James Squire Hop Thief

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying this one now and I have to say that I'm under-whelmed.

+1 Think the hop theif may have stolen the hops for use in their IPA. Pickie buggers aren't we, way better beer than anything on offer here in OZ 10 years ago :lol:

Screwy

+1 Think the hop theif may have stolen the hops.

The interesting thing is I said the same thing about the first hop thief when I had my first sample. Then a later bottle I had really smacked out on the Sauvin. Same with the current edition, I had no aroma other than some low level Prides yet other people are getting some pretty intense grapefruit character.

I don't see what's so secret about the blend of australian hops used .... there website clearly states what hops are used!

Hey BB where did you find this on the website? have searched for 20 min tonight to no avail. Would like to know what hops were used.

Screwy

Pride of Ringwood and Tassie Hallertau

The interesting thing is I said the same thing about the first hop thief when I had my first sample. Then a later bottle I had really smacked out on the Sauvin. Same with the current edition, I had no aroma other than some low level Prides yet other people are getting some pretty intense grapefruit character.

Yeah the bottles ive had have been almost intesnly grapefruit on the nose. I spoke to thier distributaion manager (maybe) I think his name was Michael Jackson according to his card he gave out to somone at the good food and wine show. (There seems to be allot of them in the brewing world, I also got a card from a antipasti producer named Peter Petrelli a-la Heroes, but thats another story.) Michael believed it had Sterling and Galaxy in it. 2 completly different views compared to the OP.

I'd agree with Galaxy but this Southern Hallertau as per the OP? Ive never heard of it. Maybe Pacific Halleratu but thats not local, its from NZ. Anyone have any info on Southern Hallertau if that is the hop used with POR.

Cheers

From the site;

This is the third release of the Hop Thief which previously featured the unique N.Z. variety Nelson Sauvin in version one and an interesting blend of U.S. hops in version two. The Hop Thief Ale of course is a liquid vehicle for educating beer drinkers about the plethora of flavours that can be introduced into beer by careful selection of hop varieties. This time we have reverted to all Australian developed & grown varieties. To be honest, until recently, locally grown hops did not show much variety, having heavily concentrated on growing the locally developed Pride of Ringwood bittering hop (a high resin but low aroma variety) for many years.
However over the last few years, no doubt fuelled by the growing craft brewing industry, many new aroma varieties are being developed & we have included some of these, plus utilised some POR flowers added late in fermentation via a device known as the Hopperator to craft our latest version of the Hop Thief Ale which hits the market in early June. This is full bodied, moderately bitter ale with an intriguing floral /fruity bouquet.

I could have swore I read on the site a couple of weeks ago something about 'Southern Hallertau' but I can't find it now...

edit: Found it;

Tony Jones, Chief Brewer reveals: “The hops we are using to create the latest version of Hop Thief are a combination of the well established Australian variety Pride of Ringwood, which is known primarily as a bittering hop, and the locally-bred aroma variety known as Southern Hallertau.

“We have used hop flowers secured fresh from the 2009 Tasmanian harvest rather than using the commonly available pellet form and add them late in the fermentation process so we capture the floral flavours otherwise lost during boiling.”

The first few bottles I opened had a really strong passionfruit aroma then I opended some more from the same 6 pack a few days later and it was not the same. Less aroma. Then Yet again another one had a very tropical fruity / almost breakfast juice like aroma.

Nice but not great!

On the other hand the commemorative ale was great!

I prefer the hop thief over the cascade first harvest though...

the first harvest was nice and BITTER with resiny hop bitterness but lacks any sort of hop flavour to back it up. I guess we have to go back to our homebrew to satisfy our hop addictions!

I this is what you were looking for Screwy:

The third version of the popular limited release Hop Thief is again linked to the timing of the Australian hop harvest. The ale uses the late addition of hops to add a depth of aroma, flavour and complexity to the beer.

The Hop Thief limited releases all utilise unique hop varieties to highlight how hops can impact distinctively on the flavour of beer. The latest Hop Thief uses all Australian grown hop varieties to reflect the innovative approach and achieve unique characters in the finished beer.

