study, mice that voluntarily drank alcohol for 28 days exhibited depression-like behavior 14 days after they stopped drinking.

"This research provides the first evidence that long-term abstinence from moderate alcohol drinking - rather than drinking per se - leads to a negative mood state, depression," Hodge wrote in a statement.

UNC researchers postulate that the abstinence from alcohol after drinking somehow impairs the brain's ability to create new nerve cells. Recent studies show that the development of the nerve cells could regulate people's mood; thus, UNC says, impaired creation could lead to feelings of depression.

The study also found that treatment with an antidepressant drug during abstinence prevents the development of depression, a statement says. The authors of the study say their work could help lead to better treatment options for people who quit drinking.

UNC's research was supported by the National Institutes of Health.

Warren -

Maybe sadder than you think... Read on. :D

Cutting back on drinking could possibly lead to feelings of depression, according to findings from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

UNC researchers at the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies announced the results of their study Tuesday. The findings appear online in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

Senior study author Clyde Hodge, a psychiatry professor at UNC, says the research "establishes a causal link between abstinence from alcohol drinking and depression." In the study, mice that voluntarily drank alcohol for 28 days exhibited depression-like behavior 14 days after they stopped drinking.

"This research provides the first evidence that long-term abstinence from moderate alcohol drinking - rather than drinking per se - leads to a negative mood state, depression," Hodge wrote in a statement.

UNC researchers postulate that the abstinence from alcohol after drinking somehow impairs the brain's ability to create new nerve cells. Recent studies show that the development of the nerve cells could regulate people's mood; thus, UNC says, impaired creation could lead to feelings of depression.

The study also found that treatment with an antidepressant drug during abstinence prevents the development of depression, a statement says. The authors of the study say their work could help lead to better treatment options for people who quit drinking.

UNC's research was supported by the National Institutes of Health.

Warren -

how on earth do they measure depression in mice......give it a prod and shout c'mon ya little f*&^#@#$er smile!

how on earth do they measure depression in mice......give it a prod and shout c'mon ya little f*&^#@#$er smile!

I think they play them Nirvana music and leave a little shotgun in the cage. B)

Warren -

anybody see the liver transplant on Catalyst last night

Glad I missed it really!

Catalyst: Don't Die Young: The Liver
8:00pm Thursday, 10 Jul 2008
Education CC G Website
In series 2 of Don't Die Young hip young English doctor and anatomist Dr Alice Roberts returns with this user's guide to our essential organs, and takes a closer look at how the organs deal with the challenges of modern life, and what we can do to look after them.

In episode three, Dr Alice looks at the ticking time bomb which is the liver. With liver disease on the increase both from alcohol and other causes, it's estimated that within 30 years obesity will overtake alcohol as the primary cause of cirrhosis. It's estimated by the British Liver Trust that one in ten of us will suffer from some form of liver disease at some point in our lives, yet often the liver doesn't complain until it's too late.

As 50% of liver disease is believed to be alcohol related - and in today's society we're drinking more than ever before - this episode follows a mother and daughter whose lifestyles are reflective of many people's experience with alcohol. Both enjoy alcohol but have very different drinking patterns - Mum Julie entertains as part of her job two or three times a week, whereas daughter Katy will go for days without alcohol but then binge drinks on party nights. They agree to keep a drinks diary for a week and then review the sobering results with Dr Alice. Alice then sets about explaining how the liver works, and what impact alcohol consumption will have on this vital organ.

Dr Alice then follows the story of Philip Parker, whose cirrhosis has recently developed into liver cancer, as he waits on the liver transplant list. Finally, Philip gets the call he's been waiting for and so begins an anxious but potentially life saving operation as surgeons are filmed replacing his liver.

And she visits scientists at Newcastle University who hope, in the long term, to be able to grow replacement livers from stem cells obtained from a baby's umbilical cord.

This six-part health documentary series is essential viewing, giving practical and fun guidance on how to keep the body's organs working at peak performance.

Catalyst: Don't Die Young will be repeated on ABC2 - Friday, July 11 at 5:30pm

Also showing on ABC
- 1:30pm Tuesday, July 15

I have to confess that after watching the lovely Dr Alice Roberts last night, I have started a consumption tally sheet for the coming week.

