Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well welcome aboard Jasonmac, MarkMc and SeanAU. You will learn a lot here if you keep searching the forums and reading. Homebrewing can easily become a great obsession hobby.

Temp control as Mark and Jason have mentioned is the easiest step in improving your beer, search the articles section. SeanAU, you know you want that keg setup, it's far better than bottling.

Cheers
Gavo.

G'day all,

Greetings from a humid Sydney. I signed up today after stumbling across the board via the Whirlpool forums. Probably like so many new members here I'm midway through my very first batch courtesy of the Kmart Coopers kit, which itself is courtesy of Santa Claus (big thanks to my better half). I'm really enjoying starting my home brew adventures - I work on a computer all day so its great to have a hand in actually making something I'd normally buy over the counter at a shop. I'm looking forward to making my share of mistakes and swapping notes and bottles with a few friends who have started brewing recently themselves.

I came here in search of a few answers as I was initially panicky about my batch's hydrometer reading - 7 days in and its sitting on 1.019, possibly due to a few initial days of 28 degree temps then a few cooler ones at 24 - but reading some posts here has chilled me out a bit. I'll give it a few more days before bottling and won't have too higher expectations. I'm anticipating lager somewhat fruity and watery. And next time onwards and upwards! In the meantime I'm hunting down a broken bar fridge..

Its nice to be here and I hope I can impose some stupid questions on you guys later on.

G'day all,

Greetings from a humid Sydney. I signed up today after stumbling across the board via the Whirlpool forums. Probably like so many new members here I'm midway through my very first batch courtesy of the Kmart Coopers kit, which itself is courtesy of Santa Claus (big thanks to my better half). I'm really enjoying starting my home brew adventures - I work on a computer all day so its great to have a hand in actually making something I'd normally buy over the counter at a shop. I'm looking forward to making my share of mistakes and swapping notes and bottles with a few friends who have started brewing recently themselves.

I came here in search of a few answers as I was initially panicky about my batch's hydrometer reading - 7 days in and its sitting on 1.019, possibly due to a few initial days of 28 degree temps then a few cooler ones at 24 - but reading some posts here has chilled me out a bit. I'll give it a few more days before bottling and won't have too higher expectations. I'm anticipating lager somewhat fruity and watery. And next time onwards and upwards! In the meantime I'm hunting down a broken bar fridge..

Its nice to be here and I hope I can impose some stupid questions on you guys later on.

Hi and Welcome

You're in the same boat as me. First brew also got "stuck" I had similar high temps. I was advised a few days back to give it a gentle swirl a few times a day to help the yeast. I manage to get it down over the next 4 days, and Bottled it yesterday.

Good Luck.

Mark

Hi all. I have been lurking for about 2 years now as you can see by my join date and only 3 posts to my name.
With the great help of many of you on the site unknowingly answering all my questions with a quick search of the forum, I have brewed about 30 batches of extract beer. Many mistakes have been made. Did things that seemed clever at the time and found out they were not.
The funny thing is that i would often do a quick search after making a mistake and find out someone else had made the same mistake and there was a solution on the forum!

With all your great help I have built my first all grain system.

It is a two tier with a march pump and I cant wait to get my first brew out of it.

I did a few tests and all I still need to do is make up a sparge arm, finish the chiller and put a purge valve on the pump.

All grain here I come!!

The complete setup.

18052_264165235521_614000521_4433696_401269_n.jpg

I wont have a power board directly under the HLT output when I brew of course.

Valves and pump. The bottom three are Filtered Water, Iced Water and Waste out.
The filtered one goes through a carbon filter and the iced one goes through a copper coil in an esky which I will fill with ice a little while into chilling my wort.
18052_264165245521_614000521_4433697_2035200_n.jpg

Mash tun

18052_264165275521_614000521_4433703_6425065_n.jpg

Burner

18052_264165250521_614000521_4433698_7778113_n.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Hi and Welcome

You're in the same boat as me. First brew also got "stuck" I had similar high temps. I was advised a few days back to give it a gentle swirl a few times a day to help the yeast. I manage to get it down over the next 4 days, and Bottled it yesterday.

Good Luck.

