Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I'm another Canberra brewer. Started looking into home brew middle of last year, finally got some bits together in December!

I suffer from Celiac disease, so I'm attempting some gluten free homebrew. My first attempt, a lager, is 2 weeks in the bottle, and my second, a go at a darker ale, is currently fermenting, along with some apfelwein for SWMBO.

I'm using Briess sorghum syrup for the moment, I hope to at some point do some full grain brews, probably with millet or amaranth.

Hi all!

I'm another Canberra brewer. Started looking into home brew middle of last year, finally got some bits together in December!

I suffer from Celiac disease, so I'm attempting some gluten free homebrew. My first attempt, a lager, is 2 weeks in the bottle, and my second, a go at a darker ale, is currently fermenting, along with some apfelwein for SWMBO.

I'm using Briess sorghum syrup for the moment, I hope to at some point do some full grain brews, probably with millet or amaranth.

Welcome pWarren to AHB.

I think you will find that you are not alone here. A few members have put some real effort into brewing gluten free beer onthat immediately springs to mind is ThirstyBoy and his experiments. I think MilletMan is another? Perhaps PM him for details? I am sure he wouldn't mind.

Cheers

Chappo

I think MilletMan is another? Perhaps PM him for details? I am sure he wouldn't mind.

Yep, Millet Man is definately into his gluten free brewing. Started off as a home brewer and now brews commercial gluten free beer (O'Brien Brewery). Had a look around the brewery last year. There are some photos in the gallery.

Ah cool, O'Briens is the only readily available commercial GF beer around Canberra. I really like the Premium Lager, but it's hard to come at $70 for 24 * 330mL, so it's a once a year at christmas type thing for me. Not only is HomeBrewing cheaper, it's much more fun :)

I think I've read just about all the GF threads both here and at homebrewtalk (are we allowed to talk about other brewing forums??), and I've found MilletMan's PDFs from 2006, very useful guide! Looks like a bunch of time and effort went in to that, hope I'll get to that stage one day!

Ah cool, O'Briens is the only readily available commercial GF beer around Canberra. I really like the Premium Lager, but it's hard to come at $70 for 24 * 330mL, so it's a once a year at christmas type thing for me. Not only is HomeBrewing cheaper, it's much more fun :)

I think I've read just about all the GF threads both here and at homebrewtalk (are we allowed to talk about other brewing forums??), and I've found MilletMan's PDFs from 2006, very useful guide! Looks like a bunch of time and effort went in to that, hope I'll get to that stage one day!

Welcome man have fun and brew some great bee rno matter the forum you are into

Oh, I'm enjoying this forum the most, Litres, Kilograms and Celcius is much easier to deal with :)

Hi all,
Been a while since I logged on but i'm back into this computer and beer in the shed escape thing..
Good to see a few old brewersw still log on.
I am sitting here enjoying a season ale.
The beer is/was a wheat on 3068 and after primary, hit the keg with 1 of 2kg of blackberry's from
Healesville Market.
Used T2 tea bags to hold the smashed and frozen fruit pulp ( but ate 1 kg with ice cream :D )
and 3742 jug starter to get it over the line as I added a fair few extra points with the fruit.
Left for a week or so and then gel and 3'rd vessel.
The result is clear and fruity.
I am having trouble stopping at 2 or 3 or 4......

Cheers

Hi All,

I Just thought I would introduce myself and say a quick Howdy.

I had joined a little while ago but havent really posted.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I am pretty new to brewing and very green to all grain. I have just put opemed my first AG last night, A Belgian style brwn ale and it was great. I used a friends gear but am now getting together a basic AG set-up.

Anyway, I'll get back to the laundry/brewry and no doubt i'll be hassling you all for a bit of advice in near future.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Thought that I should also say hi. I have been lurking around the forums for a while and have decided that now is a good as time as ever to post.

I have been bewing for several years now, both all grain and extract and am attemping to grow my own hops at the moment. My beer kegs currently contain an australian pale ale and an irish red ale. I am currently experimenting with producing a grain brewed scotch whiskey for something different.

Cheers

TommyC

Gday everyone. I bought my 1st fermenter some time in the late 90's & have been brewing off & on (mainly off) since then with some hit & miss (mainly miss) results since then. I now realise that this was mainly due to reading the misleading instructions & using the yeast that comes with the kit. If only I'd never taken the plastic top off one of those cans then I could've been drinking better beer for the last dozen years.

I had a mate give me a 6 pack of his brews for christmas & that, combined with moving to a house where there's room for a brewery has got me motivated to start brewing again. After several phone calls/emails/SMSs I managed to recover enough of my gear to get started again without having to start from scratch, I've got 5 fermenters & about 20 dozen Coopers longnecks here but I'm buggered if I know how I ended up with 4 bottling valves, 2 sugar scoops & a whole heap of other equipment that I don't remember having seen outside of the last month.

I'm currently at the 4th residence that I've brewed at but the 1st one where I've had internet & a mate who knows more about brewing than I do. It seems at the moment that those 2 things are about as important as sanitisation & temperature control.

I'm looking to get a fermenting fridge within the next month because I'm currently keeping several Adelaide ice factories in business & my fermenters are still at 26 Soon after that I'd like to get a kegging fridge because I've learnt over the years that I enjoy emptying bottles more than I enjoy filling them up. Having said that, I'm sure no-rinse sanitiser has saved many home brewer from an early grave. Ultimately I'd like to go AG but that's several months & several hundred dollars away.

Happy brewing to all.

