Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum,

How are well all?

This place is a gold mine, enlighten me haha.

Welcome TrueBlueBrew to AHB. Enjoy all things beery.

Thanks mate - look forward to getting the pointers I need from a well practiced community of brewers!

I am looking at kegging (arent we all) after bottling the 60 or so stubbies last night with my mate..

My old man has just started kegging - and after my reading the Ross? method of carbonation, printed out the thread and helped him carbonate his 2nd stout that he had kegged on the weekend. (his first one failed and he put the project on the backburner). He SMS'd me last night and said he was enjoying a few butchers of perfectly carbonated beer! I was chuffed! Wanted to drive back the 3 hours and have a taste myself.

Just sourcing a fridge today for a start... and build around that.

Cheers

Yep that's your best bet. Temperature control over the fermentation is the key to good brews when you kick off. Kegging can follow later when your happy with your brews.

Good Luck and stay in touch plenty of great blokes here and in Adelaide.

Drop into BeerBelly and make yourself known to Wayne. Give the bugger a kiss and tell him it's from Chappo :lol:

Cheers

Chap Chap

4/12 McGowan Street
Pooraka
South Australia 5095

ph: (08) 7225 4555

Remember to give Wayne a kiss from Chappo :)

OK! will definately head there soon! might tie it in with a visit to good old swiftflyte, but that's for another forum! Looks great cheers!

I may have to ask wayne first.. haha

Wayne & Amanda are top quality. My beer has improved massively from going to beerbelly instead of the HBS I used to go to. Unlike other shops they're more interested in helping you to make better beer than they are in selling you overpriced rubbish that you don't need.

Gday All
Bout time I introduced myself rather than constant lurking behaviour ;)

Name is Daniel, from Darwin, have been brew assistant for approx 2 years now to a mate also in Darwin (fleshy on this forum). Have never done a two (toucan) can brew, nor have I dipped a sock into BIAB methods either. My intro to brewing has been All Grain all the way.
Prefer the German style beers so far, but I am partial to a good Irish Red Ale, and i can see many others here are too.
Currently have a Bohemian Pilsener at the two week fermentation mark (all temp controlled fridges up here) that I am keen to get into a small keg and several bottles. Have a mongrel black stout hybrid in the kegged in the conditioning fridge yet to be gassed up, and plans for a "Standard" bitter at next weekends brew (replenish some stocks of "standard" beer)

This forum and all its contributors have been a wealth of information for me to mine, as well as the sponsors links and in particular Craft Brewer, legendary team.

Ill try not to clog the forum with to many noob questions, but there is just so much to learn and know to create a great beer.

D

G'day all,
Thought i better do the intro thing as I have just (quite literally minutes ago) set my first ever home brew, a Coopers Draught kit beer.
Touch wood, it turns out ok, but I'm almost confident it will, having read quite a bit of great information on this site as a 'guest'
Im in Brisbane and I grow my own 'halucinagenic' :p Habenero chillies I'd love to try using in a Ginger beer next if all goes well with this first beer.

Cheers :D

Hey Everyone

Been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now, so thought it's about time I introduced myself.

Been brewing a couple of months, and now then I am branching out from standard kit and kilo I'm finding the info on this site really good. Love the opinionated free and fair exchanges of ideas :lol: .

I'm an Aussie with an Irish accent living amongst Kiwis at the minute, and loving this homebrew thing.

Currently have a couple of lagers fermenting (Continental and a Mexican style), and a few ales conditioning (Irish Red and a Grumpy's style Boston Cream) and I'm running out of currently drinkable stuff (IPA, Mexican Lager and a GB for the missus).

Hi everyone,
My name is Guilherme and I'm a homebrewer from Brazil.
guihop: gui from guilherme and hop from hop =)
I'm 18 and I've been brewing since I was 16-17
all my batches are full grain
and I study architecture now.

I registered here to get some information about hop growin and maybe get some rhizomes. in my country there are no rhizomes...

