Ipswich Show Beer Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewers Choice

Reaction score
Ipswich Show Beer Competition - 12 May

Due to ill health of the usual Stewards of the Ipswich Show Beer Competition, Brewers Choice has been asked to host the Beer Competition for 2011. The competition will be held at the Ipswich Show, with judging on Thursday 12 May.

Categories: The categories for the competition are:

1. Lager 2. Bitter 3. Ale

4. Dark Ale 5. Stout 6. Draught

Prizes: This year Brewers Choice will be offering:

• Categories - $30, $20, and $10 vouchers for first, second and third places.
  • Champion Beer - $150, $100, and $50 vouchers for first, second and third place.
  • Home Brew Den will be sponsoring a Champion Beer Trophy and Reserve Champion Beer Ribbon.
Entry Fees: $1 per bottle, to be paid on entry. Up to 3 bottles may be entered per class. Each bottle must be a 750ml bottle with a new clean, unbranded gold seal cap.

Entry Forms: All entries can be submitted directly to the Ipswich Show, with entry forms available at:

(Select the Schedules Tab to down load the Entry form).

Alternatively, you can download the form here and enter for free at any Brewers Choice Home Brew Store. Entries must be done by close-of-business, Tuesday 10 May.

Enquiries:

For further information, contact David Kitchen at Brewers Choice (07 3879 3882).

View attachment Ipswich_Show_Beer_Entry.pdf

Just wondering if these sorts of comps are judged with a style in mind or just what the judges enjoy drinking most that day?

Cheers

Kev

Any chance of getting any guidelines as to what the judges would be looking for?... especially interested in the Draught section. I have a lager on draught and was considering entering it in the draught section... or should i enter it into the lager section?

Also can i enter my stout, which is a dark ale, in the stout, dark ale and the ale section?... seeing that it's fermented with an ale yeast?

I look forward to further info.
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

Any chance of getting any guidelines as to what the judges would be looking for?... especially interested in the Draught section. I have a lager on draught and was considering entering it in the draught section... or should i enter it into the lager section?

Also can i enter my stout, which is a dark ale, in the stout, dark ale and the ale section?... seeing that it's fermented with an ale yeast?

I look forward to further info.
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

Presumably these sections are based on the K&K kits that were available when these competitions kicked off back-in-da-day, but it would be interesting to know how the judging worked.
(Almost tempted to bung a Belgian Xmas Ale into the dark ale section)

Without wishing to sound condescending, the home brew section at local shows has tended to be very much pumpkin scone and best red leghorn in show sort of stuff. Quite understandably as the roots of the ag societies have been in this down-home sort of activities, and until fairly recently so was brewing at home. So you can't expect them to overnight upgrade to BJCP nazi guidelines. So yes it would be great to get some guidelines (if they exist) as this is probably new territory for brewers who have been entering BJCP type comps.

edit: EX SWMBO I used to breed and show smooth Fox Terriers and did our fair share of shows back in the 80s and, I can tell you that the HB sections were always well patronised even back then.

Each bottle must be a 750ml bottle with a new clean, unbranded gold seal cap.

Entry Forms: All entries can be submitted directly to the Ipswich Show, with entry forms available at:

Geez they dont half make it tough.
Thought about it but PETs dont comply.
Only breast fed babies in them parts I spose. :D
Daz

Guys,

The way it stands, forget about style guidelines. I've been entering this comp for a few years (took out champion beer for the past two years) The feedback you get is on a piece of paper the size of a small shopping docket with a tick and flick of the most basic information. IIRC the scoring is out of 25 or 30. The judging has been done by the judges guild associated with the QAAWBG, which has all but died a quiet death and these judges do not use BJCP guidelines.
In the past the prizes have been $5 for 1st place $3 for second and $2 for third and a can of Coopers for the champion beer. When I saw David's post with the sponsorship of the prizes I thought this is going to cause some interest from afar and decided to forgo entering the comp and offer my services as a judge that has knowledge of the BJCP and use BJCP score sheets so that entrants are not shocked by the lack of feedback and give future comps a miss. David has passed this on to the organisers, but I don't expect to get an offer as from what I have seen in the past they are fairly rusted on in their ways and resist change. Hopefully I will get a nod and can give the entrants some worthwhile feed back. As you can see the categories are pretty strange, what constitutes draught? There are no guidelines. I'd love to get involved with this comp and introduce BJCP to it and make it one of Brisbanes premier competitions with the help of Brewers Choice.

cheers

Browndog

edit spelin

Each bottle must be a 750ml bottle with a new clean, unbranded gold seal cap.

