It all froze!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallyjim

Reaction score
What a stuff up!
I'm using an old chest freezer on a timer to keep my beers cold, while the old fridge is used to brew in.
It's been fine, no problems, until I thought I'd leave the timer on to quickly cool some beer but forgot to turn it off!
You can probably see some bottles starting to burst in be photo, including my expensive tasting sample beers, wicked elf and hop hog.
Once these frozen beers defrost are they good again, or is frozen beer ruined?

image.jpg

Why use a timer?
Get an external thermostat / cut out controller.
Can buy them pre-made if not handy with wires and electrickery! It will save this kind of tragic event.

If you want some links i can provide. Most reputable homebrew stores online and bricks and mortar have these temp controllers either in kit form or made up for sale.

Sorry for your loss. Lessen learned the hard way here.

Cheers,
D80

Edit: Noooo just noticed a hop hog was involve. Sh1t just got real. :(

Haha! Yep. Lost a hop hog. Well, I actually don't know if it's lost. It was frozen and has defrosted. I haven't tried any of them yet since the incident of 8.9.15. Are defrosted beers still viable?

D80, the reason why I don't have a thermostat is because I'm lazy and had a timer sitting around. I'll have to take your advice and pony up the cash

Once the mess is cleaned up and the remaining beers have returned to a stable temp for a few days I'd drink one and see what it's like, if it's ok they're probly all ok, if it's shit then I'd just drink them all in one sitting and put the tradgedy behind me.

Yep still drinkable. I left a couple of growlers in my fridge that was being used for largering and when I went to drink one lasy night it was a beer slushie. Once they defrosted they were bith fine.

I've accidently frozen stubbies of homebrew on a few occasions and never had any break or pop. I let them thaw in the fridge and when opened were fine. If they pop the cap though I'd thaw and drink soon.

Latest posts

Back