• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Interested -SS 400micron mesh basket for electric urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roosterboy said:
So far I have for version 1:
spog
hairydog
fortmonty
620rossco
Mattwa
Donutski
(Donutski , the extension on the legs would cost another $10, as I said drill a hole in both and connect )

And for version 2 :
synliss
tumi2
Cervantes
Kwinchee
Anthony
Although the 2nd version has split the numbers, version 1 is OK and I'll make up the numbers as I think it's a good size
I need to finalise the size for version 2.

So just to summarize sizing for Version 2. I think this works for everyone so far…

Total height– 38cm (will accommodate most 50l pots which seem to range from 38 to 40cm)
Diameter – 34cm (works for everyone I think and leaves some space around the sides)
Legs – 7cm (some people will need to cut down to their size)

This makes the basket only dimensions -:

Height – 31cm
Diameter – 34cm
Volume = I’ll leave that the mathematicians out there!!!
Potential grain weight = Anyone have any thoughts on this!!!

Roosterboy said:
So far I have for version 1:
spog
hairydog
fortmonty
620rossco
Mattwa
skypilot
Donutski
(Donutski , the extension on the legs would cost another $10, as I said drill a hole in both and connect )

And for version 2 :
synliss
tumi2
Cervantes
Kwinchee
Anthony
Although the 2nd version has split the numbers, version 1 is OK and I'll make up the numbers as I think it's a good size
I need to finalise the size for version 2.

tumi2 said:
So just to summarize sizing for Version 2. I think this works for everyone so far…

Total height– 38cm (will accommodate most 50l pots which seem to range from 38 to 40cm)
Diameter – 34cm (works for everyone I think and leaves some space around the sides)
Legs – 7cm (some people will need to cut down to their size)

This makes the basket only dimensions -:

Height – 31cm
Diameter – 34cm
Volume = I’ll leave that the mathematicians out there!!!
Potential grain weight = Anyone have any thoughts on this!!!
Ok I'll get a price on this one.

Sorry all, I'm out. Forgot where my thermowell was positioned, too high. Bugger

I could be in for the one appropriate for a Crown urn... I haven't done any BIAB'ing yet... just running through the ideas in my head.

So I could mash in this, then hoist it somehow (I could easily sit this on an oven rack, no?). I could also think about adding a pump to my urn for recirc, to clear the wort, although not absolutely required?

Could I step mash just by turning on the urn, or am I asking for trouble? How would I step mash with it?

This basket could be just what I'm looking for :)

donald_trub said:
So I could mash in this, then hoist it somehow (I could easily sit this on an oven rack, no?).
Yes you could mash in it, yes you could hoist it, yes you could sit it on an oven rack.

One issue with using this for BIABasket is draining the wort. Depending on your setup you might need to 1) find a way to sqeeze the grain (easy with a bag, not so much with a basket), or 2) add a sparge step. Or 3) don't worry about it and just adjust your grain absorption factor and efficiency once you have put down a few batches (grain is cheap).

I've stuck with my bag for the moment but I'm looking for a reason to buy one of these.

Might be of interest to someone, I was in ibrew today to get a couple things and noticed they sell the RoboBrew malt pipe as is. Might be a cheaper alternative for you guys.

To BIAB sparge using this basket i will just sit the basket in a side pot and let it sit and drain with a 7 liter sparge slowly poured over it. Then just pour the wort back into the pot that is now ramping to boil temp. I do the same with a bag now. The bag brings its own issues such as cleaning, tearing, scorching if using gas flame for mash temp management and sparge raise, difficult to stir mash to get even temp distribution etc. The bag hangs over the pot, can twist and im sure the grain bed is not evenly distributed. With this basket i hope to have a more simple cleaner less hassle system. I have used a bag for 10 years and it is fine but i think this basket is a step up.

In time i think it will make a recirc system using this basket.

Alright I'm sold. Please put me down for 1 x Crown urn sized basket!

I have sparged with my smaller basket using a kogan kettle that has the temperature on it and you can set it to sparge temperature.
Version 1 - spog
hairydog
fortmonty
620rossco
Mattwa
skypilot
donald_trub
Version 2 - synliss
tumi2
Cervantes
kwinchee
Anthony.
Version 2 is going to be $ 124.00 plus postage , still looking into postage.

I'm going to order Version 1 first , I'll give Version 2 more time.
I need a deposit of $70.00 to secure your Version 1 brew basket . The remaining (if including postage $ 70.00 ) to be paid when they come in.
I'll message payment details to each buyer and please reference the payment with your AHB name .

Thanks

Version 1 has been ordered . If anyone else wants one this order, get in now as I have ordered 1 for me and 1 for my brother-in-law to use and a spare.
Roosterboy.

Roosterboy said:
Version 1 has been ordered . If anyone else wants one this order, get in now as I have ordered 1 for me and 1 for my brother-in-law to use and a spare.
Roosterboy.
Ill take the the spare..

Cheers

Cervantes won't be able to check the specifications for another 2 weeks.
We might get some more people while waiting.
This size would probably be able to be used in one of the Cheeky Peak 33 L brew pots as they're 35.0 cm wide by 35.0cm high ?????

Version 2 - synliss
tumi2
Cervantes
kwinchee
Anthony.
Version 2 is going to be $ 124.00 plus postage , still looking into postage.

Hey Roosterboy,

I use a 40L Crown Urn and am keen. Is it too late to get in on this?

Cheers

shacked said:
Hey Roosterboy,

I use a 40L Crown Urn and am keen. Is it too late to get in on this?

Cheers
Leave it with me , I can't add anymore to version 1 run now, but I'll keep your name down on the list for one.

Latest posts

Back