Input Wanted! For Magazine Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry all gotta agree with normell.not off track at all.anyway i agree with a quarterlly mag as you would not want overload and rehash.4 x mag would cover all types of brewing and achieve it quite well without the usuall flair up of my beer is better than yourse because of blah blah blah.
the mag could quite easily be broken up into sections covering k and k partials part mash ag etc with adequate input from those that prefer this approach.this way i believe will cover all doctrines of our beloved hobby without too many flare ups and cater to all spectrums of brewers no matter what there level of enthusiasm is.
it will also cater to the various sponsers of different levels of brewing that will support this mag venture.

mmmmm

big d

A tough task but I would definitely be interested. Here are my thoughts:

1. Keep it below $10 (most of us are tightwads).

2. Make it quarterly, and CLEARLY display it's date (eg WINTER 05). Brewing is a fairly slow-moving hobby/industry , and you'll have a thin mag if you do it more often. I find the racks of thin, expensive, out-of-date brewing mags uninspiring, but I would definitely pick up the new issue of a decent local quarterly. Shop owners would need to dump old issues.

3. Make it indispensable - always fully list the season's upcoming comps & events, training & employment opportunities etc. Include up-to-date directories of suppliers (even those who don't advertise with you). Have articles about aspects of brewing that the bearded shed grainer will find interesting as well as the K&K and small commercial guys. We're a brotherhood, after all. If a shop is importing a new gadget, or a bunch of new hops is available, that's a news story regardless of the advertising arrangements. Invite article submissions from willing content donors, and have a decent 'letters' section where people can send or email tips and tricks.

4. Keep us up to speed with microbreweries and new brews.

I guess I am picturing a low-gloss, no-frills periodical that would hopefully garner the goodwill of the Aussie brewer and brewshop. I'll take quality, timely content over glossy filler anytime. As the publisher, you should probably place priority on the 'news' and 'essential brewers resource' side of it, and hopefully you'll get some good submissions (or at least permission to lift people's own web pages) for the 'articles' ;-)

Hi guys, Im only a newbie here but I'd like to see a magazine that caters for all styles not just grainers like me. Informative, factual, with a page 3 girl every month and she has to be good lookin. :p

4077 :party:

Thanks everyone for your ideas, Every single (helpful) post will be used to help create this magazine. Im very excited that i have recieved alot of positive feedback and have realised that alot of you want a magazine as bad as i do. Thank you all again for your thoughts and keep the ideas coming.

Scotty

I don't want to stop anybody trying to set up a brew mag, but two prevous ones died. Better have a look at them and work out why they failed.

Jovial Monk

Hi guys, Im only a newbie here but I'd like to see a magazine that caters for all styles not just grainers like me. Informative, factual, with a page 3 girl every month and she has to be good lookin.

I like taht idea - a page 3 Beer Goddess pictorial - Nice....

:super:

Very Nice...

MAH said:
You don't need to reinvent the wheel, just put a good set of Australian made tyres on it.

I think that's a pearler of a metaphor. Stick to that and you should do well.

Most of these suggestions I think are very good.

Couple of things I would like to see is a "Cooking with Beer" section and a review on microbrewery beers available in Australia each edition.

C&B
TDA

normell said:
So if we are gunna do a mag the same as Zymurgy, whats the point :blink: If that aint trying to re-invent the wheel :blink: :blink:

Normell

Hi Normell

Just for the record I suggested that Scotty pick
MAH said:
the best bits from Zymurgy and Brew Your Own

Yes Zymurgy might be a bit more advanced, but I would hardly consider BYO the bastion of All Grainers, it has a significant amount of information for extract brewers.

I stand by my original suggestion that this magazine will be appealing to a niche market. These will be brewers who have moved on from supermarket kits and have developed a thirst for more knowledge. Why would you buy a magazine on home brewing if you didn't want to learn more and more? Hence the suggestion not to try and be all things to all brewers. Aknowledge that you will be writing for an audience that have moved passed the basics and now want more detailed information on the art and science of brewing (be it extract or grain).

Cheers
MAH

WoW!

Tin of worms here Scotty! Good advice JM.

You need to know what won't work as well as what will.

The OZ Market though is quite factionalised and whatever articles and advice are to be included my own view is that they be FROM A CREDIBLE SOURCE. eg. Grand Champion Home brewer of the bullamakanka agricultural show Stout section, won't make it unless he's also the State comp winner.

I for one would be keen to have a quarterly Mag on the shelf provided it is relavent for the range of customers that I have. That is, Advanced Kits, reviews from Manufacturers about what's in it etc. As well as spicing up kits with small (1kg) mashes. Extract issues and All Grain.
Hop reviews, growers difficulties and stuff.
Perhaps something from Ausbulk or Weyermann regarding kilning temps of grains and the results that emanate from their processes etc.

Yeast reviews, perhaps from a panel of brewers breing the same beer with differing yeast strains as a regular column.

Perhaps BOC (or someone) gases could contribute with co2 management practices.

Try to stay away from recipes! There are millions of them out there and I don't know of any brewer that doesn't tweak them anyway.

Hope this helps, good on you!

Dave

Hi Guys
Newbie to this forum also living outside Oz.
Just interested in the Oz content Mag, is she up and running, if not any other suggestions in Mag lines for all style of Brewers that are starving for info & hints.

Know U will assist with any questions on the Brewing etc but nice to see what the rest are doing as well.

Thanks in advance
Spud

Latest posts

Back