Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'Day all,
My name is Glenn i am the brewer at Hargreaves Hill Brewery in Beautiful Victoria. I have been looking at this site for quite a while ( usually once a month or so) as it can be good to see and hear what is happening and what people think things about various brewing topics.

Cheers

G'day Glenn, welcome to the forum.
Good to see you up and running after the fires.

Thanks Rob
It is definately more fun brewing in your own brewery instead of driving aroung using other peoples equipment

Evening people, My name is Glen and i live in good old tassie. I have recently started brewing again(kit brews) as i have a kiddie on the way and thought if i stock up now it might be a good way to save a few coin in the future when SWMBO stops working. Anyway, after doing a few brews i remembered why i stopped doing it in the first place, washing bottles. I am now using the coopers PET bottles as all the glass bottles i had are now gone. The brew shop that i go to has recently got in some keg kits, so with a bit of convincing to the wife i am now going to start kegging and do away with most of the bottles.

Most things about kegging i have been reading on this site but i'm sure i will run into some issues when the time comes to start, will deal with them later.

One question i do have at the moment is about cubes, if i'm thinking right from what i have found through searches cubes can be used to store a brew until i am ready to bottle/keg it. Am i right or wrong? If i'm right can i use this method for kit brews as i am not in a position yet ( although i would like to start) to start bre4wing from scratch.

Anywho i will keep reading through some posst as it is giving me some great ideas and motovation to keep brewing and improve my man room downstairs, as the wife calls it.

Bottoms up
Glen

Welcome Glen, the madness has just began.

Evening people, My name is Glen and i live in good old tassie. I have recently started brewing again(kit brews) as i have a kiddie on the way and thought if i stock up now it might be a good way to save a few coin in the future when SWMBO stops working. Anyway, after doing a few brews i remembered why i stopped doing it in the first place, washing bottles. I am now using the coopers PET bottles as all the glass bottles i had are now gone. The brew shop that i go to has recently got in some keg kits, so with a bit of convincing to the wife i am now going to start kegging and do away with most of the bottles.

Most things about kegging i have been reading on this site but i'm sure i will run into some issues when the time comes to start, will deal with them later.

One question i do have at the moment is about cubes, if i'm thinking right from what i have found through searches cubes can be used to store a brew until i am ready to bottle/keg it. Am i right or wrong? If i'm right can i use this method for kit brews as i am not in a position yet ( although i would like to start) to start bre4wing from scratch.

Anywho i will keep reading through some posst as it is giving me some great ideas and motovation to keep brewing and improve my man room downstairs, as the wife calls it.

Bottoms up
Glen

Hi Glen,

First welcome to this great big bucket of knowledge that is AHB, and second congrats on your soon to be new arrival. The cube reference you have read about all over the site, and the storage of them, relates to brewers that are brewing all grain or partials and who are boiling the whole batch and then running that hot wort into a cube at a temperature high enough to pasteurise the cube. This allows unfermented wort to be kept until the brewer is ready to ferment it. If you are only brewing kits & bits, then using cubes isn't really going to work, unless you are going to boil the whole batch for 10 mins + and then run it into a cube, although I'm not sure if this may play havoc with the kit formulations and bitterness etc... (I'll let someone with way more kit experence address that though... :p)

If you plan on fermenting and storing, that is easy enough to do in a keg. Just ferment, keg and add dextrose like you normally would for bottling and sit it away to carbonate and condition. Warning though, this is a good way to start collecting way too many kegs.....

Cheers,

Schooey

Warning though, this is a good way to start collecting way too many kegs.....

Cheers,

Schooey

And the problem is????? :p

Well the new/old fridge has been brought aswell as 2 newish 19L kegs with all the bits and pieces.

Now i just happen to have a cider that is very close to going in to bottles but has just been sitting there waiting for me to do it. So can i just put this in the keg instead and force carb it? If so i best be going out and getting me some co2. :icon_cheers:

Glen

Yes you can put cider in a keg and force carb.

