Inhaled Sodium Met.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koikaze

Reaction score
Has anyone else accedentally done this?

My story: A few weeks back when I layed down a stout I could smell sodium met near my brew box where I keep all my equipment. and when I opened my box I breathed in naturally and I copped a faceful of the sodium met fumes! The sodium met jar was open! Anyway, My throat started to close up and i couldn't breathe properly, not an enjoyable experence at all! Seems that the fumes must have colleced nicely in my box over the few weeks.

Took all night for my lungs and headache to recover. But lucky i had a big pot of boiling water going, the steam helped a lot through the night. I was doing toxicology study for my uni exams just now and was remided of this event through the talk of inhalation and lung contractions! I looked up the LD50 and my dose would not be anywhere near the leathal amount so it made me feel safe to continue using sodium met... but i still feel like chaning sanitisers!

May as well change. There's countless better options that sodium met.

I've done this too... It's unpleasant.

My story: A few weeks back when I layed down a stout I could smell sodium met near my brew box where I keep all my equipment. and when I opened my box I breathed in naturally and I copped a faceful of the sodium met fumes! The sodium met jar was open! Anyway, My throat started to close up and i couldn't breathe properly, not an enjoyable experence at all! Seems that the fumes must have colleced nicely in my box over the few weeks.

Took all night for my lungs and headache to recover. But lucky i had a big pot of boiling water going, the steam helped a lot through the night. I was doing toxicology study for my uni exams just now and was remided of this event through the talk of inhalation and lung contractions! I looked up the LD50 and my dose would not be anywhere near the leathal amount so it made me feel safe to continue using sodium met... but i still feel like chaning sanitisers!

Get rid of it, there are far better and safer sanitisers.
BB

Yes I did this some years ago, bad stuff

I have been using napisan to clean follwoed up with idophor to sanitise and have had no issues with either. Idophor can do your hands in if you dont use gloves but fumes etc are a non-issue

sodium met is not at all a good choice as a sanitiser in brewing.
its damn good in home wine making though which is I guees where its use filtered through to beer.
i am actually quite averse to it, same thing, choking burning sensations, breathing difficulty, its like i have sent to hell and all is brimstone.
try something else (there are lots and every brewer has her or his favorite)

k

Idophor can do your hands in if you dont use gloves but fumes etc are a non-issue

What can it do to your hands.

Im interested because i have been known to get it on my hands (diluted) quite ofter when cleaning things for brew day.

And ditch the sodium met. I never opened the pack i got in my first home brew kit all those years ago :)

I chucked it in the bin and used unscented beach from the start on a recomendation of other brewers.......... a lot like the advice on this thread.

never looked back.

cheers

Yeah I didn't appreciate the effects so i think I'll be changing.

Yeah What can Idophor do to your hands?? I was gonna switch to that! *does a search for sanitizers to find alternative for sodium met*

I use Idophor & have done so for years, my hands are regulary splahed if not imersed in the stuff & have not noticed any ill effects.

If so. What are the adverse affects???

I use Idophor & have done so for years, my hands are regulary splahed if not imersed in the stuff & have not noticed any ill effects.

If so. What are the adverse affects???

I think he just meant the stains when undiluted? Not much of a down side when compared...

I only use a pinch of sodium met in the mash. Yesterday while stirring the mash copped a few inhalations of it. Made the lungs shrink for the next few hours.

Luxury !

When I was a lad all we had to breathe was sodium met. .....and loved it :lol: :lol:

Batz

Luxury !

When I was a lad all we had to breathe was sodium met. .....and loved it :lol: :lol:

Batz

......while you walked 90 Miles to school in bare feet in the snow.......

:p

I think he just meant the stains when undiluted? Not much of a down side when compared...

Ahhh yes......... it does stain, and bleach leaves nasty white spots and holes in your clothes. But i have onld clothes for brewing :)

I only use a pinch of sodium met in the mash. Yesterday while stirring the mash copped a few inhalations of it. Made the lungs shrink for the next few hours.

If it does that to your lungs, why are you putting it in your beer?

Yes its a known antioxident but it also murders yeast cells.

Coopers (and others) have a lot to answer for with their home brew kits. They put that shit in there and people just think thats what you should use.

Its a bit like the old "firment at 18 to 27 deg c" on the cans. People then think its ok to ferment at 27 deg c. And give up after a few because "home brew tastes like crap"

someone at coopers and other HB companies, needs a good smack in the head i think.

cheers

......while you walked 90 Miles to school in bare feet in the snow.......

:p

And sometimes I didn't have my feet,only stumps and it was salt not snow! :lol: :eek:

Batz

What can it do to your hands.

Im interested because i have been known to get it on my hands (diluted) quite ofter when cleaning things for brew day.

cheers

it stains, dries yor skin out, eats holes in your shirts etc

bought a pair of nitrile gloves at bunnings a year ago and they work a treat, normal rubber gloves dissolve within weeks

If it does that to your lungs, why are you putting it in your beer?

Yes its a known antioxident but it also murders yeast cells.
Based on what i've read on here and by "The Guru", it's gone once the boil is over. That, and I used to be a pretty violent sparger.

SM is not a sanitiser. It puts bugs to sleep to awaken and rise another day. The mear mention of it makes me gasp - how far have we come and still some cling onto the past.

That crap about adding to the mash is also crap. Do commercial brewers do it? None I know of, so why do it at home. CO2 and Alcohol are 2 of the bes preservatives I know of...

Scotty

Iodophor is one of my sanitisers of choice, it is widely used in the dairy industry, in fact you milk drinkers most certainly ingest some evey day.
As to why you should not get it on your hands, I was once told or read on the net that being a dairy cow product it actually contains an inert staining compound that turns flourescent green on contact with ejaculate, lets just say I keep it well away from my palms.

just wait till you cut it open rainbow boy !!!

Latest posts

Back