Mark

Hi Mark, I live in the same area as you. Having all the same experiences most new brewers seem to have, plenty to learn & have fun with here.

Cheers
Mick

Now that's what I call lurking :lol:

Welcome to the dark side :)

On the forum we are probably guilty of thinking that we are the Beer Gods and everyone else out there is a peasant making kit ales in a plastic garbage bin. However when I go to Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers meetings, it's quite common for a brand new member to turn up - we ask them to announce a few words about themselves during the 'business' phase of the meeting, and it's incredible how often you hear:

"Oh, been brewing for a few years.. all grain... mostly Belgians and a few Dunkels............. got a HERMS system on the go................."

:party:

Now that's what I call lurking :lol:

Welcome to the dark side :)

On the forum we are probably guilty of thinking that we are the Beer Gods and everyone else out there is a peasant making kit ales in a plastic garbage bin. However when I go to Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers meetings, it's quite common for a brand new member to turn up - we ask them to announce a few words about themselves during the 'business' phase of the meeting, and it's incredible how often you hear:

"Oh, been brewing for a few years.. all grain... mostly Belgians and a few Dunkels............. got a HERMS system on the go................."

:party:

Sorry, yeah, I have been lurking a bit. Still trying to get my head around some stuff & now the new year is upon us, might get some time to get more involved & hook up with BABBS.

Just an amateur K&K dude here with a few kegs & some fridges that the minister for finance is unsure about :beer:

Hi all

Just joined the forum, I have a new brewing setup, it's been a few years since I have brewed and want to set myself up properly this time. What I am after is a temp controller to make a fermentation fridge. I want one that will automatically control the fridge (cooling) and a heat source, does anyone know where I might find one or of a kit I can make up?

Hi,

I too have been lurking around on here for a few months. Know a couple of the members on here in person and they put me onto this site. I've learned a lot from the short time on here. Probably just enough to be dangerous to my beers :D . Been doing K&K followed by extract and now BIAB AG beers for around a year now (also brewed K&K about 10 years ago whilst at uni).

For the previous post try: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592

I have the FridgeMate which can control a single source (heat/cool) but not both at the same time, which I believe the TempMate is capable.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi all

Just joined the forum, I have a new brewing setup, it's been a few years since I have brewed and want to set myself up properly this time. What I am after is a temp controller to make a fermentation fridge. I want one that will automatically control the fridge (cooling) and a heat source, does anyone know where I might find one or of a kit I can make up?

Hi and welcome, click on the site sponsor adds above, you probably need a TempMate Controller (for heat and cool).

Cheers,

Screwy

Hi,

I too have been lurking around on here for a few months. Know a couple of the members on here in person and they put me onto this site. I've learned a lot from the short time on here. Probably just enough to be dangerous to my beers :D . Been doing K&K followed by extract and now BIAB AG beers for around a year now (also brewed K&K about 10 years ago whilst at uni).

For the previous post try: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592

I have the FridgeMate which can control a single source (heat/cool) but not both at the same time, which I believe the TempMate is capable.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi and welcome, click on the site sponsor adds above, you probably need a TempMate Controller (for heat and cool).

Cheers,

Screwy

Thanks guys, I have followed your advice and also called craftbrewer to check that it isn't too complex for me to setup, the TempMate is exactly what I am after. I am placing my order now.

Welcome Dan and zj8 to AHB.

Seriously what kind of nick is "zj8" :huh: . What do people call you if you ever go to AHB gathering?

Look I'll call you Jizzum as it has a nice ring to it, no?

Any ask good questions often and you'll be rewarded but make sure you do a little search first ;)

Cheers

Chappo

edit speelinkz

Welcome Dan and zj8 to AHB.

Seriously what kind of nick is "zj8" :huh: . What do people call you if you ever go to AHB gathering?

Look I'll call you Jizzum as it has a nice ring to it, no?

Any ask good questions often and you'll be rewarded but make sure you do a little search first ;)

Cheers

Chappo

edit speelinkz

You must be pissed surely

Nope. Stone cold motherlessly sober ;)

Oh now here's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black! :lol:

I'm not pissed, I'm just under the affluence of incohol, offisher.

Haha, thats a classic. Havent seen that pic for a while :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back