Islamic State

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously though, I will happily accept that from your point of view, religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive. However, I also hold that any system that does not allow for criticism, debate, and progress, tries to impose its will on others, has commandments that lists barbaric punishments for seemingly petty offenses, and scriptures that promote the use of extreme violence against unbelievers is necessarily the antithesis of science, or at least of what science should be. Unfortunately for many that is exactly what religion is.
And now its beer time[/font][/size][/font][/size][/quote]

The understanding I hope I've presented of religion and it's compatibility with science is a bit more than just my point of view. At the very least it is fluent with the expected learning outcomes to be achieved about the nature of religion at yr12 level in both Victoria and New South Wales. Both the HSC Studies of Religion and VCE Religion and Society courses mandate this understanding on the topic. These are studies which can be chosen at any state or private school in their respective states. I think I need to mention that these studies are obviously written for a secular community and are objectively assessed in much the same way as historical and political sciences, in that no credit what so ever is given to personal persuasion in these studies (which I know should go without saying).
Part of the YR12 VCE Religion and Society course is the topic of 'challenge and response' which looks at how religions are challenged both internally and externally. Pretty hot topic and lots of intriguing controversy as you might expect. Anyway as this course can be studied from the perspective of any major religious tradition, I attended a conference once in which those teaching Islam discussed the obvious issue of extremist / fundamentalist. What a nightmare for moderate contemporary Muslims this is. As I hope I'm getting across, it was clear that frequent aggressive anti-muslim abuse particularly targeting the young moderates is only making things worse. Intolerance breeds intolerance. Criticism needs to be both constructive and informed.

Apparently raisins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmwcmOPemk

manticle said:
What's the prize?
A night to remember

image.jpg

jimi said:

The understanding I hope I've presented of religion and it's compatibility with science is a bit more than just my point of view. At the very least it is fluent with the expected learning outcomes to be achieved about the nature of religion at yr12 level in both Victoria and New South Wales. Both the HSC Studies of Religion and VCE Religion and Society courses mandate this understanding on the topic. These are studies which can be chosen at any state or private school in their respective states. I think I need to mention that these studies are obviously written for a secular community and are objectively assessed in much the same way as historical and political sciences, in that no credit what so ever is given to personal persuasion in these studies (which I know should go without saying).
Part of the YR12 VCE Religion and Society course is the topic of 'challenge and response' which looks at how religions are challenged both internally and externally. Pretty hot topic and lots of intriguing controversy as you might expect. Anyway as this course can be studied from the perspective of any major religious tradition, I attended a conference once in which those teaching Islam discussed the obvious issue of extremist / fundamentalist. What a nightmare for moderate contemporary Muslims this is. As I hope I'm getting across, it was clear that frequent aggressive anti-muslim abuse particularly targeting the young moderates is only making things worse. Intolerance breeds intolerance. Criticism needs to be both constructive and informed.

For my part, I'm happy to accept theism works for some people if they're happy it doesn't work for me. I'd like to be able to express that the reason it doesn't work for me is that the stories are ridiculous, same as me criticising a film or book as being unbelievable. I don't question the right of religion to exist or for people to believe in it but the sacredness within cannot be expected to exist without.

It is a cycle, you believe in religion to distract from your (general anyone/mankind) basic instincts and form a cocoon of belief around yourself. Nature is quite giving, religious people often attribute everything positive in their lives to their belief, like believing manifests reality.
Then they defend the beliefs and the struggle against the non-believers becomes a reason to hold on to your beliefs even harder. This replaces almost entirely the original premise for those beliefs.
Then there is disillusionment when it turns out (enlightenment) that your beliefs hold you in no better stead on average than the non-believer. This is release from the vicious cycle of deaths and births of beliefs, an acceptance that you are a part of a big scatter of life, that your existence is only so consequential. It seems a lot of people skip this last bit and carry on running the exercise wheel. It takes an attitude of reasoned questioning and contemplation. Some confidence in your ability to think and create is very helpful. Invariably, scientists and others with intellect end up having the spare grey matter to question themselves.

The rest has been history.

I'm going back to looking at yoga chick pics courtesy of AHB and possibly pitch yeast in the beer today.

@ praticalfool was agreeing with your post and wondering where it was going. Quite articulate, me thought. Then you mention yoga chick pics. But no link. WTF. You bar steward. I hate you so much

I swear I only tried to look up yoga friendly man pants on the Internet once. However this stuff is all over my internet google ads feeds now:

image.jpg

Back