Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Stumbled across this site a few month back, been homebrewing on & off for probably 15 years, started with kits went to kits & bits, stopped for a few years because of time problems or lack of, you know the deal, Brother got a keg setup & showed me how much time it saves, so that has sparked my interest again, Dont really know what I'm doing, but my beer tastes good to me, still doing kits occasionally but mostly do allgrain, usually just copy the allgrain recipies from this site & have'nt had a bad one yet, Cheers Kev

Hi All,
Live in Sydneys Eastern suburbs am 32, Married, 3 kids.
Got into brewing 3 or 4 years back when I was given a brew kit.
Am still on kit and kilo with extras...
Have my 15th brew in the fermenter right now, it's 50 litres.
Am drinking my 14th batch from a 23 litre keg.
Have kept records of all brews though only named one.
Gunbrew, Batch 13 was awesome, 4 kits, extra malt and dextrose finished up at 14% Alc, Made 50 litres just in time for the arrival of my keg system in March.
Mates and I got into it and I was not happy when it ran out.
Found the high alcohol meant you could not enjoy any more than about 3 beers without being a bit gone.
Batch 14 and 15 will only be 6%ers.
May try to replicate batch 13 some time though.
Have learnt plenty from this site already, good to hear how others are doing things and get advice.
Cheers.
Jason.
Welcome to the world of AHB. Any questions that need to be answered, just ask.
Cheers GB

Hi everyone, im from around Gippsland Vic
I have brewed a couple of ciders and my first beer (kit) over the last few months.

This is a great site, i have absorbed much information from here! So thanks for sharing.

My kit brew turned out pretty good, its quite drinkable, only at the certain temps.
I have since done much reading and experimenting in the kitchen and will be bottling my
second beer in the coming days (amber ale) 50/50 grain / extract - BIAB.
I am very happy with how the whole process went, thanks again to so much great info.

Next batch will be AG, i am planning on doing lots of small batches around 10L
so i can experiment with all the different styles of beer.

I dont drink much or often, but want to enjoy some really good beer when i do.

The endless possibilties with AG brewing regarding process and ingredients is very inspiring.
I think i would brew a few times a week if i could, as i really enjoy the whole process.
Have a good one
Steve

Hey guys, since I popped my posting cherry yesterday after 5 years of loyal membership, thought I should do the right thing and introduce myself.

Started brewing about 10 years ago when I was a povvo uni student, just the straight out coopers kits, focus was on making cheap beer. This lasted about 2 years, before a 3 year hiatus.

Got back into brewing, and talked out of going partial mash in favour of kits n' bits by the home brew shop. Cost less of a priority now, but didnt know how to make good beer. This period lasted about another year before another 3 year break.

So about September 2009 the bug bit again and I brewed one kit beer, but while this was conditioning in the bottle I bit the bullet and bought all the gear to go all grain. As it turned out, the (then untasted) kit beer was verging on undrinkable, but the all grain APA was absolutely gorgeous (thanks Chris from G&G!).

Since then, I've racked up 14 all grain beers, using a rubbermaid mash tun and a birko boiler. I even managed to bottle a batch just prior to driving my wife to the hospital for the birth of our daughter. Been visiting the site pretty regularly over the last year (forgot I had signed up 5 years ago), but tend to find with the depth of information here, I can pretty much always find someone who has troubleshot the same issue.

I guess based on that track history it wouldn't look likely that I would stick with it, but over that time the priority has shifted from making cheap to making good beer, and I would say with fair certainty that the bug has bitten for good this time!

