Joe White Maltings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongchitis

Reaction score
G'Day all,

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or even if anyone gives a shit but 2 doors down from my place of time wasting is a new malting facility brought to you from the good people at Joe White.

Looks big with many silos and access to commercial railway infrastructure.

I got excited.... my appologies :lol:

Cheers.......Bong

We are tendering landscape work at the joint, so I got a bit of a tour the other day. Pretty awesome facilities, mega big! Still gonna have to drive to esb to actually buy the stuff though. I wonder if you'll smell from your place bongchitis?

Tom.

Feckers have a malting facility in Adelaide but you can not buy it in home brewer quantities here. There is a middle man who buys it by the tonne, repackages it and then sends it back to Adelaide by the 25kg sack, if you buy it from him, plus freight. I made enquiries - the old phone shuffling thingy until I found someone that said, oh yes you CAN by it direct from the malting facility - if you buy it by the tonne. Feckers. Joe White Maltings leaves a bit of a sour note with me. I wouldn't get excited about it. Kinda like judging a miss world contest, with just you as the judge, the impressionable girls in the bikini contest hoping to gain your attention at whatever cost, whilst you are trappped in a locked suit of armour with your hands in chains behind you and your balls superglued to the chair. It is there, you can see it, you know it wants you, you know you want it, but you just can't quite do it...

Feckers have a malting facility in Adelaide but you can not buy it in home brewer quantities here. There is a middle man who buys it by the tonne, repackages it and then sends it back to Adelaide by the 25kg sack, if you buy it from him, plus freight. I made enquiries - the old phone shuffling thingy until I found someone that said, oh yes you CAN by it direct from the malting facility - if you buy it by the tonne. Feckers. Joe White Maltings leaves a bit of a sour note with me. I wouldn't get excited about it. Kinda like judging a miss world contest, with just you as the judge, the impressionable girls in the bikini contest hoping to gain your attention at whatever cost, whilst you are trappped in a locked suit of armour with your hands in chains behind you and your balls superglued to the chair. It is there, you can see it, you know it wants you, you know you want it, but you just can't quite do it...
Not quite correct,
The maltings in Adelaide are 99.9% export. The stuff that homebrewers buy is malted in Victoria.
And yes you can pick it up directly from there, in 5 tonne lots. After buying from the middle man.

Not quite correct,
The maltings in Adelaide are 99.9% export. The stuff that homebrewers buy is malted in Victoria.
And yes you can pick it up directly from there, in 5 tonne lots. After buying from the middle man.

Phone eventually went through to the Viterra head office and back again to the malting facility. The suprised chap I eventually spoke to at the Adelaide facility said I could by it by the tonne, it is what someone at the facility said to me. Things may have changed since then or perhaps he didn't know the full story? I was not stating what I had heard from someone who thought a mate of his uncle had said, someone from the Adelaide malting facility told me that.
I would have thought that Coopers and Arse End would account for a large proportion of their output? That is purely speculation.

Phone eventually went through to the Viterra head office and back again to the malting facility. The suprised chap I eventually spoke to at the Adelaide facility said I could by it by the tonne, it is what someone at the facility said to me. Things may have changed since then or perhaps he didn't know the full story? I was not stating what I had heard from someone who thought a mate of his uncle had said, someone from the Adelaide malting facility told me that.
I would have thought that Coopers and Arse End would account for a large proportion of their output? That is purely speculation.
Probably exagerating with the 99.9%.
Should of made my point clearer which is there is no bagged product produced in Adelaide.
Still don't think you would be able to buy direct.
Cheers
Nige

slightly :icon_offtopic: for those who use JW malt, is it just me or anyone noticed since the foreign take over by Viterra a very noticable drop in effiency. Prior take over I was getting 75% now I push for 70% with JW malts. But from imported UK/Euro I'm getting in the range of 77 to 83%. Been a big fan of JW since I started AG and prefer to support local product, but I didn't think BB really stacked up when I've used it in the past. But if the Canadians screw too much with a good Aussies product, I really don't know what my options are to support the local product. I also could of just hit a bad run of bags over the last 6-12months

