Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers man

Trying to avoid as many first time mistakes as possible

G'day,

Ryan from Melbourne here.

Beer nerd, gaming nerd, cricket nerd, photography nerd, L plate homebrew nerd!

Just thought I'd say hi.

I've got a cherry wheat and big golden ale on the go at the moment, some St Peters Ruby Red kit ale in bottle, and some Brewcraft Razorback w/some of the Ruby Red in it for lols in bottle.

I've literally tried 1000s of beers - and written tasting notes on 100s of them, largely tired of commercial beer and had enough of the my hop is bigger than your hop battle that seems to have taken over the Aus. craft scene of late, so I'm having a go at brewing some slightly odd things for my own amusement.

Cherry wheat was the girlfriend's idea, and the big golden ale was trying loosely to emulate what I believe was one of the best macro beers ever produced in Australia - circa 2000 Tooheys Pils.
It's not even close to what I hoped, but I'm not complaining.

Trying to source a 50 litre Australian Whisky cask and a 50 litre ex-Port cask at the moment for some secondary / hand pulled fun.

I'd like to try a big stout in the whisky cask and porter - funnily enough in the port cask. Ruby Porter anyone?

Hello All,

Been reading these forums for a short time and really enjoy seeing what others have been up too!

I started with Spirits and then ventured into Beer, I've been doing Extracts and now Partials.
Have a Honey Wheat Beer and Pale Ale on at the moment.

I've been reading and looking at the members Keezer pictures and setups, some are just amazing, speaking with Ross from Craftbrewer.com.au in relation to a Font setup.

So I thought I'd formally introduce myself!
Thinking I might do a thread on the Keezer setup I will be building, if anyone is intrested keep your eye out!

Otherwise great forms fellas, looking forward to chatting.

Hey folks

Been browsing these boards a bit and I hope to get a little more engaged. I'm fairly new to brewing, I've done 1 kit and 3 AG BIABs.

The kit was awful, and it was boring as well. I like to cook, so not using fresh ingredients isn't appealing to me, but it was a good way to get a handle on the equipment.

I made loads of mistakes with my first AG, but it's getting more drinkable with age. I just bottled my second, it's an oatmeal porter. The un-carbed beer tastes really great so I'm pretty excited to try it in a few weeks. I also have an IPA in the fermenter. I got great efficiency with some crude bucket sparging and I think it's going to be a really nice clean tasty beer. Looking at doing a few SMaSH beers in a row to get a feel for different grains and yeast.

I started brewing because I love beer and cooking and figured it would be fun to combine the two (it is).

I also have a website which I use for beer reviews/the occasional rant. I started it for a Uni (I've gone back to study part time) project and kept it going. Doing it got me into craft beer in a big way, which is what bought me here. It's www.aleofatime.com - feel free to rag on my opinions.

Outside of beer, I'm 28, work for a media company, live in Melbourne but am a Kiwi. Have just as many dumb opinions about music as I do about beer. Also like watching any sport and playing video games.

Look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing my successes and failures!

G'day everyone,

Like many, I've been lurking in the background the past 6 weeks or so, slowly collecting information, slowly building my brewcabulary, and with a few kits'n'bits under my belt now figured it was time I stood up to be counted!

I'm 27, and have memories of making homebrew back in the mid 90's with my Dad, mostly coopers as per pack instructions; kids are a very cheap form of labour when it comes to adding a teaspoon of sugar to each stubbie! Needless to say, I'm extremely happy I stumbled across he bulk priming threads when I did.

Moved into a house from a flat recently, spare bedroom = no longer spare beer room. Mooched a few FV's, heat pads, caps, spoons et-al off a mate and inherited a 2 year old brewcraft LCBA clone which I gave a chance by adding some fresh US-05 that's still struggling to condition in the current Melb climate, however due to it's inherent 'freshness' I'm not expecting big things - saw it as a good chance to put some of my newly acquired AHB skillz to the test without fear of ruining anything of importance.

