• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Interested -SS 400micron mesh basket for electric urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kwinchee said:
Id be keen Roosterboy, the last one I got off you is amazing but that little bit too small!
You should get a lid :p so its like the brewboss and foam overflow isnt an issue

How much would it be for one that fit into a 50lt keg :p
Great to hear from you mate , yeah I know it was a bit small but getting the sizing and price , shipping price right is
a bit of a balancing act. I'll get back to you .

Just a thought Roosterboy, if you're making these, it wouldn't be too much effort to make Hop Spiders as well? You'd probably need a finer mesh though.

Roosterboy said:
No,just the brew baskets.Sorry pnorkle.
Ha - no, that's fine - wasn't specifically for me, just thought it might be something you'd be interested in.

I'd love one of these for my keggle but with an arch in the middle of the base so it could sit over my element. Great looking bit of kit!

This will fit my Cheeky Peak 50L brew pot with ease width ways (37cm wide) and just above the lip which is great. The only reservation I have is will it allow for a decent vorlauf? Or would you have to block the sides so that they wort has to recirculate through to the bottom?

The mesh is fine ie 400 micron so husks aren't going to get through , the channeling from the top if recirculating with a pump , to the sides and so the wort isn't draining through the grain bed is possible and is probably dependent on the way the wort is delivered into the basket ie sprayed from above like a shower or just run in like a hose.My thoughts are it probably makes sense to take a large piece of aluminum foil bend in half and cover the mesh all the way around to half way down the basket if that was a concern for you. Given that these sought of baskets are used all over the place in the US , I don't know how many people worry too much about it.

It looks like I am out, sorry Rooster. The deal is great, the product is no doubt wonderful. The issue I have is the height of the basket. I have what was a 50 litre stainless keg, with the top chopped off to make it into a keggle. I used to just have a big hole cut in the top of the keg, but that ripped up my bags when lifting the grin out. I chopped the top section off, which has made it so much easier to use, but it has reduced the total height of the keggle.

The measurements of the keggle are:

1) diameter: 390mm
2) height: 350mm. the height is taken from where the bottom taper joins the side of the keg to the rim.

For the basket to work for my situation I would need something that is wider and shorter (I have never said that before....usually wider on longer!!). If the basket had the legs on, it would be 50mm too tall and I couldn't put the lid on.

Thanks all the same mate, I would have jumped at the chance. Regards, Anthony

Roosterboy said:
The mesh is fine ie 400 micron so husks aren't going to get through , the channeling from the top if recirculating with a pump , to the sides and so the wort isn't draining through the grain bed is possible and is probably dependent on the way the wort is delivered into the basket ie sprayed from above like a shower or just run in like a hose.My thoughts are it probably makes sense to take a large piece of aluminum foil bend in half and cover the mesh all the way around to half way down the basket if that was a concern for you. Given that these sought of baskets are used all over the place in the US , I don't know how many people worry too much about it.
Maybe you could make a smaller version, say 15cm high, that could be attached to a bottomless bigw pot or make the basket wide enough for the pot to sit inside.

AJS2154 said:
It looks like I am out, sorry Rooster. The deal is great, the product is no doubt wonderful. The issue I have is the height of the basket. I have what was a 50 litre stainless keg, with the top chopped off to make it into a keggle. I used to just have a big hole cut in the top of the keg, but that ripped up my bags when lifting the grin out. I chopped the top section off, which has made it so much easier to use, but it has reduced the total height of the keggle.

The measurements of the keggle are:

1) diameter: 390mm
2) height: 350mm. the height is taken from where the bottom taper joins the side of the keg to the rim.

For the basket to work for my situation I would need something that is wider and shorter (I have never said that before....usually wider on longer!!). If the basket had the legs on, it would be 50mm too tall and I couldn't put the lid on.

Thanks all the same mate, I would have jumped at the chance. Regards, Anthony
This also counts me out then as I have exactly the same set up and would have had to extend the legs to clear my heating element, pushing the top of the basket even higher.

Sorry.

Cervantes, Rooster..... I am disappointed that it didn't work out for our respective kettles. These baskets are designed it fit an urn, which is narrow and tall. Our keggles are short and fat. Shame, but if there is ever another opportunity for the short and fat baskets (AKA vertically & weight challenged) I am in. Anthony

Roosterboy said:
So far I have; spog
hairydog
fortmonty
620rossco
And to get back to me to confirm ; synliss

another member has messaged me
We need some more.

I have NEWS...the guys making the basket
are willing to make 2 sizes Anthony & Cervantes.
I don't want them longer as postage will go up,
but you guys tell me what size you want ??

Hi all, the different size may tickle my fancy.

i will provide my requirements to see if we can align and make a bulk purchase easy for Roosterboy.

My sizes requirements are as follows:

Total height including legs: 39cm (legs to be 7cm in length to clear elements and plumbing)
Total width / diameter: Total width of pot is 39cm but to leave a few cms around the side i think 35 cm maximum but preferably 33 cm

not sure what capacity that is in grains?

Roosterboy said:
I have NEWS...the guys making the basket
are willing to make 2 sizes Anthony & Cervantes.
I don't want them longer as postage will go up,
but you guys tell me what size you want ??
Roosterboy,

Excellent news. I'm back in if I can get the right size.

I have a keggle with the top cut off and would need longer legs to clear the heating element. Will confirm that one of the two sizes will fit at the end of August when I get home from work.

Ok, we're around the 33.0 or 34.0 cm diameter
Height around the same plus legs 7.0 cm , if
they're too long , you can cut them off ?
Up to you what is best.

Hi Rooster,

I am keen for the larger size of up to 35 cm diameter and will cut the legs down to size. Count me in

Good work Rooster.....impressive solution selling mate.

I can take a basket up to say, 350mm in diameter. The total height can't be greater 350mm, so if the legs are 20mm, the basket could be say 320mm.

Anybody see a problem with these dimensions, purely from the ability of the basket to hold and lift grain in a basket of this dimension? Probably max 6.5kgs grain.

Cheers mate, Anthony

Latest posts

Back