• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Interested -SS 400micron mesh basket for electric urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get at least 10 people who are interested in a Stainless Steel 400 micron mesh basket similar to the one
in the photos but bigger . This basket will be 29.0 cm diameter and 38.0 cm high plus 2cm legs.
So taller than the one in the photo and able to fit 30 L or 40 L crown urns with concealed element.
It would fit in many other electric urns but ones with exposed elements would need the legs extended.
So the volume of the basket would be 25 L and able to take around 6 kg of grain ( I think 6.7 kg of
grain would be the max to fit in ). So easily make 30 L of wort. Being a narrow tall basket there is less
stress on the basket and these type of baskets can be made much bigger as in the US.
With a batch of 10 or more the price can be kept down and I was looking to sell them for
$ 115.00 plus postage or pickup for locals on the south coast. Postage for most people
would be $25.00. I kept the height of the basket to 40.0 cm so postage would be reasonable.
So if you already have an urn and It's not worth buying a robobrew or similar here is the answer.
Some in the US believe only the bottom of the basket should be perforated , this can be achieved
by aluminium foil wrapped over the top and around.
The old basket was smaller and more expensive but with numbers I can bring this down for this
new bigger Stainless Steel basket . I use the old one at home on a regular basis for yeast starters,
oats, sea weed and other things I put in my beers.
Please message me if interested.

post-33018-0-84199000-1437995818_thumb.jpg

post-33018-0-08347100-1437995834_thumb.jpg

Roosterboy said:
I'm hoping to get at least 10 people who are interested in a Stainless Steel 400 micron mesh basket similar to the one
in the photos but bigger . This basket will be 29.0 cm diameter and 38.0 cm high plus 2cm legs.
So taller than the one in the photo and able to fit 30 L or 40 L crown urns with concealed element.
It would fit in many other electric urns but ones with exposed elements would need the legs extended.
So the volume of the basket would be 25 L and able to take around 6 kg of grain ( I think 6.7 kg of
grain would be the max to fit in ). So easily make 30 L of wort. Being a narrow tall basket there is less
stress on the basket and these type of baskets can be made much bigger as in the US.
With a batch of 10 or more the price can be kept down and I was looking to sell them for
$ 115.00 plus postage or pickup for locals on the south coast. Postage for most people
would be $25.00. I kept the height of the basket to 40.0 cm so postage would be reasonable.
So if you already have an urn and It's not worth buying a robobrew or similar here is the answer.
Some in the US believe only the bottom of the basket should be perforated , this can be achieved
by aluminium foil wrapped over the top and around.
The old basket was smaller and more expensive but with numbers I can bring this down for this
new bigger Stainless Steel basket . I use the old one at home on a regular basis for yeast starters,
oats, sea weed and other things I put in my beers.
Please message me if interested.
All the best with these. I've upgraded from a Crown Urn, but if I was still using it, I'd snap one up for sure.

I've taken some measurements ,and this'll work for me.
I currently use a Big W stockpot with a shit load of holes drilled in it then lined with voile which is held in place with bulldog clips.
Extending the legs to clear the elements,temp probe and thermowell is easily done.
I'm in.

C,mon Brewers you know you need/ want it .
10 buyers to make it happen.........

I'll have to measure my converted keg, but if the size is right I would potentially be interested.

Can't measure for another four weeks though until I get home from work.

Hey Rooster,,,,,away from home at the moment, but have been looking for something like this for some time now. I will confirm measurements tonight, but assuming it fits in to a keg with the lid chopped off, I am in. Sounds great.
Cheers, Anthony

Roosterboy nice work.
I will do a measurement tonight. The 40cm total i suspect is about 0.5cm higher than my pot which means i wont get the lid on it. However trimming the legs by a fraction would be easy enough.

ill get back to you.

Have you ever used your current one in a recirc system where pumps transferr wort from bottom to top. I think that is what you are mentioning about the perforations at the bottom only and the aluminium foil

Ok Cervantes about the time.
Thanks Anthony and tumi2 also.
I don't think I have used with a pump, if I get time I'll use the foil and pump and post pictures.

I am interested in this. I will measure my pot tonight.

Would you use this as a replacement for a brew bag in a BIAB setup? I am thinking about creating a recirculating system and placing a pipe through the centre with holes to allow infusion through the grain bed. Or placing aluminium foil as suggested and pumping to the top.

Thanks,
Matthew Robson

Yeh Matt , no bag needed and you jiggle it like a tea bag. I don't know if anyone has done a scientific experiment to work out what's best but in the US there are companies that do both methods and also whirlpooling the wort in the basket.

Gday Roosterboy,

Looks like a great malt pipe for the crown urn and will definitely fit mine,i am currently using a pump to recirculate and find the mash

liquid can rise if malt grind is too thin,i can't help myself but give it a go,count me in.

Where on the south coast are you located?

Synliss said:
I am interested in this. I will measure my pot tonight.

Would you use this as a replacement for a brew bag in a BIAB setup? I am thinking about creating a recirculating system and placing a pipe through the centre with holes to allow infusion through the grain bed. Or placing aluminium foil as suggested and pumping to the top.

Thanks,
Matthew Robson
This is the reason I want one,it's to replace my bag/ pot = 2 seperate parts that need cleaning and can hide brew spoiling nasties,not to mention the bulldog clips I use to hold the voile in place.
After brewing on Sunday I hung the voile on the line and hosed it down,all good and then a bird shat on it.so hose the shit off then soak ,rinse and dry again .
I did have a recirculating system on my rig using a " little brown pump" 12 volt jobby but got rid of it as it would clog up if there was to much flour in the crush,it was bloody annoying and another place for nasties too hide.
A $ 10.00 potatoe masher from Woolies does the trick. A few pumps, twists and a stir 2 or 3 times during the brewing process and your set like jelly !

The great thing about the 400 micron mesh is it is a filter and you don't get large bits of crap blocking up your pump.
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I love biab but lifting and draining the bag is a pain .

I would be interested in one .

So far I have; spog
AJ2154
hairydog
fortmonty
620rossco
And to get back to me to confirm ; Cervantes
tumi2
synliss.

Id be keen Roosterboy, the last one I got off you is amazing but that little bit too small!
You should get a lid :p so its like the brewboss and foam overflow isnt an issue

How much would it be for one that fit into a 50lt keg :p

Back