Is This My First Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only ever lost one brew and that was to an infection, fermentation stalled from an out of date kit and yeast before AG days and I left it far too long. Didn't bottle it though.
Learnt from it, don't cut corners, check dates on kits & yeast, clean & sanitise really good for next brew. All the best.
Cheers

Thanks guys. I taste my hydro test samples now. Although that one did taste good at first but went down hill really fast. Live and learn I guess. Full revision of my sanitising now in place. Put a new batch down in that fermenter after 28 hours of soaking it. Lets see if it's clean enough this time.

Learning things the hard way has it's advantages.
To know something can close the mind to learning.
To understand something takes an open mind.
Brewing is art.

Brewing is art.

I don't know what you're on boagsy but it's serving you well :icon_cheers:
Cheers

Brewing is art.

Nice work, Boagsy!
Fasty, I just had a look over my old brewing records from KnK days. In just over 270 brews I had four notable infections, and I remember them pretty well. Vegemite flavours, vinegar....It broke my f*ckin heart to tip all that beer down the drain, and as a result, my sanitation regime got better.
As long as you can learn from mistakes, take on good advice from others and find a product/ combo of sanitation products that work for you, then you will only improve your beer.
Cheers, John.

Just an update. I cleaned that fermenter really weel and it has had a batch in it for 4 days now and NO signs of nastys on top. I know it's a bit early but I think I have nailed this infection problem on the head. I have a really strict cleaning regime now and think it will work better for me.
Cheers.

Just an update. I cleaned that fermenter really weel and it has had a batch in it for 4 days now and NO signs of nastys on top. I know it's a bit early but I think I have nailed this infection problem on the head. I have a really strict cleaning regime now and think it will work better for me.
Cheers.

I would have it soaking in a bleach solution still.Did you remember to pull apart the tap as well?Cleaned and sanitized?

What cleaning and sanitizing regime did you use?

Just curious as I rarely see such a quick solution to a very obvious infection.

Yes, I pulled the tap apart and soaked the whole lot in a mix of hot water and a very strong dose of sodium metabisulphite. I know I was told to use STARSAN but I couldn't get to my LHBS. First I washed the fermenter in hot water and then soaked in the mix for over 24 hours.

Sodium met works best due to the gas (sulphur dioxide) emitted when the solution has dried. Generally to use effectively - make up to recommended propoertion (no more, no less) soak/coat everything then drain and allow to dry. Once dry, let stand an hour before rinsing.

I have used it (still use it but in conjunction with other sanitisers) and found it to work fine. The fact that it needs to be rinsed is part of the issue with it but my experience is that it gets a worse rep than it deserves. It is probably better for killing wild yeast than starsan which is supposedly a yeast nutrient. Star san is easier to use, less toxic and probably more efficient at killing bacteria.

Oh, and Fasty READ CAREFULLY about mixing/accidentally mixing different household/brew chemicals.

It can be very DANGEROUS.

Didn't you say you were going to ditch the met (lung cleaner)? Mate, I would've had that baby still soaking in bleach too. I hope it turns out ok.

Thanks mate, looks like I will switch to bleach.

Bleach is strong and a good sanitiser but may still need to be rinsed. If very carefully measured, you can use a proportion that requires no rinsing but unrinsed bleach in the wrong proportion can make your beer taste like a band-aid. Yes I've done it.

Hoohaman also has a good point - you shouldn't mix oxygen bleach (napisan etc) with chlorine bleach. Nor should you mix vinegar and chlorine incorrectly. Please read up on it first.

There is loads of info out there. Please start reading some of it. Then ask questions for clarification.

I know i've come in a bit late with this but the first one "Moon Beer" looks like "Flor" yeast, the same stuff that they use for concentrating sherry. it probably would have been OK if you bottled it as i don't think it would have contributed to the flavour.

i have also had this from a batch of coopers yeast which i put into a starter as an experiement to test taste and flocculency of different yeasts. all the other yeasts were fine in the experiement, so it may not have been your fault, it still tasted fine and was at normal gravity at the end.

This yeast will only grow like that in a oxygen environment, i'd be checking on the seal of your fermenter or try using glad wrap and the rubber ring from the lid to seal, i've found this works well can you can check on whats going on. One of my fermenter has a leek/seal problem and it makes it hard to know if things are happening as the air lock only operates when the yeast is in full swing then stops as things slow down.

P.S. get some starsan or saniclean or other no-rinse sanitiser, put it in a squirt bottle, use liberally on anything that goes near your brew!

Thanks mate. I just tipped out 20 of the 22 bottles. I am keeping 2 bottles just to try. It was pretty mad when I opened the bottle (PETE bottles), they foamed up pretty wildly, the bottom sediment came rushing to the top and foamed up ( bad sign I think).
I have found the source of my infection. It came from my stirring spoon, it was a plastic one that we used to cook our food with. I got up this morning and it had white growths all over it (shoulda taken a pic), so I just went and got a stainless steel one that is now ONLY for my brews.

Fingers crossed you have nailed this issue mate.

Nothing more frustrating imo.

Do you think soaking these bottles for 24 hours in starsan is long enough?

Back