Pete

The study also found that treatment with an antidepressant drug during abstinence prevents the development of depression, a statement says. The authors of the study say their work could help lead to better means for pharmaceutical companies to cash in on people who quit drinking.

Fixed that bit for you ;)

I think they play them Nirvana music and leave a little shotgun in the cage. B)

Warren -
yeah, but do they put an ugly mouse in there with too much lipstick, a broken nose and heroin addiction to help pull the trigger?

:rolleyes:

Back on topic, I haven't been very thirsty lately, but have only been managing one small glass of Belgian GSA or bottle of Schneider (500 ml) each night.
Maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit down?

Another weekend down. I must say I have not had any adverse effects.....yet! If anything maybe I am sleeping a little better but I am staying up late watching the Tour De France. At least SWMBO agrees that I am not an alcoholic now. She thought I would be climbing the walls by this. Considering I have gone from 3 to 4 schooys per night every night for the past couple of years to nothing for a couple of weeks only proves I do not have an adictive side to me...maybe?

Steve

Nice work so far Steve,
"Sadly" we have a casualty here. :party:
All the best to those still in the game.

Interestingly, they put them in a bucket of water for some period of time (12 minutes I think), and they measure the amount of time that they swim, and the amount of they just float. Depressed mice paddle less and float more.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Well guys, have to admit it - I have fallen off the wagon - something fierce!

Very early this month I was offered a new job at a new company, which I have accepted. This meant a few things:

* Congratulations Drinks
* Welcome aboard Drinks
* OMG you have left, Drinks (with Lunches)
* Other informal leaving drinks
* EOFY drinks

I am in Week 2 of a 5 week transition out of the business - next up are the various client drinks and then, at last, the last staff drinks and leaving functions.

My new job, however will require a degree of focus, so I intend to give a month long AFD. My job requires me to be quite social, so there's not much ability to avoid this.

Keep on truckin', you dedicated folk.

Cheers - Mike

Catalyst: Don't Die Young will be repeated on ABC2 - Friday, July 11 at 5:30pm

Also showing on ABC
- 1:30pm Tuesday, July 15

Thanks for the heads up on the repeat, I went to tape it last Tuesday night and set the bloody VCR to SBS instead of the ABC! Will get it this time, as I just went and set it.

I reckon you guys doing the AFMonth are very sensible, as it breaks habits rather than combats an addiction. I had no trouble giving up the smokes back in the mid-80's but must admit I also gave up the habit of going to the pub with my workmates every Wednesday like I used to, for a month, just to get the habit broken, and grog would have lowered my resolve. Also your mates are your worst enemy, trying to temp you back all the time.

As another poster said, it is surprising how much extra time you have to do stuff at night if you aren't sitting around having beers. I'm a dab hand at beer, as well as in the kitchen, but not big on exercise or sport and am way over the limit weight wise, so somthing has to give and soon :)

I'm hoping this TV show might spur me on.

Even if I cut back I won't stop making fine beers and other nice things just have to readjust certain habits :) Cheerz Wab

Well guys, have to admit it - I have fallen off the wagon - something fierce!

Very early this month I was offered a new job at a new company, which I have accepted. This meant a few things:

* Congratulations Drinks
* Welcome aboard Drinks
* OMG you have left, Drinks (with Lunches)
* Other informal leaving drinks
* EOFY drinks

I am in Week 2 of a 5 week transition out of the business - next up are the various client drinks and then, at last, the last staff drinks and leaving functions.

My new job, however will require a degree of focus, so I intend to give a month long AFD. My job requires me to be quite social, so there's not much ability to avoid this.

Keep on truckin', you dedicated folk.

Cheers - Mike

Now worries Mike. Sounds like some interesting times ahead for you buddie. Good luck with the new job.

Steve

I'm still in the game. Never drunk so much cordial in my life. Nice to know I can stop if i want to

cheers

Darren

Well Im off the wagon. As I mentioned I started in June and clocked 4 and a bit weeks but the depression was too much. My wife kept throwing me in the pool hoping id stop swimming....

Good luck guys.

Cheers BDB

Me too, I failed last week but not before enjoying the view from the moral high ground.

cheers

Grant

Moderation is the key lads, and you need to exercise for 30 mins twice a week. I dont see the point in going cold turkey...

Latest posts

Back