Initial Taste...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mash temp is to high, basically 67c. Lower that to 63c for 60mins and the final beer will attenuate more, dry it out and leave less residuals in the beer and that honey sweetness will be less, likely none.

Also using the lager yeast strain at much lower ferment temps will have less esters.

blink471 said:
Thanks everyone.. I am trying to narrow down this flavour i'm getting... my neighbour who comes over to sample... (as they do)... thinks its fine. But maybe its me. Damoninja I notice you have had this thought too... My mash temps are based on what I punch into Beersmith... using a BIAB technique.

Saccharification

Add 38.88 l of water at 69.7 C

66.7 C

75 min

Mash Out

Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min

75.6 C

10 min

Just poured another beer now and its not too bad... but would love to work it out.
If you want to narrow it down, posting the ENTIRE recipe and ENTIRE process in the first or subsequent posts would be really useful.

Could be mash temp. Could be yeast strain, management, health, fermentation process. Could be oxidation from packaging or storage. Could be.....

Please offer the necessary detail.

Ingredients (including malt brands)
Mash
Yeast
Fermentation temp.
OG and FG
Packaging methods.

Anything else that might be useful, including hot or cold side aeration, especially when packaging and storage conditions.

If you can step mash, I'd recommend the hochkurz (high and short) mash profile - typically 30-45 min at 62C/63C, 30-45 min at 70C-72C then mash out. It's commonly used in German commercial brewing. At the temps and times given, it should result in a highly fermentable wort.

Then use a clean yeast that throws few esters, either a clean ale yeast (Nottingham at lower temps would be my choice, but there's a fair few others) or a lager yeast.

MHB could you expand on avoiding O2 during mashing.
I'd been thinking myself of boiling the strike liquor, sealing it off in the urn with a floating mat and letting it cool to strike temp then lowering in a bag of CO2 flushed grist, gentle stir then fit mat.

manticle said:
If you want to narrow it down, posting the ENTIRE recipe and ENTIRE process in the first or subsequent posts would be really useful.

Could be mash temp. Could be yeast strain, management, health, fermentation process. Could be oxidation from packaging or storage. Could be.....

Please offer the necessary detail.

This is the recipe I used.. and followed the steps precisely.

Although measuring the temperature correctly with my thermometer could be out a bit. Electronic might be more accurate.

I BIAB as well... and mill my grains...

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 l
Boil Size: 27.84 l
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 25.00 l
Final Bottling Vol: 22.00 l
Fermentation: Koelsch (Kolsch), Two Stage
Date: 13 Oct 2016
Brewer: Tony
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Tony's Brewery Equipment
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.1 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing
  • Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
  • Total Water Needed: 30.90 l
  • Mash Water Acid:
Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

4.50 kg

CHÂTEAU PILSEN 2RS (3.0 EBC)

Grain

90.0 %

0.30 kg

Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)

Grain

6.0 %

0.20 kg

Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC)

Grain

4.0 %

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Saccharification

Add 30.90 l of water at 73.8 C

68.9 C

60 min

Mash Out

Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min

75.6 C

10 min

• Sparge Water Acid:
  • If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
  • Add water to achieve boil volume of 27.84 l
  • Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.042 SG
Boil Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

40.00 g

Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

20.4 IBUs

10.00 g

Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min

Hop

3.9 IBUs

2.00 Items

Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

Fining

-

• Estimated Post Boil Vol: 25.00 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG
Cool and Transfer Wort
  • Cool wort to fermentation temperature
  • Transfer wort to fermenter
  • Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 23.00 l
Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

Fermentation Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

1.0 pkg

German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml]

Yeast

-

• Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.049 SG)
  • Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 23.00 l)
  • Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 23.00 l
Fermentation
  • 13 Oct 2016 - Primary Fermentation (3.00 days at 15.6 C ending at 15.6 C)
  • 16 Oct 2016 - Secondary Fermentation (12.00 days at 15.6 C ending at 15.6 C)
Dry Hop and Bottle/Keg
  • Measure Final Gravity: _________ (Estimate: 1.014 SG)
  • Date Bottled/Kegged: 28 Oct 2016 - Carbonation: Keg with 86.48 KPA
  • Age beer for 30.00 days at 17.2 C
  • 27 Nov 2016 - Drink and enjoy!
Notes

Sorry should have given this info earlier... I do thank everyone for the replies...

Had to post here, as I've had a golden ale that I brewed a month ago and only just tried for the first time tonight. It was carbonating in my keezer for two weeks.

I'm getting MAJOR honey on the nose and in the flavour. I hate honey. I used Pilsner malt too, but I'm thinking MJ M44 is partly to blame - I do not like that yeast at all.

It's one of my Christmas beers.... such a bummer!

I do a German Pilsner, the only time I get the sweetness is if I dont manage the fermentation properly (no diacetyl rest at room temp) and its more of a butterscotch sticky sweet than honey. Should be no sweetness, a clean crisp pils is no easy task though, there is nowhere to hide unlike a lot of other brews!

Your mash temp does seem a bit high, drop to 63 for a crisp brew. Above 65 it can be a bit sweeter, 67 definitely will give you a sweet taste and be thicker on the palate.

I have a brauduino i built years ago and have modified the Spiedel Braumeister recipie. I swap out half the wheat for carapils, better head retention, and use 20g Tettang at the end of the boil because i prefer to, and this is without a doubt some of the best pils I or any of my friends/family/workmates who drink it have ever had.

I suggest kegging into a properly purged vessel, leaving it a week or two at below 4 degrees with no gas pressure, then keg-to-keg filter via a 1 micron filter, once again into a properly purged keg to avoid any contact with O2. Then carbonate as usual.

https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/brewing-recipes/pilsner.html

my money is on the VDK 2-3 Pentadione and a yeast underpitch.

used to get this when I fermented my ales too low, or my lagers underpitched.

I see you used only one packet of yeast, and I assume was fresh hence viable. Take a look at some of the yeast pitching calculators out there and I'd say you are pitching probably only half the yeast you should be.

Do a starter, and step up to the required cell count.

Latest posts

Back