slightly :icon_offtopic: for those who use JW malt, is it just me or anyone noticed since the foreign take over by Viterra a very noticable drop in effiency. Prior take over I was getting 75% now I push for 70% with JW malts. But from imported UK/Euro I'm getting in the range of 77 to 83%. Been a big fan of JW since I started AG and prefer to support local product, but I didn't think BB really stacked up when I've used it in the past. But if the Canadians screw too much with a good Aussies product, I really don't know what my options are to support the local product. I also could of just hit a bad run of bags over the last 6-12months
It is possible that different crop years could produce malts with different extract potential.
There are differences in each batch of malt.
5% is a fair difference though.
Ask your supplier for the Certificate of Analysis for the malt supplied and compare the numbers with what you have already in your software.
Cheers
Nige

Probably exagerating with the 99.9%.
Should of made my point clearer which is there is no bagged product produced in Adelaide.
Still don't think you would be able to buy direct.
Cheers
Nige

Hey Nige,

Isnt it wierd that you cannot buy from one of the best maltsers with the best malting barley in the world but you can drive past it everyday?

tnd

You said it Nev...
Kirin malt bulk buy anyone?

ED: I understand that it is BB, rather than JW

Haha, I guess you aren't sitting on the fence on that one Nev. I don't really know much about it other than it is supposed to be able to convert the hairs off your arm. And I guess the more I think about it, I am not knowingly a fan of anything brewed with it.

Haha, I guess you aren't sitting on the fence on that one Nev. I don't really know much about it other than it is supposed to be able to convert the hairs off your arm. And I guess the more I think about it, I am not knowingly a fan of anything brewed with it.
Yep you can join a long list of non likers, even the tight arse brewers are not keen on the Kirin cattle feed.
Nev

I have a Joe Whites in town too, and dearly wish i could buy from them. Hell, i'd be happy to just have a mate who worked there ;)

Mark from mhb told me that my plant does just Pilsener malt.

If i could buy by the tonne i'd probably consider it, but word on the street is that it's two tonne lots and up. It all seems to go out in rail cars.

We are tendering landscape work at the joint, so I got a bit of a tour the other day. Pretty awesome facilities, mega big! Still gonna have to drive to esb to actually buy the stuff though. I wonder if you'll smell from your place bongchitis?

Tom.

Cool on the tour! but a real shame there is no direct sales at HB quantities :(

I would be able to smell everything as it is less than 100m away except our trade waste plant stinks up the neighbourhood and tends to stick to your nose all day. Anyone that has been to a sewage treatment plant will know the bouquet.

Cool on the tour! but a real shame there is no direct sales at HB quantities :(

I would be able to smell everything as it is less than 100m away except our trade waste plant stinks up the neighbourhood and tends to stick to your nose all day. Anyone that has been to a sewage treatment plant will know the bouquet.

Don't worry the smell from the malt factory is no pleasant picnic :lol:

<snip> except our trade waste plant stinks up the neighbourhood and tends to stick to your nose all day. Anyone that has been to a sewage treatment plant will know the bouquet.

Eeeew, given the malting process is exposed to air and hence the scent of your trade waste plant, it is another reason, apart from general quality, to avoid buying JW........stink scent infused malt, lovely. Cannot imagine they sterile filter the air they are malting in.

Eeeew, given the malting process is exposed to air and hence the scent of your trade waste plant, it is another reason, apart from general quality, to avoid buying JW........stink scent infused malt, lovely. Cannot imagine they sterile filter the air they are malting in.

Its not always really bad, just when the bacteria are stressed from an overload of food or chems... on a still evening though the pong just sits in the low area at the back of our sites.

Could be a new style of malt ..... Minno Special Aromatic! :icon_vomit:

Tom.

I'm pretty sure the company I work for put in a bid for that plant. Sounds like we didnt get the contract :lol:

Been to many a sewage treatment plant for work, and while most of them are surrounded by delicious plantlife and landscaping, theres no hiding the harsh smell of sewage.

Real pungeant on the nostrils...

Back