Anyways, cheers guys and great site. :beer:

Welcome to the posting world. I haven't been a member long but owe a huge debt to the wisdom found within. Good on ya for getting back to it. I used to brew kits in High School for similar reasons, never knew there was another way. Recently got back on board like like yourself.
Did your LHBS sell grains? If not I can see why they might want you to stick to kits!
I've almost got my AG gear together, congrats on biting the bullet.
Happy brewing

Hi All.
Matt from Albury/Wodonga.
Only been Brewing for 2 months, have banged out a few quick brews for the Chrissy/New Years rush to see if I have all my processes right before I start getting serious about it.
So far:
#1 Australian Pale Ale
#2 Unreal Ale
#3 LawnMower Lager
#4 Strawberry Blonde
#5 LCPA clone from brewcraft
Next will be an AG - I know that this is going to be a big step, but from what I have read, if I can do an extract, I should be able to pull off an AG and it will be worth it.
Favourite beers would have to be LCPA, Fat Yak and when in the mood, a trip to Beechworth's Bridge Road for their Celtic Red or IPA!!
Hope to catch up with a few of you for a beer some day.
Cheers, Matt.

G'day Guys!
I'm a short time member, short time brewer. Got my first brew kit for Christmas from the old folks after I had the idea to start brewing, something to cure boredom and an ever-growing want (need) for beer during the Uni holidays. Also after spending a couple of months in Germany, I was interested in trying to recreate (as best I can) the beautiful German brews... Bayerisches Weibier :chug: Already bottled my first brew of Coopers Australian Pale Ale, smells and tasted the goods straight out of the fermenter. Next brew probably a toucan Coopers stout... :beerbang:

Howdy yall...new to the site.... Never done beer..been stilling hooch for about 4 years and wanted to give beer a try. Here in America beer is legal and distilling hooch is not so I figgered I would givera go. I know all the best brewers dont use kits but thats gonna be my first. Coopers is from Australia so at least I'm supporting your country. Since I started reading this site a few months ago I've really got the bug. Trying to learn as much as possible before starting.
Keep up the good work on the site for beginners.

I my name is chris from the hunter valley nsw been here for a while scouring the site to get ideas so i thought i may well join only been into home brewing for a little while watch my brother do it for a while using the kegs system so thought i would try it myself got all the gear now and the fridge and i just done my first brew today cant till its ready :icon_cheers:

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the forum and only and little less new to Australia. I was brewing back in NZ for a couple of years (nothing too fancy) and now I've got the foreseeable future in Adelaide I'm setting myself up a little better. Currently have a freezer and temp controller all sorted, just working on the kegs, fonts, etc.

I found this forum a little while back and it has been invaluable, so thank you to all the contributors! I'll be posting pics of my freezer do-up and temp controller build soon in case it helps someone in the future (I'm no builder or sparky though - just a 'tinkerer' as the Mrs says).

I look forward to catching up with some of the Adelaide contingent at some point.

Cheers,

ThatKiwiFella

Hi from the Gold Coast :D

I had brewed kits adding grains etc for about 5 years but have grown sick of bottling, so I picked up a fridge on ebay and bought my kegging gear - yee haa. Got a ripping deal on a near new fridge with all but one of the shelves broken, nobody wanted it. :lol:

I found this forum looking for info about kegs - so stoked to find such a great community!! :beer:

Hi from Melbourne. Long time beer drinker, but reasonably new to the brewing scene. Introduced to brewing by Brewnut (also on here) I have been tinkering away with the odd brew. Currently more of a haphazard brewer - ooh, what happens if I add this?? - but I am trying to take a leaf out of Brewnut's book and get a little more sensible.

I have two fermenters and occasionally have both running but they are empty at the moment while I figure out what to brew next. (A saison perhaps?)

Looking forward to catching up with some fellow brewers at the Local Taphouse Spectapular this weekend. (St Kilda)

Cheers

Alister
- aka The Wobbly Thong

I suppose I should stop lurking and say hi, so hello from Sydneys inner west.

Now I think of it, I have been brewing on and off for nearly 20 years. (started early)
I have a history of buying all the gear, getting a few brews down then having to move house over some stupendous distance and selling/giving my gear away. This is the 4th and hopefully final time.

I've always used kits, but now I have taken the time to read up and see what is really achievable I will be using extracts with a view to all-grain if it is feasable in the future.

