Is this off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Reaction score
Hey all a but new to this, just did a coopers pale ale with 1kg of ldm and hopped with a mangrove jacks galaxy bag at the end. It came out quite cloudy and had a bit of an odd smell. I'm not sure if its off but this was a pic i took about day 4.
20190120_145141.jpeg

Hey all a but new to this, just did a coopers pale ale with 1kg of ldm and hopped with a mangrove jacks galaxy bag at the end. It came out quite cloudy and had a bit of an odd smell. I'm not sure if its off but this was a pic i took about day 4. View attachment 114864
No, looks normal to me. I would take the hop bag out and leave for another few more days. Fermenting gives off co2 which smells bad. The longer you leave it before bottling the better. I've never fermented for less than 2 weeks, so pop lid back on and leave it a while.

what's the deal with the hop sachet? never seen one like that before. Is this common in Oz, or is it related to using can kits (something I've never done)?

*edit* otherwise your beer looks fine (still fermenting, but fine).

No, looks normal to me. I would take the hop bag out and leave for another few more days. Fermenting gives off co2 which smells bad. The longer you leave it before bottling the better. I've never fermented for less than 2 weeks, so pop lid back on and leave it a while.

Sorry Richard, but nearly everything you said is wrong
Well with the possible exception of it looking normal - frankly I don't take the top off a fermenter and peer inside often enough to know, that's just inviting an infection.
CO2 is odourless, anything that you are smelling is being carried out by the CO2 and it shouldn't smell "bad" although there are some undesirable volatiles that will be carried off (scrubbed out ), they shouldn't be offensive.
No beer should ever spend more than 14 days in contact with the first yeast cake, and that's at well controlled brewery temperatures. Say 14-20 for Ale and <12oC for Lagers. if your brewing over 20oC make that 7 days. After that there is measurable harm being done to the beer.
If you haven't finished fermenting in 7 days you have under pitched. Leaving beer too long is a really bad idea!

Don't go puddling around in the fermenter trying to get the Tea Bag out, again like taking the lid off you would really up the chances of an infection.
Tea Bagged hops take longer to give up their goods than would the same hops added loose, but you get less mess and they are a convenient way to add hops. Best to put them in at the start and leave them the hell alone until you clean the fermenter.

It looks like a nearly finished brew, if it has off flavours its probably either infected or brewed too hot, but Galaxy can take a bit of getting used to especially when the beer is young.

Capt - T-bags are pretty widely available over here there is a decent range of hops bagged commercially, some home brew shops will make up late/aroma hops in T-bags to order. They are pretty convenient and great for starting brewers who want to add a bit of extra to a basic beer, or those who want to add to secondary, the keg...
Mark

Sorry Richard, but nearly everything you said is wrong
Well with the possible exception of it looking normal - frankly I don't take the top off a fermenter and peer inside often enough to know, that's just inviting an infection.
CO2 is odourless, anything that you are smelling is being carried out by the CO2 and it shouldn't smell "bad" although there are some undesirable volatiles that will be carried off (scrubbed out ), they shouldn't be offensive.
No beer should ever spend more than 14 days in contact with the first yeast cake, and that's at well controlled brewery temperatures. Say 14-20 for Ale and <12oC for Lagers. if your brewing over 20oC make that 7 days. After that there is measurable harm being done to the beer.
If you haven't finished fermenting in 7 days you have under pitched. Leaving beer too long is a really bad idea!

Don't go puddling around in the fermenter trying to get the Tea Bag out, again like taking the lid off you would really up the chances of an infection.
Tea Bagged hops take longer to give up their goods than would the same hops added loose, but you get less mess and they are a convenient way to add hops. Best to put them in at the start and leave them the hell alone until you clean the fermenter.

It looks like a nearly finished brew, if it has off flavours its probably either infected or brewed too hot, but Galaxy can take a bit of getting used to especially when the beer is young.

