Is 47 Ibu's (cascade & Nel Sauvin) Too Much

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
Gonna put down a extract Yak clone type of thing and i hate having little bits of hops left over.

ive got 50 gram od Cascade and 50gr Nelson sauvin with using all but 30 gr it dry hop it comes in at 47 ibus.....im kinda thinking it will be unbalanced

whats the recipe? sounds a little high, i would be aiming for 30IBU

if you wish to use all your hops why not push your additions to later in the boil (more hops, less time) to achieve the desired IBU, should also increase flavour if close to the end

2kg LDME
1/2 kg Carared
100 gr 270 crystal
1 kg dex

20g Cas @60, 15 gr NS & 10grCas @45, 10gr NS @10

Dry hop 10gr Cas & 20gr NS 1 day before FG

us-05 (rehy)

OG:1.054 FG:1.011

CC for 5 days @ 1deg.C

sounds ok but 500g carared might make it a bit sweet, i would keep to around 200g of crystal malts

OB,
i reckon she'll be a bit bitter at 47IBU's..

I've just done a NS SMaSH (single malt, single hop) and i did 10g at 30mins, 15mins and flameout. I dry hopped with 15 after 7days and i reckon next time i will probably change the hop schedule and use a little less. Only comes in on paper around 21IBU's, but i no chilled this beer, so it might be closer to 25-30???

Seems to me that NS can be very prominent. I get lots of grapefruit from it, which is nice, but might take another recipe tweak to get it just right....

Admittedly your mixing with Cascade, but at 47IBU's i'm not sure it will balance itself.

Having said that, if you go ahead with this recipe, please let me know as these two varieties are my favourtie at the moment, and would love to know how they go together...

Cheers n beers

nath

Thanks guys

Ive knocked them back to later in the boil and it comes out at 35 ibus, but leaves a 40 gr dry hop, which i think is too much, so ill just have to live with some left overs me thinks.

Ive also dropped back the carared..ive been in a bit of a BIG beer fetish of late, i need to adjust the thinking back to "normal" settings.

In rough terms the bitterness ratio of that recipe would be in the low 0.8xx region. Might be too bitter for some and probably outside of the top end for style but certainly not entirely out of place. If you wanna run with it and think you can handle it a bit more bitter than intended then go for it. Otherwise do the original recipe and bung the extra in as dry hops. Or save them, they don't take up all that much room, do they?

[EDIT: Your shit is slow and irrelevant, Bum. Get with the program.]

Not trying to convince anyone of the no chill method (as it's been done to death in recent posts), but you could probably get all of your hops, halve them, and do two batches if you buy extra fermentables for another batch...Might make them go further, have no nasty little bits of leftovers, etc...

Just a thought...

EDIT: Just checked my recipe for the last NS smash, i used 45grams of NS total. You've got 100g (50g NS, 50g Cascade). The more i think about this the more i would do it if it was me...Repeat, if it was me....

each and to their own though.

Is this piece of string too long? Brew to your tastes mate.

Pretty much.

@oatlands:

47 is fine for some beers, bad for others. Fine for some palates, bad for others.

Have a read up on BU:GU to see if it balances on paper - most of all though just adjust according to what you know you like.

I use hops as needed in my recipe rather than trying to just get rid of stuff. The only time that changes is if I make a mistake and realise I don't have enough of X and need to sub it with (appropriate) Y - still keep to the same IBU level though.

As an aside - you could always build up more in your flavour/aroma additions to tweak the IBU downwards and still use them up.

have revised the hops as such:

10g cas @60
10gr ns @45

20gr both @ 10

dry hop 20gr ns

20gr of cascade will never go to waste

This comes out at 35.4 ibu

you could always make the largest volume your fermenter will fit and use more malt to balance it out. Also I just done a fat yak clone its in the fermenter but tastes bloody nice

recipe:

23lts
3kg LDME
200g dex
10g POR @ 60mins
63g cascade @ whirlpool
22g nelson sav @ whirlpool

I only done a whirlpool to try to get it more like the real thing was told that they used 30g cascade to 10g nelson and all added in the whirlpool also its bittered with POR. only been in fermenter 6 days but have good aroma and heaps of flavour.

edit: for whirlpool addition I added at flameout and whirlpooled for a few mins put the lid on and let it sit for 15-20 mins before chilling in water bath

IMO, its all perception. I've had both of brewdogs punk IPA and hardcore IPA. I believe the punk is around 60-70 IBU, and the hardcore is 100+

The hardcore IPA wasn't that bad, as it had a fair bit of malt to back it up. Also I think past a certain point its hard to differentiate between IBU's. For example if you had two different beers that were 50 IBUs and 55 IBUS, would you be able to tell the difference?

OB,
i reckon she'll be a bit bitter at 47IBU's..

I've just done a NS SMaSH (single malt, single hop) and i did 10g at 30mins, 15mins and flameout. I dry hopped with 15 after 7days and i reckon next time i will probably change the hop schedule and use a little less. Only comes in on paper around 21IBU's, but i no chilled this beer, so it might be closer to 25-30???

Seems to me that NS can be very prominent. I get lots of grapefruit from it, which is nice, but might take another recipe tweak to get it just right....

Admittedly your mixing with Cascade, but at 47IBU's i'm not sure it will balance itself.

Having said that, if you go ahead with this recipe, please let me know as these two varieties are my favourtie at the moment, and would love to know how they go together...

Cheers n beers

nath

Nath, I beleive you and I both got 500g of NS from Kenworthy??

With 45g in each finished batch, this will last ages :super:

Tyler

Back