Irish red ale yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxedBrewer

Reaction score
Just wondering what yeast people recommend for an Irish red ale?
I was planning on using either WLP 004 (Irish Ale) or Wyeast 1084 (Irish ale) but my LHBS is currently out of stock of them.
I currently have a few that I think might be suitable
Wyeast 1056 (american ale)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale)
WLP 013 (London Ale)
WLP 090 (San Diego super)

Any recommendations from people experienced with the style?

I've only brewed with the WLP004 but I'd think the London Ale would be more to style with more malt character the hop.
Maybe one of the dry versions would be a better option? Windsor or Nottingham?

Even Coopers bottle yeast is worth considering.

I quite like both Windsor and Notto.

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, actually, :) goes well at 22 degrees.

Bribie G said:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, actually, :) goes well at 22 degrees.
That is what I was planning on using but it is out of stock. Was after another suggestion, hopefully from something I already had.

Tried making my 2nd irish red a few months back after having great results with the

WLP004 but ended up using some nottingham i had in the fridge instead. It came out tasting almost identical to a tooheys old. Drinkable but not what i was aiming for. I'd go with the WLP004 but thats only based on me using it once :lol:

Sorry didn't read your OP properly... I hate to say this but I'd be inclined to use S-04 as you are not looking for too much yeast character or fruitiness.

I would gofor london style yeast.

W1728 scottish is also an awsome yeast for red ales

RelaxedBrewer - both will work fine in a malty Irish red ale, but they will compliment different aspects. I'd go with the London Ale myself, unless I wanted to serve the beer a little colder and slightly more highly carbonated and then I'd go with the American Ale. Either way with a little care and an open mind you will make a delicious beer. Good brewing! :icon_cheers:

I am leaning towards the WLP 013 London as it is one of my favourites.

I will ferment it cool and try to let the malt shine.

Latest posts

Back