Capt - T-bags are pretty widely available over here there is a decent range of hops bagged commercially, some home brew shops will make up late/aroma hops in T-bags to order. They are pretty convenient and great for starting brewers who want to add a bit of extra to a basic beer, or those who want to add to secondary, the keg...
Mark
How do you dry hop or add gelatin to your wort then if you don't take the lid off? I've read some people leave there wort in primary for up to 5 weeks and in some of the brewing books I have the recipies state 3 weeks. As for the hop bag I have enclosed pic as I'm at work right now but hops give a grassy taste if left for too long. In all the time I've been brewing I've never had a infection and I think it's something people are obsessed about. Maybe I'm just a very clean and hygienic brewer. BECAUSE WE DONT ALL BREW THE SAME DOESNT MAKE US WRONG.
Screenshot_20190125-161217_Google.jpeg

Fancy that, go back to 2009 and you can find another opinion on the www that you agree with.
Read up on "Yeast Autolysis" "Protease A" and I would suggest the descriptor Vegetal, which can come from some hop varieties used to excess and usually from hops that are in poor condition, but the major sources are DMS (or other VDK's) and infections.
If you leave a beer in contact with the yeast long enough it will be stuffed, saying that the longer you leave it the better - is wrong.
Short answer is that beer should be left in the fermenter long enough to finish, but not long enough to allow the yeast to breakdown and damage the beer. Under those conditions, quality hops (unless you have totally ODed or chosen a very grassy hop) wont throw either grassy or vegetal flavours.
There are very good reasons why there are recommended pitching rates and fermentation temperatures, if you are within the parameters, primary will be over in less than 7 days and you can get better beer faster.

Nobody who brews hasn't had an infected beer, fortunately most infections are pretty innocuous and pass unseen, but believe me its just a matter of time - less tike if you persist in opening up the fermenter.
Mark

Thanks all that was a few days back. I had a taste today it is definitely not off. Just the galaxy hops bag giving it an od smell in comparison to my last brew.

Thanks again for all the feed back.
This is a great forum .

I leave lagers on the yeast for four weeks. Admittedly, two of those weeks are at cold temperatures with one week at 0C. I have been doing this since 2005 with no ill effects whatsoever and believe me, there is nowhere for off flavours to hide in light lagers.
I don't think I would want to push past the four week period although a few have gone five weeks with no problems

I’m new here.

The above bickering is the reason I deleted “FaceBook” and went back to a forum for all my advice.

Knowleadge is power and slagging mud only imparts bad tastes.

Take what you know and pass it on. You don’t have to be the best but your technique could add to someone else’s solution.

In saying that.
All I know from brewimg comes from the web.
Everyone’s mistakes and success have lead me to how I brew after only starting 2 months ago.

I’ve seen so many videos on brewing my wife calls me obsessed.
I’ve also seen so many wired and insane sanitizing, cross contamination, infection problems and guys come out with good looking brews.
I’ve seen hands go in worts.
I’ve seen out door back steep Apple cider brews
I’ve seen mistakes take on some crazy flavors.
Truth is, we should stay vigilant with our worts but everyone gets so anal about keeping things by the book.

I have done some small sanitization mishap in the only 4 brews I’ve ever brewed.
Nothing has gone wrong and I’m sure one day it will but, I’ll keep sanitizing as per every video, article or forum I’ve read.

@jcav
Ive been at this point too.
We read and watch and hear of horror stories and want our wort to brew perfect first go.
Just go with it. If it smells funny, have a quick taste at your next SG and if it taste funny, turns out you can make sour brews so sometimes not all is lost.
But don’t take my word for it as I’m as green as they come to this home brew stuff.

@Richard williamson
I agree, I’ve seen this before and can’t see anything wrong. I’ve freaked out at what looks infected but brewed perfect. (Well it tastes like beer and left me with a glow like beer)

@MHB
Hi there
You look like someone who has a lot of wisdom towards brewing. Your knowledge is something we new comers look for when our giddy, wide eyes want to run through the local brew shop like a kid in a candy store.
I’m sure you would have communicated better in person and typing out your opinion was lost in punctuation.
Thanks for your input.

Peace out, I’ve got an Apple cider to bottle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back