James Squire Style Kits?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmacdonald

Reaction score
Does anyone do kits like James Squire?

Reason I ask is that I had a couple of James Squire Golden Ales at a restaurant which I loved and would be interested in trying to brew something similar if such a kit were available.

hi old maccy D!

Try something like

1 x Tin Coopers Sparkling
1 x Tin wheat malt extract
20g amarillo @ 15
20g amarillo @5

Pitch US05
dry hop another 20g near end of ferment,

and treat it to suit your brewery process -

comes out something like it. made it once a while ago. dissappeared pretty fast. Must have had a leaky tap.. :p

Yeah Malt Shovel actually do kits.

To quote the book I use (Brewing Crafts by Mike Rogerson-Wilson) "From the same brewers who make the James Squire beers...devised by Chuck Hahn...notable for quality and unusual format. Unlike other beer kits which are formulated to make 23 litres of a mixed malt and dextrose beer, Malt Shovel beers are formulated to make 11.5 litres of a pure malt beer without the need to add additional dextrose."

I haven't tried them yet but they are on the list.

If you ever get the chance to go to James Squire Brewhouse in King Street Wharf (Sydney), do so. They have around 10 of their own beers on tap.

I was there yesterday and had a gutful. Sensational.

I am having James Squire Pilsner as I type, a very nice beer when served cold. Quite dark for a pilsner, looks more like an ale, but has a creamy body and pleasant saaz aromatic finish. Palatable!

TCB (country brewer) here in Adelaide do a JS Golden Ale style extract kit, Ive done it once and was a massive hit, Currently have another down fermenting as we speak

No affilliation to TCB

TCB (country brewer) here in Adelaide do a JS Golden Ale style extract kit, Ive done it once and was a massive hit, Currently have another down fermenting as we speak

No affilliation to TCB

do you have the recipe they use

Brew craft used to have malt shovel kits, they were designed for 11.5L as above, so theyre really just wanting you to buy 2 kits!

do you have the recipe they use

It consists of Wal's Wheat (1.7kg), 1kg Brew Booster, 150g Vienna grain steeped in hot water for 20 minutes (don't add the grain to the fermenter, just the water that it was steeping in) and 12g Amarillo hops (infused in boiling water for 10 minutes).

Enjoy!

It consists of Wal's Wheat (1.7kg), 1kg Brew Booster, 150g Vienna grain steeped in hot water for 20 minutes (don't add the grain to the fermenter, just the water that it was steeping in) and 12g Amarillo hops (infused in boiling water for 10 minutes).

Enjoy!

yeah thats the kit recipe not a extract

Reason I ask is that I had a couple of James Squire Golden Ales at a restaurant which I loved and would be interested in trying to brew something similar if such a kit were available.

I've tried the Country Brewer recipe and it has turned out well despite it being only my second brew. go to countrybrewer.com.au and then the "recipes" section. you can buy all the ingredients online and they have a few shops around NSW that i know of.

Highly recomended, although i will be making some adjustments from their recipe for a little more body for the next attempt.

The signature flavour there is the Amarillo hops. I did a cracker extract a while back
Amarillo Red
3kg Light Dried Malt Extract
250g Crystal Malt Grain (medium)
75g Amarillo Hops pellets (8.6%) 1/3 60min - 1/3 20min - 1/3 2min
US-05 dried yeast

It's a real simple extract brew that finishes with lots of body, fairly sweet and a HUGE, full flavour. Light liquid malt extract should finish a little dryer.

If you're set on using a kit then pretty much any Pale or Bitter ale kit with a 20 gram Amarillo addition boiled for 20 minutes will get you in the ball park.

I have found a thread that may be of interrest to you: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=25666

I'm looking into a second attempt at JSGA as well, there are a few other threads but this one seems to be the goods.

p.s. i also just dry hopped 12g of amarillo into the secondary stage of a larger kit (+150g of steeped crystal grain) just to see how it goes. Will let you know what haapens.

Latest posts

Back