Insulated Camping Keg Trailer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettryan0

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and am looking to get some ideas on how to build a trailer that works essentially as a large keg fridge with multiple taps out the back, using ice and dry ice to cool the kegs.

I'm a Rover Scout and I go camping with large groups of people on a regular basis, and there is never enough beer. And i'm a picky b*st*rd that prefers tap beer.

So at the moment I'm looking at getting a Commodore Ute Tub to convert into the trailer with a hard lid. Build a box inside the Tub that would leave just enough room at the back to fit the taps before hitting the door flap. Insulate the box and seperate it into sections for the Dry Ice, Ice, and Kegs. Small pockets for the dry ice, to stop the rest of the ice from melting.

What do we think? Is it do-able? Any better ideas? Has anybody seen anything like this done?

Beefy

Yeah I've seen pics on the web of a box trailer setup with several beer taps on the back gate and insulated for keg storage inside with gas bottle etc. They called it their "mobile party bar" IIRC and was built to take to BBQ's and parties etc. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it as it was a few years ago now...a search may turn something up?

Here are acouple of pics I found while looking for the 'mobile party bar'

beertrailer2.JPG

CarTap.JPG

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and am looking to get some ideas on how to build a trailer that works essentially as a large keg fridge with multiple taps out the back, using ice and dry ice to cool the kegs.

I'm a Rover Scout and I go camping with large groups of people on a regular basis, and there is never enough beer. And i'm a picky b*st*rd that prefers tap beer.

So at the moment I'm looking at getting a Commodore Ute Tub to convert into the trailer with a hard lid. Build a box inside the Tub that would leave just enough room at the back to fit the taps before hitting the door flap. Insulate the box and seperate it into sections for the Dry Ice, Ice, and Kegs. Small pockets for the dry ice, to stop the rest of the ice from melting.

What do we think? Is it do-able? Any better ideas? Has anybody seen anything like this done?

Beefy

I think your main issue will be having the height to take the kegs. I am assuming that you intend to convert a style side tray? An option would have to be cutting out a section of the floor to accomodate the kegs. It's certainly do-able with so fabrication. You would want to be able to remove or cover the taps as well.

Cheers

Chappo

Rets, do you think that if I show my wife that pic I'll be able to convince her that her Civic hatch is unroadworthy and needs upgrades?

why not just build a large jockey box style thing. or make a giant esky?

lare insultaed container pack with dry ice or whatever and stick taps on it. much easier than converting a trailer.

then again if the whole troop wants to contribute to make a trailer for permanent ownership by the troop be worth while.

Rets, do you think that if I show my wife that pic I'll be able to convince her that her Civic hatch is unroadworthy and needs upgrades?

As long as you don't paint it orange and put clear tail lights on it I think she will be more than happy with the mods.

Just tell her it is to keep the boys happy/quiet while she drives you all to the pub!

Reckon you should check out those 'miracle boxes' if you haven't already. You could make a modified version of one to suit your ute/trailer.

They don't need ice around the kegs I don't think (you just throw ice in the box and the flow through the coiled hose in the box makes the beer cold at the other end). Seen them with 4 kegs running on just a couple of bags of ice and they're... a miracle! Less ice = more money for beer making! They're great things and you can put a bunch of shank taps on them.

Plus then your kegs don't need to sit in the ute, with long lines they could sit in a tent or anywhere. But you could build a strong box to store them if you like as an add on to sit behind the miracle box.

Think there is even a thread on here about building a 'miracle box' but can't find it. Check it out.

Hopper.

Thanks guys,

I thought about the Miracle/Jockey Box idea, my only concern being the kegs sitting in the trailer without insulation on a stinker of a day over the Australia Day long weekend. May have to consider making an insulated compartment (pinch an old fridge that will fit kegs and fit in the trailer) to keep the heat off the kegs and then a miracle/jockey box to properly cool the beer with a set of taps just inside the tailgate.

Now to see how cheap I can do this. Would love to have it done over the next 3 weeks! (however I doubt the probability of that...

Cheers,

Beefy

Question Beefy? Are you a home brewer or are you planning on buying commercial kegs for this little venture?

When I got my gas bottle re-filled at the Brew-by-U (I think) at Slacks Creek, they have trailer mounted cold rooms with 4 taps fitted.
And I showed some interest and they said $100 hire for a weekend.
Could be worth a look.

Jay

Question Beefy? Are you a home brewer or are you planning on buying commercial kegs for this little venture?

I am not a home brewer... yet.

At this stage it would be for a combination of commercial kegs and my mates home brew cornys...

I'm looking into getting into brewing my own at some stage.

When I got my gas bottle re-filled at the Brew-by-U (I think) at Slacks Creek, they have trailer mounted cold rooms with 4 taps fitted.
And I showed some interest and they said $100 hire for a weekend.
Could be worth a look.

Slacks Creek is a little far for me mate, I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Beefy

I am not a home brewer... yet.

At this stage it would be for a combination of commercial kegs and my mates home brew cornys...

I'm looking into getting into brewing my own at some stage.

Slacks Creek is a little far for me mate, I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Beefy

Hmmmm? That's what I thought. Ok that does add a little complexity to your plans because basically your cornies are thin and tall but your commercial kegs are fat and stout. Also you will need different hook ups for both and you will need to work out how much of either one you want to be able to serve at one time.

As for your in Melbourne why not put that in your signature mate? Jay was only trying being helpful, yeah? <_<

Chappo

Hmmmm? That's what I thought. Ok that does add a little complexity to your plans because basically your cornies are thin and tall but your commercial kegs are fat and stout. Also you will need different hook ups for both and you will need to work out how much of either one you want to be able to serve at one time.

As for your in Melbourne why not put that in your signature mate? Jay was only trying being helpful, yeah? <_<

Chappo
Some one suggested you are a commercial keg Chappo, any truth in that ? :lol:
GB

:icon_offtopic: hows that? full of shite and once emptied he's good for converting into a keggle? :p

you could get a chest freezer that is no longer working for free, wack taps in the front/side or font on top and bang your done. You could do it for cheap as if you use picnic taps attached to a keg coupler with a length of beer line for the comercial kegs.
You can dress the freezer up how ever you like, camo paint job might look cool for out in the bush, actually that would look cool anywhere.

throw it on the back of a trailer and then there still room for the rest of the rover kit (ie booze, tents, booze, cookers, more booze, food etc.

Back