Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day All,

My names Brett, but my mates call me Beefy. I'm new to home brewing, however lots of my mates do it, and I enjoy drinking it.

Currently looking to implement a couple of home and portable bar solutions for my mates home brew setups, and I think i've found the best place in the world to get that kind of advice!

Beefy

Hallo, y'all.

My name's Mark, I did some kits a few years ago when I was a broke student in Central Queensland. Humid as a bedwetter's blanket up there so with minimal equipment only a stout turned out drinkable. Later moved to a dry community in Northern Queensland so I ended up passing on my fermenter and regretted it daily.

I've since relocated to Melbourne and after a couple of years sitting on my hands wishing I had my old fermenter back, I ended up sucking it in and buying a new one in November. I've been doing kits since then and am just making tentative steps into extracts... baby steps.

I've been lurking for a bit here, and only signed up recently. Never know, I might contribute something along the line. :p

Cheers!
Mark

Welcome BeefyG and iScarlet to AHB.

No doubt you will get a lot out of this forum. It helps if you put your location in your profile so we can see where your from and direct you to local suppliers etc. Search the forum there is a wealth of knowledge in there for the beginner to the advanced brewer. Ask questions where you need more information and enjoy.

Cheers

Chappo :beerbang:

Welcome all to The AHB forum

You should find a wealth of knowledge here
as said - add your location, it helps sometimes to get answer to questions

try google for searches, it tends to be a bit more productive than the forum search

Oh and try to stay clear of 1 of buttersd70's object lessons :lol: :eek:

Hey Guys...long time lurker here...sucking up the wealth of information like a sponge. AHB is truely an awesome resource for all levels of homebrewing.

I have been K&K'ing for about 5 years on an off...moved from NSW Central Coast to Albury which slowed things down for a while.

I have set up a fermenting fridge (info from here and TempMate from Ross :beerbang: ) which has made my beer significantly better and taken one more point of stress away. I also got some StarSan...top product and excellent value for money I reckon....and another point of stress gone. I have been experimenting with hops, specialty grains, and different yeasts, and now heading in the way of extract brewing (28kgs of LME should keep me at it for a while ;) ). My next two planned recipes are Tony's JSAA and DrSmurtos GA...very excited I can tell you.

I plan on getting into BIAB sometime in the near future (well 28kgs of LME from now anyhoo) and fairly excited about that too. I am a bit limited for space at the moment...but a roof, concrete, and some taps on the back of the house should sort that out...

Cheers
Brad

Welcome Brad

I see you are picking up significant speed on the slippery slope of home brewing obsession

Cheers

Hi Muckey...yep I think I have a pretty good grasp of the basics. The main thing I have going for me is that I like beer :lol: but I don't like paying good money for crap beer...and I certainly don't like paying rediculous money for good beer. A few motivating factors. Making your own beer is fun too ;)

I'm playing around with secondary fermentation (racking) at the moment...I used to ferment for about a week, then secondary for about the same, but at the moment I am leaving everything in the primary for about 2 weeks and then bulk priming. I am thinking the final product is similar without the extra work (and risk...even if that is small). I do know secondary fermentation was one of the big steps to better beer early on (cheap kit using kit yeast and very little temp control) for me...but now I am thinking it is not required.

Hi Muckey...yep I think I have a pretty good grasp of the basics. The main thing I have going for me is that I like beer :lol: but I don't like paying good money for crap beer...and I certainly don't like paying rediculous money for good beer. A few motivating factors. Making your own beer is fun too ;)

I'm playing around with secondary fermentation (racking) at the moment...I used to ferment for about a week, then secondary for about the same, but at the moment I am leaving everything in the primary for about 2 weeks and then bulk priming. I am thinking the final product is similar without the extra work (and risk...even if that is small). I do know secondary fermentation was one of the big steps to better beer early on (cheap kit using kit yeast and very little temp control) for me...but now I am thinking it is not required.

used too rack as well for conditioning. I got lazy and now I add finings and polyclar into the primary fermenter.
It doesnt seem to make much difference to me if it sits in the primary vessel for a couple of extra weeks. Of all the things I have tried and tinkered with, I'd have to day that fermentation temperature control and sanitation are my 2 no compromise points.

There are a great bunch of folks here and they'll help in anyway they can - most will help empty you bottles but hey, that's what this is all about :beerbang:

edit: fat fingers

Hi Brad
Top two choices there for your extract brews. The American style hops go really well in extract brews as American Pale Ales, Golden Ales etc are more hop driven and you can make a really nice drop without going all the way to All-Grain. Sounds like you have got the main Craft Brewing issues well sorted - sanitation and temperature control - and the next step is to use a good yeast. There's nothing basically too wrong with kit yeasts for a basic brew but especially with the brews you are looking to do, US-05 would be a brilliant yeast as suggested by the good Dr in his recipe.

