Isopropyl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Sure i read on here something about using isopropyl as a sanitiser, but cant seem to find it on search. Anyway managed to get my hands on some but was wondering how to use it and if it is actually any good? Do i dilute it, put it in a spray bottle? Or am i totally off track here?
Thanks

Mate. Just use Starsan or idophor :p Its going to save you heartache in the end.

The only time I find it useful is on a small scale to sanitize things when making yeast slants and the like.

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is solvent that is predominately used as a cleaning agent in medical, diagnostic laboratory and pharmaceutical manufacturing. It has a high flash point and short contact time - it is not the greatest product for brewing because of the short contact time to kill harmful microbial organisms.

The brewing network has a good archive/podcast covering sanitisation and what solutions we as brewers should or could consider using to maintain our systems and does cover the use of IPA in a home brew environment.

MWS

starsan has isopropyl alcohol in it. lots.

I thought i'd read that somewhere.
You dilute starsan quite a bit don't you.
It's called 2-propanol (isopropanol)

It 99.5% ACS reagent

Not sure if that helps.
Why does a short contact time make a difference.

I thought starsan was acid based not alcohol? and isopropyl alcohol was those little red and white sealed alcohol swabs you wipe stuff with before using it.

My bottle of StarSan claims to have 15.0% Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid and 50.0% Phosphoric Acid, along with 35.0% inert ingredients. If I recall *any* of my chemistry education, isopropyl alcohol is not entirely inert.

Back