Is This Normal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyle

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm currently gearing up for my first AG brew and had a test of my new NASA burner & medium pressure adjustable reg tonight. Works well though when I crank the reg up to max the flame really wraps itself around the pot and licks up the sides :eek: . The black paint has started to burn off the stand too, which I did expect but not that far from the centre.

Is this normal for a NASA or should I be raising my pot higher or something to stop this?

Boil_Flames.jpg

Burner_Paint_1.jpg

Burner_Paint.jpg

The NASA burner stand appears to work well for kegs, but is on the low side for flat bottom pots. I'd be picking it up ~25-30mm. Think you'll find it performs a lot better there.

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently gearing up for my first AG brew and had a test of my new NASA burner & medium pressure adjustable reg tonight. Works well though when I crank the reg up to max the flame really wraps itself around the pot and licks up the sides :eek: . The black paint has started to burn off the stand too, which I did expect but not that far from the centre.

Is this normal for a NASA or should I be raising my pot higher or something to stop this?

View attachment 16081

View attachment 16082

View attachment 16083

All normal, pull the burner apart and give a good scrub with a wire brush to remove burnt paint etc from inside. Needs this from time to time to keep it working in tip top cond. You can spray the stand with Pot Belly Black if you want it to look nice.

Screwy

Same thing happened to mine too. As Screwtop said, you will need to wire brush it a few times until the paint stops flaking.

Too easy! Thanks for the help.
I'm not too concerned with the paint flaking but more about the flames of death up the sides. If this is normal and the NASA hasn't exploded in a ball of fire wiping out anyones house, car or dog, I'll just leave as is :D .

Too easy! Thanks for the help.
I'm not too concerned with the paint flaking but more about the flames of death up the sides. If this is normal and the NASA hasn't exploded in a ball of fire wiping out anyones house, car or dog, I'll just leave as is :D .

Wind your reg back, no sense in trying to heat the neighbourhood :lol:

Latest posts

Back