IPA Hopping Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stuff it, i'm ganna add 50g of cascade and 50g of simcoe, so 200g all up in the dry hop

Good.

Please tell us the result.

I've recently gone back to dry hopping and added 30gms each of citra, cascade and chinook to an 'APA' (although the chest beating does nothing for me and I like doing sessionable AIPAs at around %5.8-%6 and 65 IBUS so I cal what I did an AIPA) and the first two days smelled amazing in the whole back porch but not much now. Primary fermentation had died down but I still suspect if the porch smelled so great then I might have lost a lot of potential aroma from the beer itself.

fermenter smells good, dry hops for me was added 5 days after start primary and into secondary, so no more bubbles from air lock...

Lecterfan said:
Good.

Please tell us the result.

I've recently gone back to dry hopping and added 30gms each of citra, cascade and chinook to an APA
Sounds like you might need some help with it.. Will be down directly ;)

I'll let you know how it turns out..... 10g per L, maybe I would be better off spreading hop pellets on my toast. yum!

bmarshall said:
200g for 20L? ;} have read 60g is good and noticeable and 120g on the over powering side. I do love a hoppy beer though. Could be like a red dick hop bach!
I have a keg of IIPA on tap now that had 10 and 1 minute additions north of 10g/l along with 10g/l dry hop and have a keg hop planned in the coming weeks as it's taking a while to get through a 10% beer with the weather we've had recently and the aroma is starting to fade slightly.

The first couple of weeks in the keg the aroma was amazing though, Simcoe and Centennial in equal parts as a dry hop is drool worthy.

Bottled the IPA, smells and tastes oh soooo good :)

Can't wait to crack the first one... :)

Looks better mate (to me) and the formatting is much easier to read too.

Want pictures and tasting notes ;)

:icon_cheers:

[attachment=67314:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388403801.481298.

There's the result (erm hope the photo works). In the end, I put 125g of dry hops in it total (~6g/L), about 50-50 Simcoe and Centennial with a few Galaxy flowers. Had 95g in the primary for 6 days, then 30g of the Simcoe went into the keg. It's a little stronger at 6.3% ABV than I aimed for in the recipe, since it attenuated pretty well (1.061 down to 1.013).

It's definitely got the fresh pine/resin hop character that I was aiming for, that dominates along with a bit of citrus. The bitterness is fairly smooth, it doesn't catch the back of the throat at all. I can't get too many tropical fruity taste I would expect from Galaxy, but that doesn't really bother me. There's some malt and caramel flavours there as well, which increase at the finish.

It's a not a bad drop overall. Next time I'll probably follow a bit of the advice in the thread and use a bit less crystal and no melanoidin, since it would improve with slightly less malt flavour. It could afford to be a little bit more bitter as well. I'll definitely keep experimenting with high rates and multiple stages of dry hopping though. WY1217 is definitely a winner too.

Thanks again for the advice.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388403801.481298.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388403801.481298.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 28
Back