Its been a while.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Few kegs with mixed amounts of beer inside. Fridge busted a few months back. Kegs been kept carbed. Chance of the beer being still ok? Now got a new fridge.

I know someone will say "taste it", but I'm an hour or so from home and it has me thinking :)

Chill them and taste it.

If your sanitation regime was thorough and the kegs haven't been exposed to temperature extremes and have no leaks then they should be fine.

JD

Brings me to another question, does everyone sanitise their kegs between brews? My LHBS said why? The beer is done, you put more beer in, fill it with CO2..... nothing can live in CO2.

yeah look, in a perfect world possibly nothing will live, when you fill the keg from the FV more likely than not you are introducing some oxygen if there are contaminants in there and these build over time, they could cause off flavours. Now have a think, if you have been having great tasting beers for many brews and all of a sudden one starts to go south, where are you going to look for the problem. Cleaning and sanitising your kegs is piece of mind and makes trouble shooting easier. Also means popetts and relief valves don't get all gunged up and start sticking.

My 10c (i aint as cheap as some)

MB

I regard kegs as giant bottles with a dip tube, I do exactly the same as bottles, wash out a few times then inspect. If any sediment or residue, hit with napisan for a few hours then wash out a couple of times and the use a no rinse sanitiser for final rinse.
Meanwhile remove dip tube and wash out with boiling water preferably. A little bit of extra washing and rinsing on kegging day more than outweighs the world of pain that's bottling :unsure:

I've never done anything to the little rubber rings and most of my kegs are coming up five years. Between keg changes I quarter fill a keg with hot no rinse sanitiser and give the beer lines and taps a good rinse through, and every second keg change I dismantle and re grease the taps.

As good as I left them. A little flat, but all good now that they are on carb

Latest posts

Back