Second up, a Canadian Blonde can + LDME and dex & amped up with some Citra and S-23. Cracked one the other night, in complete n00b impatience, and it was great, albeit undercarbed (8 days <> 21 days). Amazingly clear considering it wasn't CC'd or anything.

Third to the plate was a Euro Lager can with some LDME, dex and Saaz for some kick. Those crafty lil' s-23's are still working their way through her.

So, all it's taken is 6 weeks and some loose change and I'm already hooked. Like my ebay addiction needed any further stimulus!

Cheers, and happy brewing!

Howdy all
Sean here from montrose in melbourne.
I love fishing drinking footy and now homebrewing! I'm just brewing my 1st pale ale, a cascade with some added hops to make it a a little like creatures 1st gravity reading 1040 .
Hope it turns out good im really looking forward to the 1st taste test!!

Hi guys,
I'm a long time beer appreciator however I've never home-brewed before but I've been interested to try for a long time. This place seems like a good starting point. I'm aiming for making my first batch ready for xmas.

Any suggestions or info for starters like me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi guys,
I'm a long time beer appreciator however I've never home-brewed before but I've been interested to try for a long time. This place seems like a good starting point. I'm aiming for making my first batch ready for xmas.

Any suggestions or info for starters like me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard.
You can find some great basic info by browsing the articles *points up to top of page*, or more specifically, HERE.

Be sure and make good use of the search function for any questions you may have, as chances are that you are not the only one who needs to know the answer.
Don't forget to let us know how your first brew goes!!

Welcome aboard.
You can find some great basic info by browsing the articles *points up to top of page*, or more specifically, HERE.

Be sure and make good use of the search function for any questions you may have, as chances are that you are not the only one who needs to know the answer.
Don't forget to let us know how your first brew goes!!

Awesome. Thanks, dude.

Hi All,

Just stumbled onto the self intro thread and thought it rude not follow suit...
Newby to the brewing game, about 13 brews and a hand full of experimental ciders under the belt. Playing around with extracts, partials and heaps of different hops to get the feel.
Background as a food scientist in industry for a over a decade, retired to become a school teacher! Happy to be a homebrewer.
I am 90% set up for AG brewing (rough as guts set up-but i'm sure it will evolve as necessary).
Having a great time on my new learning curve...thanks to the entire forum for the experience and shared knowledge. Hopefully I can chip in!

Hi All,

Just stumbled onto the self intro thread and thought it rude not follow suit...
Newby to the brewing game, about 13 brews and a hand full of experimental ciders under the belt. Playing around with extracts, partials and heaps of different hops to get the feel.
Background as a food scientist in industry for a over a decade, retired to become a school teacher! Happy to be a homebrewer.
I am 90% set up for AG brewing (rough as guts set up-but i'm sure it will evolve as necessary).
Having a great time on my new learning curve...thanks to the entire forum for the experience and shared knowledge. Hopefully I can chip in!

hi and welcome.
this site has a wealth of knowledge.
you may need a good brew or 2 looking after the future. (mothers little darlings)
cheers scooza.
:icon_drunk:

G'day all.

Fat ******* here. Homebrewed last a long time ago and I'm returning to it once again, but intend on making life as difficult as I possibly can by doing AG for my second brew (Kits & bits already done and out of the way).

I live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, work as an engineer, like old motorbikes, old aeroplanes, old surfboards, beer and heavy music between now and whenever it was that heavy music was invented.

I've read the forum for a few months planning the most difficult way to return to homebrewing moderated my the space available in my flat, and I just know I'll learn heaps from y'all!

Welcome everyone.
Fat ******* - go for it mate. An average AG BIAB tastes better than the best kits and bits IMO. Haven't even tried a good one (AG) yet, only my own efforts, but I'm sure once I nail it I will produce nectar!
Read NickJD's "All grain for under $30" thread. Watch some u-tube vids. Try Dr Smurto's golden ale recipe. Think of any failures as learning experiences, - and don't look back!
While your beers might not have the clarity of commercial brews, and the carbonation may or may not be consistent etc (speaking from personal experience here...) they will soon taste better than the megaswill, and even compare to some of the craft beers you may have tried. Then there is the knowing that you made that beer yourself from "raw" ingredients, and that makes it taste even better.
Cheers.