Geez they dont half make it tough.
Thought about it but PETs dont comply.
Only breast fed babies in them parts I spose. :D
Daz

Daz, I have always entered PET bottles, it is one of the issues that need sorting out.

cheers

Browndog

Daz, I have always entered PET bottles, it is one of the issues that need sorting out.

cheers

Browndog

Hey Brownie,
Just checked out Kilcoy show, its on this weekend. They dont even have anything to do with wine or beer and there are several vineyards and wineries in the area, so Ipswich has got one one them.
They do however have ride-on lawn mower racing. :beerbang:

Can I assume that entries will be taken at sponsors stores? or Entries directly to the show society only.

It would be great if you could enlighten the commitee to whats new to brewing but that could leave you with a work load for next year. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Hey Brownie,
Just checked out Kilcoy show, its on this weekend. They dont even have anything to do with wine or beer and there are several vineyards and wineries in the area, so Ipswich has got one one them.
They do however have ride-on lawn mower racing. :beerbang:

Can I assume that entries will be taken at sponsors stores? or Entries directly to the show society only.

It would be great if you could enlighten the commitee to whats new to brewing but that could leave you with a work load for next year. :icon_cheers:
Daz

From Dave's post I would assume you can leave them at any Brewers Choice Daz, it used to be you had to have them at the Ipswich Show grounds by a certain day, but with Brewers Choice coming on board it seems that has changed for the better.

-Browndog

I've contacted the Chief Steward about the PET bottles, will advise.

Might have to drop a stout into the local brewers choice. Hope you get a gig browndog. If we all get on board the old judges wont know what hit them. Sounds like a bit of fun either way.

Cheers Brad

I could be wrong but I think there is a large obstacle to overcome.
The judging has been done by the judges guild associated with the QAAWBG, which has all but died a quiet death and these judges do not use BJCP guidelines.

Glad to see there is plenty of interest already in the competition - I thought the classifications might raise a few eyebrows - especially the draught section. I will raise these questions with the Judges as soon as I am notified who they are and will post an update as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, I think the best course of action is to simply brew the best beer and enter it in the closest category to what you have made! Brewers Choice will take any entries and submit them on your behalf - just make sure you have filled out the forms properly and have them at one of the Brewers Choice stores by close-of-business 10 May.

Guys,

The way it stands, forget about style guidelines. I've been entering this comp for a few years (took out champion beer for the past two years) The feedback you get is on a piece of paper the size of a small shopping docket with a tick and flick of the most basic information. IIRC the scoring is out of 25 or 30. The judging has been done by the judges guild associated with the QAAWBG, which has all but died a quiet death and these judges do not use BJCP guidelines.
In the past the prizes have been $5 for 1st place $3 for second and $2 for third and a can of Coopers for the champion beer. When I saw David's post with the sponsorship of the prizes I thought this is going to cause some interest from afar and decided to forgo entering the comp and offer my services as a judge that has knowledge of the BJCP and use BJCP score sheets so that entrants are not shocked by the lack of feedback and give future comps a miss. David has passed this on to the organisers, but I don't expect to get an offer as from what I have seen in the past they are fairly rusted on in their ways and resist change. Hopefully I will get a nod and can give the entrants some worthwhile feed back. As you can see the categories are pretty strange, what constitutes draught? There are no guidelines. I'd love to get involved with this comp and introduce BJCP to it and make it one of Brisbanes premier competitions with the help of Brewers Choice.

cheers

Browndog

edit spelin

It would be great to see you involved BD.

Ipswich deserves a quality comp....everyone knows Ipswich is the beer epicentre of QLD!

It would be great to see you involved BD.

Ipswich deserves a quality comp....everyone knows Ipswich is the beer epicentre of QLD!

Too right mate as far as state comps go. Not going to happen this year though as I have been offered the position of steward.

Guys,

The Chief Steward has advised me that PET bottles will be aqccepted.

cheers

Browndog

Just a reminder that entries for the Ipswich Show need to be delivered to a Brewers Choice Store by close-of-business this Tuesday 10 May for delivery to the show. Otherwise, entries will have to be submitted directly to the Ipswich Show.

Good Luck everyone.

Back