Islamic State

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if you dont think that beer & strippers can lead to a religious experience, then I suggest you put that book of fables down and come to the pub..

Prince Imperial said:
How do you know they're not outraged? Because the MSM doesn't cover it?
You think they are?

Can you point me towards any non MSM sources that say they are?
I ain't never seen it.

pcmfisher said:
You think they are?

Can you point me towards any non MSM sources that say they are?
I ain't never seen it.
There have been protests in Norway (has a significant radical Islamic presence) and Detroit and Islamic leaders in the UK have issued a fatwa against IS leaders and fighters. Perhaps not the effigy burning protests you think they should be staging, but guess what? The vast majority of the world's Muslims didn't participate in those following the Danish cartoons either. My point is that we are presented with these situations through a not-impartial lens and it's dangerous to think that the media present enough information to enable a balanced, dispassionate perspective.
The other important aspect to this is that your average, moderate Muslim probably doesn't feel the need to differentiate themselves from IS any more than you feel the need to distance yourself from David Koresh. It's a fringe group of crazies.

Prince Imperial said:
There have been protests in Norway (has a significant radical Islamic presence) and Detroit and Islamic leaders in the UK have issued a fatwa against IS leaders and fighters. Perhaps not the effigy burning protests you think they should be staging, but guess what? The vast majority of the world's Muslims didn't participate in those following the Danish cartoons either. My point is that we are presented with these situations through a not-impartial lens and it's dangerous to think that the media present enough information to enable a balanced, dispassionate perspective.
The other important aspect to this is that your average, moderate Muslim probably doesn't feel the need to differentiate themselves from IS any more than you feel the need to distance yourself from David Koresh. It's a fringe group of crazies.
Moderate Muslims don't feel the need to differentiate themselves from IS because they are sympathetic to their cause.

pcmfisher said:
Moderate Muslims don't feel the need to differentiate themselves from IS because they are sympathetic to their cause.
So you, as a westerner feel no need to differentiate yourself from David Koresh, or the Westboro Baptist Church because you're sympathetic to their causes? The logic's the same.

pcmfisher said:
What utter rubbish.

Only Sunni Muslims following the strict Wahhabi sect could possibly have any sympathy with IS as everyone else has been declared apostate. Their main victims have been Shia Muslims and Sunni Muslims who won't join them. I doubt anyone has sympathy for an organisation who's stated aim is your own eradication

Could even try googling 'muslim condemnation terrorism' or 'muslim condemnation isis' to see you are incorrect, pcm.

I'd concede moderate anything is preferable to radical or extremist, but it still like saying, we'll I'm only a bit delusional, but those guys are totally delusional.
Problem is, the totally delusional guys believe they are also the most devout. And when the most devout are also the most violent, irrational sociopaths you could imagine, it takes more than lip service to bring about a change.
I can't understand why people seem to get so hung up on muslim leaders 'condemning' terrorism. What else would they say? IS certainly don't give a **** what anybody says. As has been noted, they'll cut the throat of a muslim just as soon as they will a US journalist.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I am a devout brewer...does that make me dangerous... :ph34r:
Only if you brew imaginary beer with imaginary equipment.
Or brew CUB clones exclusively.

Prince Imperial said:
So you, as a westerner feel no need to differentiate yourself from David Koresh, or the Westboro Baptist Church because you're sympathetic to their causes? The logic's the same.
What's being a westerner got to do with Koresh or Westboro?

I don't know about you, but if everyone was heaping shit on me as a Christian because Westbro is Christian mob (like the kind of shit heaped onto the Muslims because of their extremists) I like to think that me and every other "true" Christian would have something to say about it. Why wouldn't we feel the need?
Maybe there are not enough "true" Muslims.

Lucky I am not a Christian, hey.

As has been noted, they'll cut the throat of a muslim just as soon as they will a US journalist.
As it is Muslims that are getting slaughtered all the more reason for Muslims to sort out IS, Turkey is on the border of Syria and Iraq
with very capable armed forces and also in the sights of IS.
Whatever a Western Allegiance does there would be no thank you very much, just condemnation for getting involved.

I don't know about you, but if everyone was heaping shit on me as a Christian because Westbro is Christian mob (like the kind of shit heaped onto the Muslims because of their extremists) I like to think that me and every other "true" Christian would have something to say about it. Why wouldn't we feel the need?
Maybe there are not enough "true" Muslims.

Lucky I am not a Christian, hey.
Except as has been pointed out, many do have something to say about it. Stop playing that tune because the notes are wrong.

pcmfisher said:
What's being a westerner got to do with Koresh or Westboro?
A similar amount to being Muslim and Islamic State.

You're not considering this outside of what your lived experience tells you. You probably feel as though the distinction between being Western and being Christian is obvious and important. Its likely that you think the assumption that a Westerner would necessarily be sympathetic to Westboro Baptist Church is illogical.

To the average Muslim living in Indonesia, this distinction is less clear. They know that the society you live in is rooted in Christian values and customs. To them, you're Christian.

They probably also think the distinction between Islam and IS is pretty obvious and important too, and therefore see no need to gather en masse to make sure that some Aussie home-brewer knows they don't want to cut the heads off everyone with a different belief system.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I am a devout brewer...does that make me dangerous... :ph34r:
It depends. Do you no-chill? Botulism is dangerous.

Let's start sending fresh wort kits to Islamic countries.

Someone at work today suggested sending some Ebola people to the Taliban. Just reflecting on the futility of trying to influence humanity with good intentions.

Back