So grab your self some co2 and start kegging.

Cheers
DJ

Done, just cleaning my gear and drilling holes in the fridge. Anyone know were i could get a check valve from, 5mm i think, Bunnings maybe.

Enough of this chitchat i better get busy.

Thanks guys for the answers so far and i'm sure i will have more as i go along.

:icon_cheers:
Glen

P.S does it matter what hose i buy incase i need some more in a hurry????

Hi everyone. My name's Patrick and I just started brewing using the BIAB method. I am about to bottle my first batch and I am brewing another on this weekend. I live in Auckland, NZ.

Cheers!

I guess I should probably introduce myself then.

My name is Dave and I'm a scientist (microbiology) from Melbourne. I make mead, beer and cider because it tastes great and is microbiology at home! :)

I've almost finished getting the gear together to (finally!) make the jump to all-grain and am really looking forward to getting stuck into a bit of brewing biochemistry.

Welcome to AHB Tele29 and Synthetase (sounds like some funky microbe)

Glad you could join us. All here are pretty friendly and willing to help with any questions you may have just be prepared for numerous opinions and points of view. Always try to search the forum first but if in doubt just post your question and ignore the cries of "Search the database".

If in doubt still, just ask me as I'm ALWAYS right and everyone else are brew-tards. :p

Happy brewing

Chappo

Welcome to AHB Tele29 and Synthetase (sounds like some funky microbe)

It does :)

It's actually a class of enzymes that will only synthesise their end products with the help of ATP.

Hi All! I am Wai and I'm in Townsville Queensland.

Just about to get into the microbrewery business here by buying Brew By U. Don't really know that much about the business apart from the little that I have read on these forums, and going there to the microbrewery and making tasty cheap preservative free beer! Looking forward to getting business working, with your help hopefully :D

Can't wait to ask heaps of questions!

Hi All! I am Wai and I'm in Townsville Queensland.

Just about to get into the microbrewery business here by buying Brew By U. Don't really know that much about the business apart from the little that I have read on these forums, and going there to the microbrewery and making tasty cheap preservative free beer! Looking forward to getting business working, with your help hopefully :D

Can't wait to ask heaps of questions!

Now that's what I call a learning curve! Temperature control is half the battle, especially in Townsville and coming into the summer, so your operation should be attractive to beginning home brewers who would be seriously struggling to make a decent drop at home at the moment without investing in fridges, temp mates etc etc.

Welcome to the forum, although if posting specifically to promote your business you might want to put any posts in the Retailers section. However many HB retailers and microbrewery operators are members of this forum and posting about brewing in general is perfectly fine :)

Hope none of your brews turn out with a Beasty Nose :lol:

Hey there,

I'm a Sydney Inner Wester. I only have a handful of brews with my Coopers kit under my belt but busy reading and enjoying this site a ton. Currently fermenting in my garage which is a constant temp but a little warm during summer so looking for a fridge as a next step.

I've been divorced for a couple of years, so there's no WAF for any of my hobbies :)

Hoping to meet some Sydney brewers soon.

Enjoy your boxing day...brew and cricket :D Christmas day is for the kids, boxing day is for the adults when the kids are busy playing with their new stuff :p .

Cheers,
Jason

Aww geez... I got started on here, what, a year or two ago, and I guess it was a bit of a false start...

Brewed a batch from a coopers kit, didn't taste real good, life got in the way, moved a couple of times and the gear got mothballed.

Well I'm back now. I've settled down in sunny Botany, I've got a bit more gear (helloooo chest freezer) and I'm going to get back in the game with a couple of kit brews (heading out to pick up a 3kg ESB bavarian lager in the next couple of days hopefully) before getting into BIAB...

Wish me luck, if for no other reason than I'm trying REALLY hard to convince myself not to get a keg setup off the bat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back