Another style really well suited to extract brew is stouts where you can get away with blue murder :lol: - seriously what I mean is that because you have such a range of good black malts, choc malts, roast barley available nowadays, you can crank out a stout that gives Sheaf Stout etc a run for their money, again without going the extra step to All-grain.

Anyway welcome to the forum and happy brewing :icon_cheers:

Michael

Hey Michael...yep already well and truly into the better yeasts...using S-04 for my recent brews (Coopers Aus Pale Ale with some Carapils and Cascade at various points). I have some US-05 for the next couple. Actually my next major step will be haresting some yeast as I have read the results are fairly promising.
I am really keen to make some dark ales and stouts...something to sit at the back of the cupboard for a cold night by the fire ;) and yes I was thinking something dark would be fairly forgiving.

Hello All

My names Anthony, I've been lurking around here since June last year when I thought to myself "I think I'd like to have a go at making beer". Since then its become an all consuming passion.
I started out on kits and moved on through the ranks to extract with grains and with that I've started producing some beers I'm very happy with. I had a go at my first partial yesterday and am looking forward to the fruits of that labor. I can feel myself steam rolling towards all grain :D
With out the info on this site I think I would have given up long ago. As my first few batches were pretty ordinary :blink: . So I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted so much helpful info. I hope to be able to do the same.

Cheers

Anthony

Welcome to the land of the posters Camel78 and good to see that the site has inspired you so far. Don't keep lurking, share you experiences with the rest of us.

Cheers
Gavo.

:icon_chickcheers: Man I have to use these!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Hi all.

Let me start at the start....

My (late) Dad and I used to brew when I was 15...I thought it was amazing that we could create something that was alcoholic out of such simple ingredients...it was all very magical..
fast forward 10 years and (apart from carting my home brew equipment all around the place) i've moved on from the farm and I find myself in the midst of a brewing frenzy....right now i'm lovin the ease with goo and steeping grains....

I've built a brewing cupboard...and also im in the midst of yeast farming...its like im playing god!!

I really want to start AG ing but I'm starting slowly, and really want to hone my craft...( yeast, temp, O2, other controltables ya yah)

In my other life, Im an actor (I'm the Jason RACV guy, VIC only), and a gardener/landscape sh!t k!cker!!

Thanks for all your info already!! And I look forward to having a brew wif youse!

SS

Well welcome aboard Straussystrauss. Good to see your steeping grain and yeast farming etc. and already enjoying this obsession hobby of homebrewing.
For temp control you can't go past a fridge and a tempmate.

Yep get used to the process of making good beer but don't take to much time getting to AG, you won't regret it.

Cheers
Gavo.

Well welcome aboard Straussystrauss. Good to see your steeping grain and yeast farming etc. and already enjoying this obsession hobby of homebrewing.
For temp control you can't go past a fridge and a tempmate.

Yep get used to the process of making good beer but don't take to much time getting to AG, you won't regret it.

Cheers
Gavo.

Thanks Gavo..
It's nice to think that this cult has spread the country wide.... I've already 'made' a fridgemate, f'en proud as punch I twas.. they certainly are worth it...Now Im on the lookout for a chesty so I can do multiples a uno..

I feel like a toddler learning to walk amongst men...they're drinking man beer whilst I am still sucking on lollipops!

You may have just pushed me over the AG edge Gavo...Be careful you may have unleashed a beast!!

SS

G'day folks,
as with most others introducing themselves here, I've been lurking about here for ages and figured it was about time I joined up.
I've been a brewer for years, since my uni days, and have racked up 70 something brews, mainly kits but have done a few mashs along the way.
The arrival of the bub has slowed that down, but I'm busy at it again.
Keen to catch up with fellow Adelaide brewers along the way.
cheers,
Matt

G'day folks,
as with most others introducing themselves here, I've been lurking about here for ages and figured it was about time I joined up.
I've been a brewer for years, since my uni days, and have racked up 70 something brews, mainly kits but have done a few mashs along the way.
The arrival of the bub has slowed that down, but I'm busy at it again.
Keen to catch up with fellow Adelaide brewers along the way.
cheers,
Matt

Hey Mmatt,

Grats on the Kiddlin! and welcome to the boards!

Adelaide is ripe with knowledgeable, well practised brewers so I think you have come to the right place!

Cheers

thanks mate,
I've been lurking about brew shops for so long, I'm sure I have met a few members already...

I considered BIAB last time I did a partial, probably should have based on the mess that followed.
Probably will give it a crack in the interim until I get the brew haus re-established.
I'll have to get up to speed with the TLA's used on the boards.
Acronyms are a language in itself in my line of work, so won't take long :)
cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back