Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks tasty, I can't wait till mine clears up. I should have stuck to the damn recipe and used bakers yeast..

Don’t get impatient ronwales, I used mj mead yeast and it was worth the wait [emoji2]

Mine went down earlier in the week... One orange, one cumquat
Orange OG 1.105 (25 Brix)
Cumquat a massive OG 1.169 (38 Brix)

They will both need watering down once the initial feeding frenzy has died down a little...obviously.
I'll monitor until ferment ceases, check SGs and then split, dilute a little and repitch if need be...

Attachments

• mead.jpg
    mead.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 105
Mine went down earlier in the week... One orange, one cumquat
Orange OG 1.105 (25 Brix)
Cumquat a massive OG 1.169 (38 Brix)

They will both need watering down once the initial feeding frenzy has died down a little...obviously.
I'll monitor until ferment ceases, check SGs and then split, dilute a little and repitch if need be...

Chris if you went by the original recipe and start vol was 3.8L from memory don’t water it down !

Bit of an update on my nectarine/blueberry bloodwood mead. The colour has changed from a copper colour to a cloudy orange. It’s fizzing away like someone has dropped a dozen alkaseltzers in there and the airlock is bubbling like a demon. It smells amazing, there’s a hint of nectarine and the honey smell is really strong.

Attachments

• 500E8ED8-D49B-4C79-B422-22AA0A2385CA.jpeg
    500E8ED8-D49B-4C79-B422-22AA0A2385CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Chris if you went by the original recipe and start vol was 3.8L from memory don’t water it down !

Why Mark?

I did tweak the recipie a bit given I used cumquats in syrup rather than an orange in one of them.

BUT, given the specific gravity noted (1.169 and 1.105) it seems to me that the (baker's) yeast will die off (it seems to have a tolerance of between 12-14% ABV) before the sugars are all used up.
On my maths, assuming all sugars are used up, they should ferment to nearly 27% and 15% respectively..

Why Mark?

I did tweak the recipie a bit given I used cumquats in syrup rather than an orange in one of them.

BUT, given the specific gravity noted (1.169 and 1.105) it seems to me that the (baker's) yeast will die off (it seems to have a tolerance of between 12-14% ABV) before the sugars are all used up.
On my maths, assuming all sugars are used up, they should ferment to nearly 27% and 15% respectively..

Purely because the original recipe was meant for 3.8l total volume, it’s a bit misleading by the way it’s worded but if you reread the recipe you will see what I mean. I don’t think any sg calculations are really meant to be taken into account for this mead recipe as it is ancient orange mead.

An update on my latest batch. It’s starting to clear up already and is getting back it’s original coppery colour. Air lock activity has almost stopped. It still smells great.

Attachments

• 51B9BCFB-A447-4185-880F-C41FA82FAC28.jpeg
    51B9BCFB-A447-4185-880F-C41FA82FAC28.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
An update on my latest batch. It’s starting to clear up already and is getting back it’s original coppery colour. Air lock activity has almost stopped. It still smells great.
Hi 11qqqA 11QQ QA1+!+121111111111

I left it about 4 months and waited till the fruit started to drop, it was pretty clear when I put it into flagons.
My fruit just dropped and looking nice and clear might bottle tomorrow. Looking forward to tasting a sample before bottling.

Hi everyone, new comer here. I’ve just bottled my first batch of JAOM which was exactly as the recipe said. I haven’t sampled it yet (damn it smells strong) but I’m pretty excited that it’s worked. I used orange blossom honey for this batch

I’m just wondering if anyone has substituted the oranges out for something like pears or nectarines and blueberries instead of sultanas.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here’s a picture of my first bottles (if I’ve attached it correctly)
Did u try it with blueberries?

I put another batch on a week or so ago, this time it’s almost a tropical mead. I’ve used bluetop iron bark honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, half a clove, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, lime and a small knob of fresh ginger. It smells great and is slowly clearing up. Will post updates when it’s ready to bottle.

Attachments

• F1933C4A-1314-40EE-B8B5-10C36A704152.jpeg
    F1933C4A-1314-40EE-B8B5-10C36A704152.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
I put another batch on a week or so ago, this time it’s almost a tropical mead. I’ve used bluetop iron bark honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, half a clove, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, lime and a small knob of fresh ginger. It smells great and is slowly clearing up. Will post updates when it’s ready to bottle.
I just put down a 2 gallon mango mead i cant wait !!!

I just put down a 2 gallon mango mead i cant wait !!!
Hey, what how much mango did you use? And how did you prepare the mango? Deseed, or peel etc.

I've been very interested in a mango mead.

Cheers

Hey, what how much mango did you use? And how did you prepare the mango? Deseed, or peel etc.

I've been very interested in a mango mead.

Cheers
3kg of honey ,
2kg frozen woolworths brand mango 2teaspoon yeast nutrient
lalvin ec 1118 yeast
8litres water

Latest posts

Back