It Finally Happened

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh pity about the antibiotics. Your brew will be worth the wait I'm sure.
Certainly brewing is patience and very few brews (unless they are actually infected) cant be saved ( or passed to someone who cant tell the difference :lol: )

Nice to see you have help on brew days and have experienced the joy of a treasure hunt with your brew gear. Still, sounds like this 1 wont be far away from the first 1 - you didnt say how far off the efficiency was.

I also got a second batch from beerbelly - thats for later in the week when I'm not working. I think my efficiency was up because butters arrived just after I added the mash out and then the sparge was left longer than intended as well.

And I bet you're happier having your assistant that not. Much better to share the experience even though he's not old enough to experience the result.

happy brewing

I think my efficiency was up because butters arrived just after I added the mash out and then the sparge was left longer than intended as well.

Slightly longer sparge may have helped, but we were actually pretty sober at that point, it was only an extra 5 minutes...I think the extra efficiency had nothing to do with me turning up....in retrospect, it's cos the mash went for the full time this batch, cos you hit your temp spot on (which was well before I turned up)....we cut it short last time, cos it was slightly under temp, even after additional water, and only left it long enough for positive iodine, to compensate for that. ;)

Damn it - Where are all the AG buddys in S.E. Melb???

Ahh pity about the antibiotics. Your brew will be worth the wait I'm sure.
Certainly brewing is patience and very few brews (unless they are actually infected) cant be saved ( or passed to someone who cant tell the difference :lol: )

Nice to see you have help on brew days and have experienced the joy of a treasure hunt with your brew gear. Still, sounds like this 1 wont be far away from the first 1 - you didnt say how far off the efficiency was.
Well, I couldn't wait any longer, I had to try a glass! It's certainly a lovely drop and it'll be interesting to see what it's like around xmas time. Lots of Amarillo flavour without much bitterness (I lowered the 60min addition) and very easy to drink. I'm not game enough to try the real Golden Ale again now, I'm not sure if it can match this drop :D

I hit around 71% for the 2nd batch according to Brewsmith figures, so not all that bad really. It's finished on 1018 so I think it my other thermometer reads slightly lower than what it should (which would explain why it's finished higher).

Here's a quick pic from my phone: goldenale.jpg

@ Daemon ohh nice!!!!

looks the business. Sounds like it tastes the business too.

the second brew is glooping away in the fermenter and brew 3 was mashed today - everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. No issue with the brewing, just me trying to do too many things at once while having a brew day.

It'll be a good beer probably a bit different to the first 2.

@ fraser and cfresh pity there's nobody close to you 2 for some AG luvin. It would really be worth the trip if you could find someone and have a look at the process or if not, I'm sure there were some vids on youtube about AG. I certainly had no intentions of joining the drak side untill I saw how easy it is.

Have thrown a few recipe ideas around with butters to try and come up with something specifically to my taste. kind of an english grain bill with an american (ish) hopping.

Latest posts

Back