Is it still drinkable

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
While crash chilling one of my brews it has sucked all of the sanitiser in my air lock into the fermenter. My problem is I am using a blow off tube into a 600ml water bottle half filled with non rinse sanitiser(sodium percarbonate) it would of sucked in 300ml im assuming. My question is can I still drink it or should I throw it away? It was a fairly strong mix

If it was a few mls in a 23L batch i'd say shit happens, but 300 odd mls i reckon it's fertiliser now.

Crying shame, feel your pain.

Martin

Have you tasted any? It seems like a lot of sodium perc, but it's just over 1% (assuming a 23L brew). I honestly don't know what I'd do, assuming it tasted ok.

Yeah thought so going to hurt putting it down the sink will have to look at a one way valve on my blow off tube or something
Cheers

Is sodium percarbonate a no rinse sanitiser?

Well I guess theres his problem

Phil Mud said:
Would you consider ditching the airlock? Lots of brewers swear by glad wrap.
+1.

Time to ditch the airlock. Gladwrap is so much easier. Wish I did it years ago.

sluggerdog said:
+1.

Time to ditch the airlock. Gladwrap is so much easier. Wish I did it years ago.
Please read the OP.

He is using a blow off tube and a bottle as an airlock.

Sodium perc definitely doesn't improve beer flavour, I can vouch for this, recently didn't flush my keg line and drank a few pots wondering what slight chemical hint note was only to later realise... rest of the beer is great now that it has flushed - so feel your pain losing so much :-(

Still haven't got around to tipping it down the sink but thanks for the advice the packaging on the steriliser defiantly say rinse free though better to walk on the side of caution cheers

Latest posts

Back