Hey All,

Lurked for a couple of weeks so better throw in the intro.

Ive been brewing since mid 90's, initially motivated by the very good value that is a Kit and Kilo of Coopers Draught or similiar and black and gold caster sugar or brown sugar or what ever was on special at woolies.
Given the excellent value of home brewing while I was at Uni it was easy to ignore the vaguely doggy flavour (especially as growing up I cut my teeth on Emu Export) :)

I have worn out several fermenters over the years since with a few breaks in activity caused by moving/kids etc but over the years brewing has been consistantly extract with some variation using dex or the different brew blend products with which i have never really been upset with the resulting beer produced.
I have had some very good honey ginger beer brews that have matured nicely in the bottle with very drinkable results, just seems to take time to properly bottle condition and either shorting the mix in the fermenter by a few litres or using two tins instead of one

Recently I have just bottled my first all malt IPA (actually my first IPA), adding a kilo of LDME to the thomas coopers ipa LME plus pride of ringwood teabag added to fermenter. Still experimenting with hops though, trying to feel my way.
Next brew to go into the fermenter is Muntons Gold Smugglers Ale which will be my first toucan! I was wondering about whether to add additional hops but I think i just want to see what it is like before I go playing around.
I think down the track I will have a crack at the all grain idea to see what all the fuss is about! but at the moment chucking a tin of extract into the fermenter really is too simple!

Living down in Albany WA I think the climate would be ok for growing hops but yet to find someone in WA to score a rhizome off.

Well the post is a bit all over the place but this excellent forum does tend to stimulate the thought process and I am looking forward to fine tuning and making excellent Home Brew

Cheers
Stinger

Howdy...

Like many others, long time guest'er, first time post'er !

First up need to say thx for the wealth of info on the site... it's been great trawling through to get the info I needed for my first K&K in the fermenter as we speak. Can't wait to get that one bottled and the fermenter clean for the next batch !

Living in north-west Melbourne, so loving the (up to recently) 20 degree days for brewing !!

Grew up in south west England on you-name-it-home-brew.... Ale, Lager, Rice Whiskey, Elderberry Wine the lot.... and of course Scrumpy ! <Now there's an idea for the next batch........> :unsure:

Cheers !!
:icon_chickcheers:

Hey AussieHomeBrewers,

I've been loitering here for a few weeks now it's probably time I say hello. Hello! I've been brewing with kits and kegging on and off for about 10 years. mainly pilsners in summer and Kilkenny rip offs in winter. I'm on an off at the moment as we are in the process of renovating. I've set myself a goal to start brewing from grain before the end of the year or early next? It's something I've wanted to do for years, but the wife, time, cost to set up, as well as having the space have all been obstacles. All those issues are now being addressed.

Anyway.... I live in Brisbane. I'll be joining the BABBs when I get my arse into gear. I hope to meet a few of you fine folk in time.

Cheers
Moz

Hey AussieHomeBrewers,

I've been loitering here for a few weeks now it's probably time I say hello. Hello! I've been brewing with kits and kegging on and off for about 10 years. mainly pilsners in summer and Kilkenny rip offs in winter. I'm on an off at the moment as we are in the process of renovating. I've set myself a goal to start brewing from grain before the end of the year or early next? It's something I've wanted to do for years, but the wife, time, cost to set up, as well as having the space have all been obstacles. All those issues are now being addressed.

Anyway.... I live in Brisbane. I'll be joining the BABBs when I get my arse into gear. I hope to meet a few of you fine folk in time.

Cheers
Moz
Welcome Moz! The fine fellows at BABBs will help you get your AG goal accomplished in no time!

Good day. Or maybe good yesterday would be more accurate.

An American here wanting to steal the secrets on how to brew something close to Cooper's Sparkling Ale which I enjoy, but at $12.00USD per 6 pack is a bit expensive to enjoy on a regular basis.

I live on Maui, just started all-grain brewing and have been brewing with extract for about 3 years.

