Interesting Article On Beer In Supermarkets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I preferred the one about the Thai Hotel :blink:

In Wellington I was paying about sux dollars NZ a pint in the pubs, but only about $NZ 5.00 for a 1.25L scrumpy 8.5% ABV cider from the supermarket. Hic.

Supermarket chains are powerful enough to force down the price they pay for lots of things.
Look at the price of their own brands of milk.
They have no qualms about screwing producers.

Supermarket chains are powerful enough to force down the price they pay for lots of things.
Look at the price of their own brands of milk.
They have no qualms about screwing producers.

And it's not all about screwing the price down. They don't pay their suppliers until after 30 days. But they get paid cash on the day they sell it.

From what I've heard there isn't much margin in FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) but this is how they make their profit. I have also heard Woolies only operate on a 2 - 3% bottom line but the $$ value of the 2 - 3% is massive!!! Not sure about now but Woolies used to lease all of their stores racks and all. No initial cash outlay, minimal overheads & getting paid for somthing you haven't paid for = massive profits.

Cheers, Mat.

Already happening to an extent over here....

Look at any bottle-o that belongs to a supermarket chain. At my local Vintage Cellars they have their own brand of Maxx Dry which is quite cheap compared to the TED they sit it next to on the shelf. They even had a special running where you could get a 6pack of each for $20 for a while. Which means your average TED drinker would walk in and grab his/her usual 6pk, which would cost $16 and figure "Hell, another 6pk for $4, sure"......

Next time they come in they notice the price difference and figure it tasted almost the same anyway, so they grab the MAXX instead........

The other way the supermarkets are putting pressure on the domestic breweries is by importing directly from contracted suppliers overseas - for example Bavaria (Holland), Konig Pils, Oettinger and Henninger.
I received a $100 Coles Myer gift card from work from an incentive, and trotted off to the local LL and bought three slabs of Henninger for $90.

4.9% pure Reinheitsgebot beer for $1.25 a stubby, fill my Litre glass stein for $3.75 :eek: :eek: Hits the lager spot for the next couple of months as I can't be arsed brewing true lagers (experimenting with a BoPils but that's probably going to be a one off, maybe do another for the comp season as well).

Blaming BribieG for getting me onto the 3x Henninger tallies for $10.00, empty bottles handy too.

Here in Langkawi MY. all supermarkets are duty free shops. Cans of Carlsberg Special Brew under a dollar, Danish Stout 50c and bottle of Single Islay Malt for $40.00 Pissheads Paradise.

Latest posts

Back