The creation of Hop Thief was inspired by James Squires contributions to brewing in the early colony; Squire was the first successful grower of hops on Australian soil. Hop Thief Ale takes its name from the fact that Squire was forced to steal a small quantity of horehound to brew his first batch of beer, due to the scarcity of hops in the early colony.

Tony Jones, Chief Brewer reveals: The hops we are using to create the latest version of Hop Thief are a combination of the well established Australian variety Pride of Ringwood, which is known primarily as a bittering hop, and the locally-bred aroma variety known as Southern Hallertau.

We have used hop flowers secured fresh from the 2009 Tasmanian harvest rather than using the commonly available pellet form and add them late in the fermentation process so we capture the floral flavours otherwise lost during boiling.

Page here.... ;)

The first few bottles I opened had a really strong passionfruit aroma then I opended some more from the same 6 pack a few days later and it was not the same. Less aroma. Then Yet again another one had a very tropical fruity / almost breakfast juice like aroma.

Nice but not great!

the first harvest was nice and BITTER with resiny hop bitterness but lacks any sort of hop flavour to back it up. I guess we have to go back to our homebrew to satisfy our hop addictions!

I agree. I had the Cascade tonight as my local Dan Murphy's was sold out of Hop Thief (and seemed to have removed the space on the shelf already) and it was very disappointing on hop flavour. Wasn't at all what I expected from reading reviews and the like about it.

Hop Thief was great though it seems there are some differences between the batches. I had a very fruity few bottles on Saturday. Had it on tap last week in Sydney and it seemed much more restrained. I had just had two pints of JSGA though, so perhaps my palate was tainted...

Just trying this one now and I have to say that I'm under-whelmed. Initially as you pour it into the glass the colour looks stunning but the taste doesn't seem to back it it. It seems to be fairly thin and doesn't have the full flavour hit I had expected. For a seasonal release I was expecting there to be more of a malt flavour and greater hop flavour. Sure it's better than drinking TED or similar but at the same time I'm not going to rush out and buy it again.

Are you a merkin?

Nice but not great!

Oh and not to mention overpriced!!! $25 for 6 pack of cascade.... nothing special and in a 330ml bottle!!!

I can get Coopers Vintage for about $22 and that is a masterpiece of a beer.... and in 375ml

So, word is the thief is already sold out. Has anyone else heard this? I have called several bottle shops and one said the distributor has sold out...

Campbelltown Dan Murphy's still has some if your chasing, saw 'em there today.

I picked up a six pack from Dan Murphys A macarthur Square today.
They won't be there long. :rolleyes:

On my second bottle and at first I found it too dry and too bitter with harsh floral nose.
A bit of hot tandoory for dinner to clear the sinuses and the perception changed all together.
A nice bitterness with residual sweetness and a floral aroma of Nelson Sauvin coupled with some mysterious decoction that makes you ask for more.

Nice ale but two is enough., Very sweet after the intial Bitterness have dulled you senses. :D

Picked some up today and a 6 pack of the IPA.

Must say I enjoyed the Master more than the apprentice.

Better if it is served not too chilled IMO.

bit more aroma in the hop thief though.

Try.....POR for bittering. Tasmanian Hallertau for flavouring, late addition of galaxy
Cheers

Try.....POR for bittering. Tasmanian Hallertau for flavouring, late addition of galaxy
Cheers
yep
I just don't know all the hops so I just went with what the pallet told me.
:blink:

I managed last weekend to get a 6 pack from the new 1st Choice in Wodonga, Didnt look like there was much left.

I picked up a 6 pack yesterday at the Malborough hotel in Newtown (sydney), they have plenty left. My mate described it as "like sex with the olsen twins" :lol: I reckon it's good but far from the best beer ive ever had.

I picked up a 6 pack yesterday at the Malborough hotel in Newtown (sydney), they have plenty left. My mate described it as "like sex with the olsen twins" :lol: I reckon it's good but far from the best beer ive ever had.

I never knew sex with a skeleton and its healthy twin was that great?! :unsure:

Back