irish red

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
hey all! im pretty keen to try something a little different for my next brew, I want to do this

http://www.coopers.c...e/irish-red-ale

but I think it could use some flavouring and aroma hops, as I am a new brewer im not sure when to add these or how, any help would be appreciated.

and suggestions as to what hops, maybe whatever hops are in fat yak/little creatures pale ales?

thank you in advance, everyone here has been mighty helpful so far!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey I did one of these a few years ago and turned out not bad for a pale ale. I subbed out the coopers with a black rock pale ale.

Fat Yak.
1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops – @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops – @0min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

it does also say that you could use 150g Wheat Malt extract - Steep (if you can get some it will help).. Ive never used wheat malt extract does it make a big difference?

or this one

1x coopers pale ale
1kg ldme
250g dextrose
33g cascade at 10min
27g Nelson Sauvin at 10mins
28g Nelson Sauvin at 0min
and 32g cascade dry hopped

As far as an Irish ale would maybe consider using a wyeast Irish ale. Should be available in your lhbs.
It's really good for Irish red ales and dry stouts.

Dave

That link doesn't work so no idea what it is suggesting

A good start would be using Wyeast 1084 at 22C and ditch any kit yeast (or use it as a nutrient)
Steep some Carared and add some Fuggles and EKG and Robert's your Mother's Brother!

Strictly speaking Irish Reds do not have much hop presence. The use of the Wyeast 1084 is a good suggestion, it's Irish in origin, or at least closely related to the yeast used by Guinness. If steeping, I'd use Caraaroma which is redder than Carared.

+1
The hopping is generally under 30ibu and only for bittering. Similar to Scottish. Its an historic thing that came about with the cost and supply of hops in England. Since the transport costs where high and the quality when delivered was poorer it was too expensive to make english beers and IPA's so they had to brew fairly low IBU beer.

Cararoma is awsome in red ales. That with some RB and munich to get the sweetnes up

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/irish-red-ale

link working now?
its in the recipe section on the coopers sitr under ales anyways

Irish red Ale
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most ex-
amples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan
colored head.

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like
but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a
light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop
aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occa-
sionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes
with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic
dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some
examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low
hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may in-
crease the perception of bitterness to the medium range.
Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions
can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although exam-
ples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick
mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately at-
tenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alco-
hol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused
with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.
Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will
not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the
roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.
So basically no Flavour or Aroma hops

I think the Coopers recipe is too weak need to up the Light Dry malt to 1.0kg.

Irish Red Ale

1x Coopers Pale Ale Kit
1kg Light Dry Malt Extract
200g CaraAroma
200g CaraRed
200g CaraPils
10g Roasted Barley

1084 yeast or US-05

then the next step is to get rid of the kit and use all LDME and boil hops.

wow, thanks Ian H!
though on seeing the description I may go with another type of ale as I want to try using hopps for the first time (only my third brew). so I may try a well hopped pale, IPA or amber.

where did that description come from?

sticksy said:
wow, thanks Ian H!
though on seeing the description I may go with another type of ale as I want to try using hopps for the first time (only my third brew). so I may try a well hopped pale, IPA or amber.

Guidelines are from BJCP and can be found here

Alternatively they are in my spreadsheet which is a sticky on the kits and Extract Forum

You could steep your grains and boil some American Hops in the runnings for half an hour (say 20g Cascade) then dry hop with 20g of something else American such as Centennial, and it would tend to be an American Amber.

<trivia>
When Ireland gained its independence from the UK they tended to forge closer ties with the USA where there was already an Irish Priest and an Irish Cop on every street corner of course :p and Guinness in particular sourced a lot of their malt most of their hops from the USA, probably varieties grown in upstate NY that was the main hop growing area at the time. Nowadays they use a bittering extract, no doubt American as well.
</trivia>

sticksy said:
wow, thanks Ian H!

Hey Sticksy, there is no reason why you can't make a red ale and hop it like an APA. It won't be an Irish Red Ale but it should be pretty good.

You could go with the recipe in the link you provided and just add some extra hopiness through a hop tea. If you like the Fat Yak hop character, I think that it is a combo of Nelson Sauvin and Cascade. Maybe go with 20g of each, mix with 500mls of boiling water in a coffee plunger, let sit for 5 minutes, then strain into the fermenter along with the rest of the ingredients. You can go with the kit yeast but I would grab a pack of US-05 for it.

The method Bribie suggested would work pretty well too.

yeah they both sound great! my beer stocks are low so im giong to run a brew straight after the other so I may try both of these and sample side by side.

how much does the yeast effect the brew?

sticksy said:
how much does the yeast effect the brew?

The type of yeast will have a big impact. IMO it is the most important ingredient.

Is it worth spending the extra $5 on a packet of yeast? Up to you but I would do it. Particularly if you want something that has the hop character of a Fat Yak/LCPA, in which case I would use US05. Fermented in the recommended range, this will give you a clean fermentation and mainain the hop flavour. BRY-97 is another dry yeast that is supposed to go alright in this type of beer but I have never used it.

I am not sure what type of yeast is in the kit or what results that will give you. It could be alright. If you are interested in doing two similar brews you could brew the same beer on two different yeasts, one with the kit yeast and with another one. That will give you a pretty good appreciation of the impact that yeast has on the finished product

yeah, I reckon il do one with the nelson/cascade us05 then next with the same ingredients cascade/centennial and as ill have them there the two yeast packs from the kits in a starter.

while we are here, you seem like pretty experienced brewers, whats your favorite easy Kit N Bit recipies?

Latest posts

Back