Iodophor In Newcastle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
I have just been to a number of chemists in Newcastle and they all say the same thing that they are not making much Iodine products anymore and no on had any. Can anyone in Newcastle point me to where they get there Iodophor from?
BTW I am speculating that homebrew shops probably don't carry it, but am happy to be mistaken!

Mate - most HB shops will carry it - maybe do a quick call around?

Cheers - Mike

Macr.

If you can't find it at a Chemist or HB store... Try veterinary supplies. They're bound to have some under varying names. :)

Warren -

If you can't find it anywhere, you can order the 500mL bottles of Betadine from www.pharmacydirect.com.au or any farm/vet supplies shop for no more than $15 - works fine for me.

DJR said:
If you can't find it anywhere, you can order the 500mL bottles of Betadine from www.pharmacydirect.com.au or any farm/vet supplies shop for no more than $15 - works fine for me.
[post="127639"][/post]​

I'd be wary is uding things like betadine. Although it is iodine based, you would have to be careful to get the duilution right. Too much and its not effective. Too little and its no longer no rinse. The stuff you buy as a sanitiser has the dilution already worked out for you. the medical stuff is designed for a diferent purpose and will not have instructions for use as a no rinse sanitiser. It may be stronger than the stuff you buy as a sanitiser. It may also have other additives.

Your local home brew shop should have some. Otherwise the non-local ones that do mail order should be able to help. It was used quite a bit in the dairy industry 9before they moved to chlorine) so a farm supplier may have some on hand too.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead

I used to use the Betadine (500ml bottle) at a dilution rate of ~ 1ml per 1 litre of water for a no rinse sanitizer. It seemed to work fine.

I buy proper Iodophor from Grain and Grape now ($6 per 250ml bottle) the dilution rates are the same.

Both seem to behave roughly similar. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -

ESB sell 1ltr bottles online and delivery has always been prompt.

warrenlw63 said:
Airgead

I used to use the Betadine (500ml bottle) at a dilution rate of ~ 1ml per 1 litre of water for a no rinse sanitizer. It seemed to work fine.

I buy proper Iodophor from Grain and Grape now ($6 per 250ml bottle) the dilution rates are the same.

Both seem to behave roughly similar. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -
[post="127643"][/post]​

Warren

I did some checking. The iodiophor I have at home is (from memory) 12.5% iodine so broken down at the recommended dilution (1ml/l) this gives 12.5ppm.

I looked at the data sheets for betadine and most of them seem to be 10% iodine which broken down 1ml/l will give 10ppm. maybe they use less as it is designed to be swabbed onto the skin?

The recommended concentations for no rinse use of iodophore are -

Typical use concentrations are 12.5 - 25 ppm iodine. If an iodine concentration greater than 25 ppm is used to treat food contact surfaces, subsequent rinsing of those surfaces is required.

So regular iodophor diluted as recommended lands right at the bottom of the range. You could even double the amount you use and still be no-rinse. Betadine diluted the same way is just below the recommended range. Only by 2.5% but if you do use it I'd bump up the amount just to be sure.

I guess the key is to read the iodine concentration on whatever you get and make sure you dilute into the 12.5->25% range.

Cheers
Dave

macr said:
Can anyone in Newcastle point me to where they get there Iodophor from?

Macr,

I live in Cardiff and run the store for NNL Beer Supplies and we are just geting our range of Idophor and other brewing chemicals ready for sale.

I have just taken delivery of some 12g/ltr Idophor which will sell for $7 for 250ml. I hav e used this stuff in my brewing for the last 10 years with perfect results.

How much would you like ?

Dave

Macr

I use Betadine at the rate of 2.5 ml/litre. This info was posted on this forum by POL and was referenced to some brewing guru. I haven't had any problems with it since starting using it, though once made up it has relatively short life: I wouldn't use it after half a day or so.

Steve

Thanx all I will just look a bit more. I thought it was fairly cheap per litre.

Latest posts

Back