Is my US05 causing haze?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Racking my brain here. I have been brewing Dr Smurto's Golden Ale recently, and after boiling and whirlpooling (3 vessel, single infusion), I am transfering crystal clear wort to the fermenter.

The first time I brewed it on this system, the beer came out perfectly.

The past two times though, the beer has finished fermenting nicely, but was 'muddy'. Cold crashing dropped the yeast out (I'm using US05), but the resulting beer was still very hazy.

I kegged, and then geletined, but even after a couple of weeks, the beer is still hazy.

Fermentation temp was 18-20 degrees. I will admit that I didn't pay particular attention to the Aeration on these two brews. Other brews, including an all Pale Malt APA came out crystal clear (I ensured the aeration on these).

Any ideas? Could it simply be Aeration?

I have brewed some crystal clear beers using US05
Are you using any finnings? Some help clear "chill haze"
No chill or chill - might be chill haze
I have found leaving the beer on the yeast cake for a week after fermentation is complete helps clear a brew.

It just happens..which is why people filter (I don't). The only thing I can say sure is that is not the yeast alone that is causing your problem (?)
Aeration is great for yeast and thus fermentation, but a fervent ferment will result in greater yeast cells dead or alive.
Time..or ..filtering cure all things !!

K

Pour a glass of beer from your keg and leave it stand to warm up.
If it clears as it warms it is chill haze and may be corrected with Polyclar in the secondary.

If the haze is caused by the yeast then it may be ingredients or brewing practices that are the cause.
I personally think dry US 05 is a poor flocker.

Cheers

if you gelatined it shouldnt be yeast.

heres a beer using us-05 that had been in the keg 4 days and was gelatined

IMG_0481.JPG

Latest posts

Back