Put down a trial brew on Sunday, using the spare bits and pieces I got when I bought some dudes 2nd hand gear.
1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1
200g Coopers Brewing Sugar
Saf S-04 Yeast

Seeing as this is the first time I have owned two fermenters, I will do a secondary and dry hop with 12g of Cascade.

Nothing special really and not what I aim to be brewing in the future, but I wanted to go through the steps and make sure all the gear was in good order before I went to town. (besides, that stuff would have gone to waste anyways)

I've already learned loads from the folks in here (thankyou) and I plan to stick about.

Good health to you all!

Hey all,

I am the Dark avenger, naturally gifted, practically flawless,

you can call me DA, Cause im the boss,

Mandu

I missed this post somehow so figured I should say Hi.

names Dave, grew up in Perth been in Melbourne for a couple of years now.

Started brewing a couple of months ago as I had a couple of friends doing it, plan was for cheap beer to be produced and consumed. Then I found this place and any other number of resources and I got hooked on the rest of it. Have my 3rd kit beer down(2 kits and a cider in the bottle already), first one with proper hops additions. Started buying gear for an AG setup over the last couple of days, brew fridge hopefully on the way and as long as I stick with it Im hoping to get a keg setup in the future.

I look forward to continuing down the rabbit hole that is brewing. And as the people above have said, thanks for all the help and tips and info on here, it has been a massive help and a massive drain on the wallet :icon_cheers:

G'day all.

I'm a home brewer currently residing on the sunny coast. My beer experience from high school onwards is probably similar to most. I drank commercial beer (mostly as an alcohol delivery system) and didn't realise there was a whole world of beers out there. I occasionaly slurged on good beer - ie euro lager. Then a few years ago, I moved to Canada and had the opportunity to travel through there and the States. All of a sudden, beer was something different. So many different offerings to choose from - Honey Lagers, Red Ales, Wheat Beers, IPA's, APA's etc and so on. Especially in the States. I's show up in a pub and have 10-15 taps to choose from. The spark was lit :icon_cheers: Upon returning to Australia, I coincedently received a coopers brewing kit as a christmas present. After doing 2 kits, I got bored (i'm a chef by trade, so kits wasn't really going to cut it - i want to cook!) and most of last year I brewed quite a few extract brews, all with the help, opinions and guidence from threads on this forum. I'm currently drinking my extract IPA, which is pretty damn good. Having recently moved up north, my brewing has been on the back burner, but have received a lauter tun and sparge vessel from G&G today. Along with my S/S cooking pot (mash tun) i'm about ready to make the move to AG. I'd like to thank EVERYONE on this forum for the info readily available.

Heres cheers everyone! :beer:

Dave

G'day all, i used to brew 10 odd years ago with a mate as bachelors lol. Have just got back into it and must say im obsessed!!. I've done mainly the regular kits, coopers LAGER, c/pale ale, c/draught/canadian blonde. Want get onto ag head on, theres so much info here it doesnt make it look anywhere near as scary as i thought. Im a QLDer that moved to melb 3 years ago chasing my current woman lol. Work at the shipyard here as storeman/ta. Must say this site is unreal!!, endless info and a good group of people.

Cheers Greg

G'day brewers

Been lurking here for quite a while so i thought i better say hi.

Started brewing around 5 years ago.. kit & kilo.
I was never happy with the beers i made, (total lack of knowledge) :rolleyes: and gave up brewing for a while until i came across this site!
Started reading everything i could and decided all grain brewing would be the go.
Gradually got all my equipment together and made my first all grain beer last may ( English Bitter )
I was blown away at the quality of beer you can make when you put your mind to it.
No looking back now i must say!

Thanks to everyone who has posted valuable info on this site, helped me immensly.

Cheers

Mike

G'Day folks,

Just a quick hello from Freo.

I've been brewing for 5/6 years...with a year or so off in between, mostly with kits and bits.

Seems to be a wealth of info on this site, so much so, I'm not quite sure where to start...

Ohh, and please excuse my inadequacies in posting...not 100% sure how all this quote and reply business is supposed to work just yet...

Happy brews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back