James Squire Hop Thief

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i gotta say.. i like this beer, had quite a few tonight and enjoyed these alot, more than than the mega swill my mates like... a nice bitterness witha great malt flavour.

cheers jimmy

Just had my first of these and like it.
To me, it tasted like a cross between a JS IPA and a Coopers. Don't mind either of them so suited me.
While drinking it I googled and found out that it's meant to be Pride early and late additions as well as Southern Hallertau.
Not my new favourite but I'm pretty happy to have five more to get into now.

I don't see what's so secret about the blend of australian hops used .... there website clearly states what hops are used!

Got my hands on a case today. Being a POR boy, I have to say I probably prefer this over a LCPA... :eek:

Nice aroma of citrus up front, passionfruit dominates, but there are hints of gooseberry and lemon zest in there. Some sweetish, bready malt aromas in the background in the background. Sweet malt on the tongue up front along with a big whack of passionfruit, lemon zest and a hint of caramel mixed in. Before the initial flavours disappear, the bitterness of the POR chimes in and lingers on the palate for a nice long clean finish.

I reckon it's pretty well balanced. I must admit I had my first one from the stubby on the wau home from the bottle-o.. B) , and it was pretty cold from the cool room... The second one I let warm on the bench a little and served it up in a pHat... huge difference! At the same price or better over LCPA, I reckon I'll be back for another box before it runs out. I enjoyed it

Anyone found this in WA?

Picked up a 6 pack from the International Beer Shop last night in W Leederville. They only had like 3 6 packs left!

Cracked my first bottle ever last night - I was blown away. Absolutely delicious. Stunning.

I gave one to an old bloke in my motorbike club and he said after one sip "that's almost a stout that is"

He mustn't be used to beer with much body or flavour :rolleyes:

I gave one to an old bloke in my motorbike club and he said after one sip "that's almost a stout that is"

He mustn't be used to beer with much body or flavour :rolleyes:

NO, its just indelible eveidence that the guy doesnt know what the **** he is talking about

Saw it at Campbelltown Dan Murphys so I bought 2 X 6 packs... I am glad I did.

You've got better eyesight than me BC, I was there yesterday and I didn't see it....
I hope they aren't the last 2. :icon_cheers:

Very much enjoyed, loved the maltyness aswell as hop flavour.

Good winter brew.

Tried the new hop thief tonight at the Wheaty in Adelaide. It was surprisingly good and the bitterness was higher than expected. I recommend getting in to try it if you can.

Just had one tonight at the Wheaty, and it was great. Never had such a hit of Grapefruit in a beer, was truly fantastic - I can still taste it an hour later.....

Crundle

Got my hands on a case today. Being a POR boy, I have to say I probably prefer this over a LCPA... :eek:

Yep, if you're a POR boy then this beer is a pearler. With all the topics we had recently over what is the quintessential Aussie ale, I reckon this hop thief is like a ballsy standout of the style.

So does anyone want to have a crack at the recipe?
I'll be keen to have a crack at it once the weather warms up.

Cheers,

Michael

Just had a 09 Hop thief back to back with a golden ale.

After the strong passion fruit flavor of the hop thief I was detecting mild citrusy almost orange juice like flavor in golden ale that I never noticed before.

Just trying this one now and I have to say that I'm under-whelmed. Initially as you pour it into the glass the colour looks stunning but the taste doesn't seem to back it it. It seems to be fairly thin and doesn't have the full flavour hit I had expected. For a seasonal release I was expecting there to be more of a malt flavour and greater hop flavour. Sure it's better than drinking TED or similar but at the same time I'm not going to rush out and buy it again.

Latest posts

Back