A generous Australian gave me his recipe, but I lost my printout with the recent remodel of my brewshed.

Is Australian pilsner malt similar to German and/or American pilsner malt?

Is Cooper's yeast sold from commercial sources, or one must raise it from the dregs? (Found reference to WLP009 and WLP023 - never mind)

I recently added a sink and water filters out there and the Mrs. has her kitchen back and I want to give CSA a try.

I'll re-listen to the Jamil Show, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Aloha, Bill

Hi Bill, Coopers Sparkling Ale in Australia is around $14 USD :eek:: and how about paying even more for a six pack of Bud or Miller - that's one reason why home brewing is such a growth industry here.

For the malt, I reckon a 2 row American ale malt similar to what you use in APAs or American Ambers would be quite acceptable. The hops - Pride of Ringwood - are available from sponsors at the top of the page, and I know that Craftbrewer (no affiliation) sell a fair amount into the USA - I don't think the postage would be too savage. The yeast in the bottles is the same as the yeast used for primary fermentation, so it's best to culture it up.

One thing we both have in common is that we are at the extreme end of the supply chain from Coopers, I'm in Queensland and if Coopers were in, say St Louis then I'd be living somewhere in Maine / Southern Canada. Thus the yeast can be a bit sluggish to start if your batch is a bit old, and I would definitely use a whole six pack to collect the dregs, pour carefully and just drink the clear beer and get through the pack in one sitting. A bummer I know but you have to suffer for your art :lol:

Plenty of information on Coopers CSA styles on the forum here, I'd recommend AndrewQLD's recipe in the database.
Get your Imperial to Metric calculator out :rolleyes:

Cheers
Michael
:icon_cheers:

BC,
Good to see our brothers from the BNArmy dropping in to the barricks over here...

Just to add to Bribie's good info, Either Wyeast or White labs have a seasonal release of Australian Ale yeast (which I would assume this would be the coopers strain), so you can get it commercially as well.

Hi all.

Loitered for a while, think I may have even posted in this thread previously... Got my first home brew starter kit a few years ago and did a couple of kit & kilo ginger beers, the first of which didn't ferment at all. They turned out ok, but a little to "beery" when I was after something more like bundaberg but at about 4-5%. After that did a couple of brews at a U-Brew-It which were pretty good. Then decided to go back to home brew, the first of which was another kit & kilo that got some kind of infection and tasted awful and so went down the sink. Next was a fresh wort Amarillo Pale kit, which has been extremely drinkable.
I had an issue in that fermenting in my house is hard as the temperature fluctuate so much (up to 35deg in summer). The Amarillo I did in a 100 can cooler with freezer bricks in our laundry (wife wasn't overly impressed by this). So decided I needed a better fermenting place. I came across a couple of plans for a "Fermenterator" made with extruded foam (don't have the cash to buy/run a dedicated fermenting fridge) and decided to build something based on that. Heat pad for warming ales in winter and frozen bottles + fan for cooling in summer or possibly largers in winter.
fermenterator1.jpg fermenterator3.jpg Fermenterator_pt3_1.jpg Fermenterator_pt3_3.jpg fermenterator_final4.jpg fermenterator_final1.jpg
Just out of the fermenterator is another fresh wort kit, but this time a Norwest Pale Ale, which is going to be bottled tomorrow in some Grolsh bottles I scored of a fellow AHB person. I'm looking forward to building up to some partial mash's in the future.

Cheers Mike.

Attachments

• Fermenterator2_2.jpg
    Fermenterator2_2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 39
Plenty of information on Coopers CSA styles on the forum here, I'd recommend AndrewQLD's recipe in the database.
Get your Imperial to Metric calculator out :rolleyes:
Cheers
Michael
:icon_cheers:

Wonderful - thanks for the starting point - that is what I was after - thank you.

I understand almost everything in this recipe and just need to source the hops and yeast to make.

The reference to a "dark crystal" would that be a 40L or 120L crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back