Hatchy

Hey everyone,

Well yes another lurker here, Ive been brewing 4 over 10 years now but only AG 4 12 months I must say without these forums id still be chasing my tail. Now i grow my own hops run a herms (talk about trying to keep up with the Joneses :lol: ) and a fermenting fridge. Love all things beer and would be happy if I could brew all day every day. Keep up the good work AHB.

Luke

Gday all,

I'm Ralphi, first year uni student, haven't started hombrewing yet but i'm quite keen. I'm living down in melbourne and love my beer but am also interested in brewing other stuff such as cider, ginger beer and lemonade. This site's been handy answering a few of my questions so far and I can tell i'll be back here once i've done at least one brew.

Anyway, nice to meet you
Ralphi

Hi All,

Thought I would introduce myself here. I have been brewing for a few years started out with kits them moved on to Meads and Country fruit wines. Yesterday I made my first AG, a Scottish Heavy recipe taken from "The complete guide to beer and brewing by Laurie Strachan" This Forum has been a great source of information and inspiration to get me started. I learnt a lot from the process and now have a few improvements to make to my rig to make things easier.

Edit: I live in northern Tasmania

Cheers,

I learnt a lot from the process and now have a few improvements to make to my rig to make things easier.

Welcome, one point to note from your message above, those "few improvements" will never go away, you will fix those ones and always find something else to improve/upgrade etc! Have fun doing it!
On a side note to those new here if you put your locality down it well help with future conversations/questions and even for some of those dreaded "beer get togethers" :icon_cheers:

Gday all

My name is Marcus and I'm completely new to actually brewing beer. I have been drinking my Grandad's award winning home brew for years and am finally at the stage where I can afford some time to doing it myself. I'm currently in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and have started my first brew. It's a Coopers Real Ale kit and it's just about ready to bottle. I'll be back in Australia again hopefully late in the year. I am from Brisbane and will hopefully be able to learn from the best how to brew from scratch when I return home.

Look forward to taking the ride down the home brew highway and all it has to offer.

Gday all

My name is Marcus and I'm completely new to actually brewing beer. I have been drinking my Grandad's award winning home brew for years and am finally at the stage where I can afford some time to doing it myself. I'm currently in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and have started my first brew. It's a Coopers Real Ale kit and it's just about ready to bottle. I'll be back in Australia again hopefully late in the year. I am from Brisbane and will hopefully be able to learn from the best how to brew from scratch when I return home.

Look forward to taking the ride down the home brew highway and all it has to offer.

Welcome to the forum Marcus. Queensland has quite a vibrant brewing community, so you'll be in good hands when you get back to AU. Check out http://www.babbrewers.com for a great club that has quite a few All-Grain (AG) brewers that will steer you down the right track.

Welcome to the forum Marcus. Queensland has quite a vibrant brewing community, so you'll be in good hands when you get back to AU. Check out http://www.babbrewers.com for a great club that has quite a few All-Grain (AG) brewers that will steer you down the right track.

Thanks Bonj

That's the club my grandfather is a member of. He was also a Brewmaster from 84-85 according to their site. Laurie Brace is his name. Looks like I will be in good hands. Thanks!

Marcus

Hi all - First post so hello! I am enjoying reading what the community has to say and the helpfulness of the brewers on this forum!

I am helping a friend who has just got it into his head to start brewing beer, as he has just bought his own house, and fancies setting up for homebrew.

I have made up about 10 Kit brews in my time, all bottled, and *started* to gain some sort of 'method' for producing a drinkable beer, so he's asked me for some pointers.

I havent brewed in about 2 years due to moving house frequently, and my belongings scattered in various sheds and peoples houses all over South Australia so when I went for the hunt for my fermenters and equipment no luck. I rang all of my mates who I may have lent them to nothing. They had disappeared into the Adelaide community somewhere. Well lucky my old man had some black plastic tubs that we could brew in complete with a 1 inch rubber bung with a hole in it in the lid, for the airlock to sit in. Inside was nice and smooth, tap was removable and easy to clean, even had a stick-on thermometer on the side! Were in business!

I went to his house last week to put on his very first Brew, which turned out to be a Coopers ginger beer. OK something where I can show him the basic method of cleaning, sterilising, fermenting and bottling.

Put it on last week stopped fermenting in about 5 days, bottled after 8.

I was surprised at how keen he was when I rocked up last night he had washed, cleaned, rinsed, and sanitised 60 screw top stubbies (cringe) to bottle it into!

So we bottled it up, put them all in his esky to carbonate, and being ginger beer I rekon they should be ready to drink by easter, if they seal properly and dont explode, blowing his esky to smithereens!

Anyway thought Id let you know what Im up to being my first post and all.

Cheers -

Jack

Hi all - First post so hello!

Cheers -

Jack

Welcome to AHB Jack. You sound like you fit right in here.

Regardless of what other brewers say I am always right and I occasionally know what I am doing! :lol:

Anyway ask heaps of questions if you feel you need to as the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Thanks mate - look forward to getting the pointers I need from a well practiced community of brewers!

I am looking at kegging (arent we all) after bottling the 60 or so stubbies last night with my mate..

My old man has just started kegging - and after my reading the Ross? method of carbonation, printed out the thread and helped him carbonate his 2nd stout that he had kegged on the weekend. (his first one failed and he put the project on the backburner). He SMS'd me last night and said he was enjoying a few butchers of perfectly carbonated beer! I was chuffed! Wanted to drive back the 3 hours and have a taste myself.

Just sourcing a fridge today for a start... and build around that.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back