Is It Possible To Convert A Non Flooded Font?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian ulrick

Reaction score
OK I think I know the answer to this silly question. Is it possible to convert a non flooded font to glycol? I don't have much knowledge on fonts other than how to get beer out of them :D. I have the opportunity to purchase an Andale Colonnette font but was wanting a Glycol system. I think that I may have problems pouring with a non flooded font. The taps will be 3 to 4 meters from the fridge. If it's not possible I may then wait till the right one comes along. Any suggestions on this topic and how a non flooded system can work well will be appreciated.

Cheers Baldrick.

I have bent a piece of copper pipe into a U that fits up inside a dry font and then plumed it to the cold flow and return lines.

Usually I try to get the top of the U as close to the taps as possible, then wrap the beer line/s and flow/return lines in tape and insulate everything back to the pump, works, but not as well as a made for the job flooded font.

Often there isnt enough room to get 2 more lines into the threaded part that goes through the bar as dry fonts often only have outlets on single tap and 1through bar threads on 2-3 tap fonts.

So the answer is a definite maybe.

MHB

I have bent a piece of copper pipe into a U that fits up inside a dry font and then plumed it to the cold flow and return lines.

Usually I try to get the top of the U as close to the taps as possible, then wrap the beer line/s and flow/return lines in tape and insulate everything back to the pump, works, but not as well as a made for the job flooded font.

Often there isnt enough room to get 2 more lines into the threaded part that goes through the bar as dry fonts often only have outlets on single tap and 1through bar threads on 2-3 tap fonts.

So the answer is a definite maybe.

MHB

Thanks MHB for your reply. Very hard to decide as I could get this 4 tap font at a good price.
Looking at the Andale site the Carlton Font comes in flooded/unflooded and all others including the Colonnette just have flooded. Could I be correct in assuming that the Colonnette only comes in flooded. Is their anyone that can tell me if I am right or wrong as at present I can't get in contact with the owner for them to tell me if it is or isn't.

Cheers Baldrick

Back