34L SS Conical $499 - Brewers Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Forgive me if someone has made a thread on these before but I couldn't locate anything.

I'm in the market for a SS conical and have just come across these for $499 http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/copy-of-65l-self-chillingheating-ss-conical-fermenter

Don't get me wrong, I get it's not the quality of SS brewtech Unitanks but when you consider the cost saving of $900 when compared against the SS 26L Unitank or $1,200 against the 52L option......this has now become a real alternative.

I have no interest in using the chilling coil that comes with the SS unitank, I can't see the value in running glycol, pumps and paying all that cash when I could just sit the thing in a fridge, so I've always resented that I'd be paying for that when I'd never use it. Secondly the 34L size is actually much more preferable to me than either the 26L or the 52L option of the unitanks.

The only thing I would consider is installing a TC bulkhead to the top of it just to allow room for blow off/vacuum breaker. Not sure how that would affect it's pressure rating though.

Now all I want to know is if anyone has any experience with these units? What kind of build quality would I be looking at? Has anyone purchased one in the past or have any information on the quality of the unit or welds?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Forgive me if someone has made a thread on these before but I couldn't locate anything.

I'm in the market for a SS conical and have just come across these for $499 http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/copy-of-65l-self-chillingheating-ss-conical-fermenter

Don't get me wrong, I get it's not the quality of SS brewtech Unitanks but when you consider the cost saving of $900 when compared against the SS 26L Unitank or $1,200 against the 52L option......this has now become a real alternative.

I have no interest in using the chilling coil that comes with the SS unitank, I can't see the value in running glycol, pumps and paying all that cash when I could just sit the thing in a fridge, so I've always resented that I'd be paying for that when I'd never use it. Secondly the 34L size is actually much more preferable to me than either the 26L or the 52L option of the unitanks.

The only thing I would consider is installing a TC bulkhead to the top of it just to allow room for blow off/vacuum breaker. Not sure how that would affect it's pressure rating though.

Now all I want to know is if anyone has any experience with these units? What kind of build quality would I be looking at? Has anyone purchased one in the past or have any information on the quality of the unit or welds?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Love the Chinglish, it probably won't do anything a feremtasaurous wont for a fraction of the price but I get the lure of SS

I bought one for the same reasons you are thinking of, once it arrived I was bitterly disappointed- the weld quality was terrible, there were visible burrs where they had filed back the weld joints and excess 'slag' running around the rim of the fermenter. I sent it back and was refunded the full amount including postage.

Mine could have been a one off but I wouldn't risk it, I spent the extra money for a 26L chronicle from ssbrewtech and couldn't be happier- I just wish I did it from the beginning.

IMG_0444.jpg IMG_0441.jpg IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0442.jpg

Really appreciate the info.

Disappointing to see that. The old too good to be true hey. I’ve sent them an email to ask for info on the unit and confirm the quality of the welds. I’m hoping they’ve refined the quality with their supplier!

When abouts did you purchase your one?

Really appreciate the info.

Disappointing to see that. The old too good to be true hey. I’ve sent them an email to ask for info on the unit and confirm the quality of the welds. I’m hoping they’ve refined the quality with their supplier!

When abouts did you purchase your one?

I purchased it a few months ago- maybe 3 months at the most? In the email I would ask for some pics inside because the outside looked tidy as, from cheering to spewing in less than five minutes!

Like I said I might have been unlucky but unless I could see it in person or get a bunch of photos I wouldn't pull the trigger on one.

Jesus that looks like shit. What a joke. Glad they refunded you.

I was pretty scathing in my email to them because no one in good conscience would sell something- designed to ferment in, when it would be next to impossible to sanitise it properly.

Yeah fair call. I'm an hour or so from them so I'll wait to hear back from them and then if they say it's 'all good' I'll head up there and check it out before I purchase.

I have a feeling because I've asked about the quality of the welds and photos, my email might just slide through to the trash can.

Back