Discussion in ''Non Beer' Brewing' started by pdilley, 11/5/09.
Don’t get impatient ronwales, I used mj mead yeast and it was worth the wait
Lol how long did your's take?
Mine went down earlier in the week... One orange, one cumquat
Orange OG 1.105 (25 Brix)
Cumquat a massive OG 1.169 (38 Brix)
They will both need watering down once the initial feeding frenzy has died down a little...obviously.
I'll monitor until ferment ceases, check SGs and then split, dilute a little and repitch if need be...
I left it about 4 months and waited till the fruit started to drop, it was pretty clear when I put it into flagons.
Chris if you went by the original recipe and start vol was 3.8L from memory don’t water it down !
Bit of an update on my nectarine/blueberry bloodwood mead. The colour has changed from a copper colour to a cloudy orange. It’s fizzing away like someone has dropped a dozen alkaseltzers in there and the airlock is bubbling like a demon. It smells amazing, there’s a hint of nectarine and the honey smell is really strong.
I did tweak the recipie a bit given I used cumquats in syrup rather than an orange in one of them.
BUT, given the specific gravity noted (1.169 and 1.105) it seems to me that the (baker's) yeast will die off (it seems to have a tolerance of between 12-14% ABV) before the sugars are all used up.
On my maths, assuming all sugars are used up, they should ferment to nearly 27% and 15% respectively..
Purely because the original recipe was meant for 3.8l total volume, it’s a bit misleading by the way it’s worded but if you reread the recipe you will see what I mean. I don’t think any sg calculations are really meant to be taken into account for this mead recipe as it is ancient orange mead.
Separate names with a comma.