IPA critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
thought i put this here as bit more relevant

the Red X is there to use it up
the choc wheat used for colour as i have it on hand
the dry hop isn't set in concrete

what do we think brewers?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Batch 45. AIPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.26%
IBU (tinseth): 63.2
SRM (morey): 11.21

FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (86.8%)
0.5 kg - German - Red X (8.7%)
0.2 kg - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.5%)
0.06 kg - German - Chocolate Wheat (1%)

HOPS:
4 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 5.87
50 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 14.03
150 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 95 °C, IBU: 43.3
100 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-01-13 02:10 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-01-13 02:10 UTC

Serious amount of hops in there, 300g!! be interested to know how it goes, i put one on yesterday but only 90g of hops in total, hopefully it wont be lacking!!!

I wouldn't be too afraid to bitter with Simcoe, I would pull some back to 60 to get more IBUs there, late bittering doesn't behave quite the same. You can then apply some more late additions rather than relying on your 20 minute to produce so much IBU.

Having said that I do love 20 minute additions so not suggesting you drop them all together.

I'd also some of the 20 minute to 10 and whirlpool.

Keen to hear how this combo goes, two great hops... use Galaxy and Mosaic together frequently, Simcoe is on the cards.

Edit: oops I see that 20 minute IS whirlpool.... well in that case, I'd maybe take a little of that and move it to 10 minutes, but not too much...

Yeah I'd second that, the ibu's you get from whirlpooling aren't quite the same as a bittering charge. I put down an ne Ipa recently with a 30g magnum hit at 60 and then 180g of mosaic and citra in the whirlpool. It's balanced, but so smooth that I wish I put a little more magnum up front. Looks like a great beer though, good luck with it.

I would make the 60min magnum addition at least 20 IBU, reduce your flameout IBUs and add whatever you reduce that by to your dry hop.

Leyther said:
Serious amount of hops in there, 300g!! be interested to know how it goes, i put one on yesterday but only 90g of hops in total, hopefully it wont be lacking!!!
I think 90g of hops in an IPA is welllll underdone. I just did a 4.2% session IPA with 300g total hops (135g of which was dry hopped).

you might want to mash lower than 66 to get that 81% yeast attenuation.

I think 63 IBU is plenty and I personally do a lot of all late additions. My most recent IPA has 100grams of 5.6% AA cascade at 20 minutes to load up on flavour while keeping the IBU of the finished beer under 50. I'm going for a very dry 100% American ale malt though. Also, Simcoe and Mosaic is a good combination but I would reverse the amounts at whirlpool/5 minutes - use the simcoe as the 5 minute addition and the Mosaic as the whirlpool addition - Mosaic gives that nice mango/papaya aroma and Simcoe will add dank/pine maybe passionfruit in support. But for me I want the lovely Mosaic to be the dominant aroma. It's a pretty big IPA I think it deserves at least another 50 grams in the dry hop.

but f**k it man, what you have there will come out pretty nice! depends on the nature of the Simcoe you have got I think. It can be really dank or really passionfruit.

Back