Welcome. I am also fairly new to the game. I started with the kits, then kits with addition of hops and steeped grains (aka kits and bits), then fresh wort kits with hop additions, now doing partials in a bag. I liked the step by step approach, because it breaks down the process into small chunks. For example, I learned about fermentation and sanitation in the kit phase, then about steeping when I moved on to the second phase, and then about mashing when I moved on to partials. Small, bite-size chunks. Otherwise, things may seem too complicated and off-putting .

Hi guys,

I am new to this brewing caper again. I tried about 5 years ago and i may of registered here under fish............ but maybe no.

I bought myself a new kit from BigW. a Toohey's kit and the next thing inline is a new bottle capper. used the kit in it and its not too bad bit flat as i think i left it in the fermenter for too long...... But it is a nice strong colour and is about 4%.....

The aim is to make my own toohey's old style beer that is really nice.

Anyway. i am from bunno down in the south west were we are spoiled with microbreweries! the missus asks when we go to Margaret river. Are we going down here because there is a brewery there?

Anyway any hints and tips would be welcomed with a cold brew!

Hi guys,

I am new to this brewing caper again. I tried about 5 years ago and i may of registered here under fish............ but maybe no.

I bought myself a new kit from BigW. a Toohey's kit and the next thing inline is a new bottle capper. used the kit in it and its not too bad bit flat as i think i left it in the fermenter for too long...... But it is a nice strong colour and is about 4%.....

The aim is to make my own toohey's old style beer that is really nice.

Anyway. i am from bunno down in the south west were we are spoiled with microbreweries! the missus asks when we go to Margaret river. Are we going down here because there is a brewery there?

Anyway any hints and tips would be welcomed with a cold brew!

Jaysus Fishy. Go and see Malcolm Secourable at Colonial and ask him how to knock up a porter like he does and you'll never touch another Toohey's old for as long as you live&reg; :)

Jaysus Fishy. Go and see Malcolm Secourable at Colonial and ask him how to knock up a porter like he does and you'll never touch another Toohey's old for as long as you live :)

Oh i love there porter and old coast brewery has a nice porter too. :)

I have to make a trip back to colonial to fill up my 2L flagon again.

When i was leaving in Mackay in was the beer of choice. You can stick that xxxx crap up ya arse! although i did get drunk under the table by a lady after a dozen.....

Hello there - I am completely new to this forum and I have to say that I am lucky I have found it for I am hopelessly trying to brew my first wine and beer and I only seem to have a clue on how to drink it but unfortunately not on how to make it. :) So that is why I am here - picking up tips and tricks, putting something in for discussion, asking questions, discussing with others and so on. :)

By the way - my name is Marcus :) just so you know - I guess it is easier to know the name ;)

Cheers
Marcus

Hi Marcus, decent beer is very easy to make, very good beer only slightly harder, and flawless beer significantly so.

How to Brew by John Palmer is a good book to get you started, though the first ed is free on the net if you search. Read through the stickies for new brewers and you will get a lot of hints on common issues and solutions.

There are some good simple recipes involving modifications to kits and I suggest starting there, but you will also need to ensure you have good sanitation and cleaning procedures in place to ensure you aren't wasting your time.

Good luck on your journey mate.

Howdy all

Only a new brewer, still on the K&K stage (about 6 batches so far). Enjoying so far and from what I have read, it can only get better.

About to put my first brew into a keg (I was shouted a kegging setup for the next several birthdays and chrissy's). Been flat out reading up on all the info that I can. My next challenge is going to be the carbonation stage and then experimenting to find the perfect pouring pressure! Only thing now is to keep the fermenting up to keep up with all the experimentation drinking!!! :beerbang:

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back