Inverting / Bashing In Your Kettle's Base

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you inverted the base of your kettle?

• Yes... and it's more efficient

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes... and it hasn't made a difference

• Yes... and it's less efficient

• No... it's perfect how it is

• No... but I'm considering it

• No... I use pot / kettle with a flat base

• What's a kettle?

• Total voters
I have and have my pickup tube at the top of the convex. The hot break settles down near the keg walls.

I think most people don't bother. They have their pickup tube closer to the kettle wall and they whirlpool to persuade the hot break and perhaps hops to cone up in the middle of the kettle.

As far as gas burner heating efficiency goes I'm prepared to believe it is more efficient however I don't think it is significant. Not compared to say a breeze that isn't shielded from blowing between the burner and the kettle base.

When I bashed it in it was hard work. If I was to make another keg kettle I'm not sure I'd do it again. I think both methods would have about the same wort loss to trub.

regards
Scott

The way i figure it is if it's gonna settle out in the kettle, then it will settle out in the fermentor as well, i always have between 10% - 30% of trub make it in. Not sure i'd want to bash my kettle :(

I bashed my kettle once, but then I was faced with a court order. Now I have to persuade it gently :blink:

sounds like a good idea, another thing to add to the list...when i can be arsed that is.

My kettle has a flat bottom, and drains from the centre. I was considering adjusting the bottom, but the element is fixed through the bottom and I didnt want to stuff up the water tight integrity of the base.

I have, however found that the coiled element seems to catch the majority of the hot break, and effectively filters what goes through the tap.

Still waiting to crack my first AG attempt to see if this process is valid or not.

Festa.

Back